Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,593,949 times

Advertisements

Michael Pollan claims that Alaskan natives have low rates of CVD despite a high sat fat diet "whale blubber and a bit of Lichen"

Oh, maybe not so much of a paradox at all

Cardiovascular disease prevalence and its relation... [Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010] - PubMed result
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Michael Pollan claims that Alaskan natives have low rates of CVD despite a high sat fat diet "whale blubber and a bit of Lichen"

Oh, maybe not so much of a paradox at all

Cardiovascular disease prevalence and its relation... [Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010] - PubMed result

Well....first off this study was done from 2000 to 2004.........so that means......these people were probably living and eating the way most other Americans do.....that means a unhealthy diet.

I gaurantee you the Alaskan Natives are not eating much Whale Blubber and Seal Meat.....they are eating fast food junk and high carb goodies just like most everyone else.

And didn't this study mention HIGH SMOKING RATES.......gee, maybe that has something to do with their poor health????

Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,593,949 times
or maybe its this - (I keep learning new stuff every day)

"Wild animals that range freely and eat what nature intended, says Dewailly, have fat that is far more healthful. Less of their fat is saturated, and more of it is in the monounsaturated form (like olive oil). What’s more, cold-water fishes and sea mammals are particularly rich in polyunsaturated fats called n-3 fatty acids or omega-3 fatty acids. These fats appear to benefit the heart and vascular system. But the polyunsaturated fats in most Americans’ diets are the omega-6 fatty acids supplied by vegetable oils. By contrast, whale blubber consists of 70 percent monounsaturated fat and close to 30 percent omega-3s, says Dewailly.

Omega-3s evidently help raise HDL cholesterol, lower triglycerides, and are known for anticlotting effects. (Ethnographers have remarked on an Eskimo propensity for nosebleeds.) These fatty acids are believed to protect the heart from life-threatening arrhythmias that can lead to sudden cardiac death. And like a “natural aspirin,” adds Dewailly, omega-3 polyunsaturated fats help put a damper on runaway inflammatory processes, which play a part in atherosclerosis, arthritis, diabetes, and other so-called diseases of civilization."

So maybe eating whale blubber, wild seal and caribou meat, and lots of fish, is healthy.

In that list the only ones I can find at my local supermarket, are the fish.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
or maybe its this - (I keep learning new stuff every day)

"Wild animals that range freely and eat what nature intended, says Dewailly, have fat that is far more healthful. Less of their fat is saturated, and more of it is in the monounsaturated form (like olive oil). What’s more, cold-water fishes and sea mammals are particularly rich in polyunsaturated fats called n-3 fatty acids or omega-3 fatty acids. These fats appear to benefit the heart and vascular system. But the polyunsaturated fats in most Americans’ diets are the omega-6 fatty acids supplied by vegetable oils. By contrast, whale blubber consists of 70 percent monounsaturated fat and close to 30 percent omega-3s, says Dewailly.

Omega-3s evidently help raise HDL cholesterol, lower triglycerides, and are known for anticlotting effects. (Ethnographers have remarked on an Eskimo propensity for nosebleeds.) These fatty acids are believed to protect the heart from life-threatening arrhythmias that can lead to sudden cardiac death. And like a “natural aspirin,” adds Dewailly, omega-3 polyunsaturated fats help put a damper on runaway inflammatory processes, which play a part in atherosclerosis, arthritis, diabetes, and other so-called diseases of civilization."

So maybe eating whale blubber, wild seal and caribou meat, and lots of fish, is healthy.

In that list the only ones I can find at my local supermarket, are the fish.
I think it is a balance, try to get a good mix of them all. If you are eating higher in carbs you need to eat less fat......in my opinion..... because you are having more/higher insulin responses.

If you are eating a high fat/ very low carb diet I think that most of the fat you eat will be used for energy. Omega 6 is very prevalent in lots of fatty foods, bacon is mostly Omega 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss