Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM

817 posts, read 810,920 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read the book,
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

I am specifically interested if anyone has followed the diet plan mentioned in the book, I have been thinking about it, I have also read "The Paleo Solution" and this diet seems to follow most of the Paleo diet recommendations, I would like to find out if someone has had any success with following this diet, I have been thinking of starting this diet program from this weekend, hence very curious to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM

101 posts, read 227,047 times
I saw it yesterday in a bookstore, reading the backside the statement that you could burn a large sum of fat with ice. I tried looking quickly to see what that was about and did not find it. Do you have to sit in ice, eat it, sleep with it. What was that trick?

I looked for reviews and they were very mixed.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
Looked at it yesterday at the bookstore. It's a big book like an encyclopedia. Flipped through it, read a little....Timothy Ferris says to limit or omit fruit for weight loss & to have a "wild carb" day once a week to keep the metabolism going. I agree with him & think his book may be worth checking out. Mr. Ferries is some kind of millionaire entrepreneur, has his own original way of thinking. Gotta love that.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

I am specifically interested if anyone has followed the diet plan mentioned in the book, I have been thinking about it, I have also read "The Paleo Solution" and this diet seems to follow most of the Paleo diet recommendations, I would like to find out if someone has had any success with following this diet, I have been thinking of starting this diet program from this weekend, hence very curious to find out.
I know two things about this diet.

1. Ferriss is pretty much a laughing stock in serious body building circles. He has earned no respect.

2. I've only read about Paleo in passing and know alot of people are turned off by the fanboys, but it seems to be a generally well regarded plan. Meanwhile, people have commonly referred to Ferriss' plan as a watered down Paleo with a good helping of kooky Moderator cut: language removed sprinkled on top.

Long story short, if you've read Paleo you will learn nothing new from Ferriss' work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Looked at it yesterday at the bookstore. It's a big book like an encyclopedia. Flipped through it, read a little....Timothy Ferris says to limit or omit fruit for weight loss & to have a "wild carb" day once a week to keep the metabolism going. I agree with him & think his book may be worth checking out. Mr. Ferries is some kind of millionaire entrepreneur, has his own original way of thinking. Gotta love that.
You don't know enough on matters of nutrition and fitness to know whether his way of thinking is original or not. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would have been saying the same thing I said in point #2 up top.

Case in point, those mid week carb loads have been around before Ferriss was in Pampers. The plan I follow (created by a licensed physician and former world champion powerlifter TYVM) has advocated that going back to 1995 at the latest.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-04-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Dont know if anyone here has read the book but it sure looks like everyone read your thread.

5 replies and almost 200 views.

Everyone wants rapid fat loss and incredible sex but they dont want to pick up the book nor do they want to eat right (no sugar, not fats, no white breads, no sodas, etc.) or workout.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:50 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
I'd pick it up used just to read for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Dont know if anyone here has read the book but it sure looks like everyone read your thread.

5 replies and almost 200 views.

Everyone wants rapid fat loss and incredible sex but they dont want to pick up the book nor do they want to eat right (no sugar, not fats, no white breads, no sodas, etc.) or workout.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:

The best diet books are the simple ones. I personally like Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan. It's around 70 short pages, with large type and not many words on each page. It makes sense and isn't overly complicated. It has rules such as "If a 3rd grader can't read the ingredients, it's not food. Don't eat it". "if your grandmother or great-grandmother wouldn't have recognized it as food, don't eat it", etc.

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Books

Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
No, but with that title the author must be raking in the royalties!

Diet books are always a good money maker.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
A book that is promising "Incredible Sex" and this is only post #9? .....In two weeks?

I'm beginning to worry about this country.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A book that is promising "Incredible Sex" and this is only post #9? .....In two weeks?

I'm beginning to worry about this country.
Probably because anyone who Googled this clown saw that their supposed "superhuman" was, well....

...not so "super" after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss