Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
My stats are

6'1
24%(estimate)bf

I work fulltime(10 hrs a day) and go to school part time. This whole counting calories and multiple meals a day just doesn't work well for me..It clashes with my schedule, and i hate the fact that i have to revolve my whole day around food. Is there an easier way to drop the weight and gain minimal muscle? I don't want to get big, just want to get lean.
decrease your carbs and increase your proteins.
This is what I do, I have always been 30 pounds overweight (except in elementry, but when I hit 13), since college, and doing GI index and limiting the carbs I have been on target without actually doing exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
Just find a system and do it. Hint: eat & exercise.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
My stats are

6'1
24%(estimate)bf

I work fulltime(10 hrs a day) and go to school part time. This whole counting calories and multiple meals a day just doesn't work well for me..It clashes with my schedule, and i hate the fact that i have to revolve my whole day around food. Is there an easier way to drop the weight and gain minimal muscle? I don't want to get big, just want to get lean.
Yeah, forget the multi meals a day, it is just a bunch of hocus-pocus.....more of a pain in the a** than it is worth.

If you are limited in time why not try something like High Intensity Training.....work a lot harder for a much shorter period of time.

For diet......I recommend the best......an Atkins type diet.......High fat, low carb and adequate protein......3 meals a day.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Just plan out your menu in advance, and then stay on it. Allow for those nights out, lunches with friends, etc. After you've worked out your guidelines, follow them, but otherwise forget about it.

I post mine in my kitchen, and just look at it in the morning before I leave for my day.

If a week is too hard, start out planning tomorrow, tonight. Try that for a week and see if you can plan over a longer time.

Best wishes.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Allow for those nights out, lunches with friends, etc.
I've not had too much problem maintaining Atkins guidelines dining out and going to parties, etc. Just stick to meat, cheese and veggies. Ask someone else if they'd like your fries or other starchy sides. If they're serving burgers, remove the patty from the bun and wrap in a lettuce leaf. Skip dessert.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
Quote:
My stats are

6'1
24%(estimate)bf

You are going to have to know whats going on with your nutrition to do anything with your weight. There are no short cuts or simple answers if you want to lose the weight and keep it off. People can tell you more of this or that but its not good advice without knowing what you are already doing. You can overeat on proteins very easily because they are calorie dense.

Learning about the proper balance of macronutrients and calories will help you in the long run. You won't know everything instantly in once sentence and don't expect to. Its very important to learn the way to put together a good meal because of your limited time for exercise. Eventually all this learning about the proper way to eat will just become second nature. Doing multiple meals is not needed. You just need to not overeat for the day. You should however try to get in 3 square meals at least. If breakfast is a rush time you can always eat lighter and make up for it with lunch, dinner and maybe a random snack. When you know nutrition its much easier to tailor the plan to your limitations too.

Try this site:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

It gives you all you need. It even has a premade meal plan for weeks you don't want to bother with thinking. A bonus I really like is you can even print out the grocery list for the week. Talk about nice.

If you dont want the meal you can use this:
Recipe Calculator

or

Mix and Match Meal Planner

They also have a free phone app and you can google calories rather easily on your phone these days. The phone app helps you track and research on the go. Its all free. (site too)Spark has a free exercise plan too. Just sign up and plug in your info.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
You can still eat pasta and remain low carb, just learn the joys of Dreamfield Pasta Dreamfields Pasta Tastes Great, Low Carb Pasta, Diabetic Pasta, Healthy Pasta Recipes

I first learned about it in a diabetes class and have been a fan ever since. It looks and tastes just like regular pasta, so there isn't anything negative about it. Just make sure you use it in moderation since it does still have calories, but nowhere near the carbs of regular pasta and that's a great thing.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
My stats are

6'1
24%(estimate)bf

1. WW tracking can be less time intensive then straight calorie counting. You dont count veggies, fruits, or certain squashes.

2. WW has an approach for people who dont have time to track. They suggest A. Eat filling foods as much as possible - thats veggies, lean proteins, whole grains, non fat dairy. AND B. dont eat past where you feel sated. I dont know anyone who has done that, but I am told some people have success with that.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
You can also use lower carb veggies and sugar free sauce with minimal pasta. I made that a lot when I was doing a lower carb and still do. I actually prefer that now to pasta in its regular style.

I add: sugar free sauce, tomato, spinach, mushroom, green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, onion, garlic, and broccoli with a spoon of romano and sprinkle of mozzarella.

If you stick to one cup of any pasta you will be fine. That is the proper serving size and for 2000 cals per day fits the low carb profile per meal. But I liked to make the mix as 1/2 cup of pasta (typical sauce ladle is 1/2c) 1/2c sauce, 2 cups veggies.

I cook the veggies on the side so anyone can add as many as they like and they stay firm. So it makes it easier for multiple dinning styles.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
Combine this info with foods right for your blood type. So if you're an O eat red meat for protein. If you're an A have more fish, eggs, turkey, etc. Hint: this is the best advice on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
decrease your carbs and increase your proteins.
This is what I do, I have always been 30 pounds overweight (except in elementry, but when I hit 13), since college, and doing GI index and limiting the carbs I have been on target without actually doing exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss