Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So . . . from your observation . . . did this woman go back to bad habits once she was off the diet? In other words, she dieted, lost some weight, then slid back into making poor food choices? Do you know if she even attempted to follow the maintenance program?

I agree - if you temporarily lose weight only to return to the very habits that caused you to gain weight, there can't be progress and certainly no weight maintenance. I have seen people do this time and again. I am wondering if there are success stories of folks who have found the maintenance program on this diet reasonable and something they stuck with (changed habits, in other words).

Thank you for replying, btw.

yes she did so that is probably why this didn't work. I think she thought after 17 days she would lose the weight and go back to eating what she did before.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I do not appreciate the assumptions you folks have made.

I have never "fad dieted" in my life. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and that is the only DIET I have ever followed - one devised with a certified dietitian. I followed it to the letter and did very well with it . . . and delivered a healthy baby, who is now a grown adult.

I am fully aware how the body metabolizes food. I have written over 100 articles (published) on health related subjects, focusing on mind/body/spirit. Yes, articles I was PAID to write.

So stop with the lectures.

I asked about a specific diet b/c my friend is using it and she has lost weight. I DL'd the book to see what she is doing. It looks very sensible. It is very close to the South Beach Diet and has elements of both that diet and the Atkins diet in it.

A diet is simply a guideline that people can follow to manage their caloric intake. I was not asking about a magic pill. How condescending of you people!

It doesn't matter if you are following a diet written on paper or one you devise daily, based on whatever guidelines you feel are appropriate. So stop the snobbery and the holier than thou attitude. Some "diets" are totally valid b/c they offer a map to help folks make the right choices about healthy combinations of food, while lowering their caloric intake, and still preserving nutritional value.

My question . . . again . . . is for anyone who has used the 17 Day Diet over time (there is a maintenance section) and who has successfully managed to lose weight and keep it off for an extended period. My interest is in low carb guidelines as I am fully aware that I gain weight when I shift too many calories into that side of the equation. I am wondering if this is a style of eating that has worked for others, including the maintenance guidelines.

I could just as well have asked about the Atkins or South Beach diets. But I am interesting in learning more about the 17 Day Diet.

I am happy for all you folks who have figured out how to lose or maintain weight. I see your posts all over the forum, so I am fully aware of the drum you constantly beat. I asked a question and I am interested in receiving replies to that question, not more of the same "omg you are so stupid" remarks from you "experts."

there's no assumption...it's a fad diet...and diets do not work.

Why don't you go visit a dietician and or nutritionist and ask their opinions on these fad diets...you'll see that will tell you the same exact thing we are.... They. Don't. Work.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
yes she did so that is probably why this didn't work. I think she thought after 17 days she would lose the weight and go back to eating what she did before.

Take out the 17 day part and put in any other fad diet out there and the you'd get the same result.

Everyone who stops the 'diet' gets fat again....they think they can diet to lose the weight and then go back to the way they are before and stay slim....yeah, no.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:43 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,185 times
This book is specifically called the 17 Day diet and some of y'all cannot comprehend the difference between a temporary diet versus a diet overhaul+lifestyle change?

Once the 17 days of starvation and lies are over, you'll gain the weight back plus more.

When trying to lose weight you need to be realistic about your diet. In order to successfully lose weight and keep it off you must make changes that you can follow for the rest of your life.
That means smaller portions, plates filled with more vegetables than meats, limiting sweets and processed foods.

You need a calorie deficit+burning more calories than you've taken in. Losing water weight is not the same as losing fat.

I'm not sure why people choose to ignore the relatively easy concept of eating healthier while still consuming enough to not starve, versus following some ridiculous fad diet being advertised in order to maintain your laziness.

Laziness and an unwillingness to actually put in effort into losing weight is the key component to not actually losing weight

Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
This book is specifically called the 17 Day diet and some of y'all cannot comprehend the difference between a temporary diet versus a diet overhaul+lifestyle change?

Once the 17 days of starvation and lies are over, you'll gain the weight back plus more.

When trying to lose weight you need to be realistic about your diet. In order to successfully lose weight and keep it off you must make changes that you can follow for the rest of your life.
That means smaller portions, plates filled with more vegetables than meats, limiting sweets and processed foods.

You need a calorie deficit+burning more calories than you've taken in. Losing water weight is not the same as losing fat.

I'm not sure why people choose to ignore the relatively easy concept of eating healthier while still consuming enough to not starve, versus following some ridiculous fad diet being advertised in order to maintain your laziness.

Laziness and an unwillingness to actually put in effort into losing weight is the key component to not actually losing weight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss