Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times

Advertisements

I find that when I eat a big breakfast I just don't need a big lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 AM

865 posts, read 2,503,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Silly?

That tells me why you are still 20-25 pounds overweight. Typically, this falls into the scheme where big guys try to term themselves active/athletic, living in self-denial.

I'm 5 10, medium framed and I strive to keep my weight under 160 and I'm not slender by any means, I just don't have heavier muscles.

An 1800 calorie diet a day is the optimal goal for weight loss. And if 750 is knocked off at breakfast, that leaves just 500 apiece for lunch and dinner? That's ridiculous.
Great, more blanket statements So you can say I'm 25# overweight without ever having seen me? News flash for you - height and weight charts are bunk. If all the info you have is my height and weight you are in no position to judge my fitness. If you're interested, I'm a personal trainer and plenty lean; no self denial necessary

And if an active male is burning 3000 calories a day, than 1800 cal is far from optimal for weight loss. Stop trying to make statements as if they apply universally to everyone, it only makes you look foolish.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
And if an active male is burning 3000 calories a day, than 1800 cal is far from optimal for weight loss. Stop trying to make statements as if they apply universally to everyone, it only makes you look foolish.
How is that far from optimal? That would be just over 2 pounds a week.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
i'm looking for a really healthy breakfast, keeping front-loading carbs in mind. this breakfast will be for losing weight - i need it to be really healthy. this is what i am thinking of. what do you think?

- bowl of old fashion oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins added
- 2 fried eggs
- 1 orange or handful of fruit berries
- handful of almonds
- green tea

how is that?
I think you are on a good start....here is what I would do if I were you:

1) Id combine the oatmeal with the fruit berries, and leave the cinnamon to a min of either one spoonful or leave it out all together...the fruit will give you the sweetness to go with the bland oatmeal. thats exactly what I had this morning for breakfast

2) fried eggs are okay...are they over easy, over hard, or just scrambled? You can move up to three eggs, but just use one whole egg, and the other two egg whites only. Just throw the yoke away since that is the bulk of the calories in eggs.

as for cooking them, I guess thats a personal choice. I like to cook my eggs with pam, olive oil or coconut oil....my wife likes to cook her eggs in a spoonful of butter (just like Ihop, dennys, waffle house, etc), so as long as its not an every day thing, its okay

3) Id save the almonds for a mid-morning snack, between breakfast and lunch, probably two to two and half hours after your breakfast, or you can easily mix them in with some whey protein for a nice smoothie drink. Smoothie king has this particular smoothie and its called an almond deluxe...very good

I think you're off to a good start...just remember to eat small meals every 3-four hours and snacks in between your big meals.....I eat the three major meals, and have two protein shakes and a protein bar daily

Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM

I just read that cinnamon suppresses insulin spikes so you should probably keep that on the menu. I don't understand the fear of egg yolks. An egg with the yolk has a total of 90 calories. Remember, fat is your friend and will keep you from overeating calories during that and subsequent meals. I'd probably dump the oatmeal even with the cinnamon.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Great, more blanket statements So you can say I'm 25# overweight without ever having seen me? News flash for you - height and weight charts are bunk. If all the info you have is my height and weight you are in no position to judge my fitness. If you're interested, I'm a personal trainer and plenty lean; no self denial necessary

Ok, this is a common phenomenon I have seen in gyms. There are guys who are pauchy and chunky who wear a T-shirt that has "TRAINER" imprinted on it.

I'm not kidding. And these guys get paid to make other people lose weight. Try telling them they are overweight, well, not, they are trainers so they cannot be overweight, at least in their minds.

Good luck on the diet and weight loss I'd cut intake if I were you.

And instead of trying to mislead people that eating a rich breakfast is healthy, how about stating some facts. That everyone needs to calculate the calories needed for them on a daily basis (there are calculators out there) and then create a calorie "deficit" which the body will suffer from, badly need it and in turn use the adipose to make up for that deficit. Frankly, a rich breakfast as in the OP is downright outrageous for someone trying to lose weight. You should probably know it, trainer.

You can even run a marathon a day, but you are not losing weight unless you cut intake and generate a deficit.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
"You can move up to three eggs, but just use one whole egg"

that doesnt sound like insane fear of yolks to me. Yolks do have a higher total amount of calories.

if you are taking a low carb approach, and ignoring total calorie intake, theres no good reason to avoid egg yolks.

However for someone concerned with total calorie intake from all macro nutrients, the issue is different.

As for those with blood cholesterol concerns, its true that the balance of sat fat and unsat fat in egg yolks isnt bad. MUCH better than a lot of other animal fats. OTOH yolks tend to be high in cholesterol itself. There is in fact still some debate about how much actual cholesterol in diet matters, vs sat fat intake.

Egg (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AFAICT most of the "pro egg yolk" research suggest a MODERATE consumption of egg yolks (not more than one a day). Mixing in one yolk out of three eggs seems like a reasonable compromise (obviously people who eat eggs less often than once day could eat more yolks at a time and still keep within one yolk a day)

Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM

"Remember, fat is your friend and will keep you from overeating calories during that and subsequent meals. I'd probably dump the oatmeal even with the cinnamon."

I find oatmeal to be amazingly filling. I dont know if other carbs are addictive, but I can certainly say that oatmeal tends to leave me without hunger for anything else (or for oatmeal after that first bowl).

I dont think theres any general rule about what keeps people filled. Some folks say its fats. WW emphasizes fiber. At least one poster here says that all calories are equally filling for him. I suspect thats one of the key reasons different plans work better for different people. what makes us feel filled or hungry is SO much a matter of individual psychology, in a way many other nutritional issues are not.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And instead of trying to mislead people that eating a rich breakfast is healthy, how about stating some facts. That everyone needs to calculate the calories needed for them on a daily basis (there are calculators out there) and then create a calorie "deficit" which the body will suffer from, badly need it and in turn use the adipose to make up for that deficit. Frankly, a rich breakfast as in the OP is downright outrageous for someone trying to lose weight. You should probably know it, trainer
Sorry to burst your bubble but I eat a rich breakfast (low carb of course) every morning followed by two more rich meals and some snacks (also low carb) and am losing 2-3 pounds a week without suffering at all. I don't run marathons either but just walk 6-7 miles a day. Have lost 40 pounds since early April. I'm in my 50s. Weight loss isn't all that difficult if you get rid of the carbs.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but I eat a rich breakfast (low carb of course) every morning followed by two more rich meals and some snacks (also low carb) and am losing 2-3 pounds a week without suffering at all. I don't run marathons either but just walk 6-7 miles a day. Have lost 40 pounds since early April. I'm in my 50s. Weight loss isn't all that difficult if you get rid of the carbs.

do you actually track your calories? I bet that your "rich" meals arent as calorie laden as some might read into the word "rich".

I know for me, most of the high calorie foods I used to eat too much were ALSO high carb, as well as high fat foods (pizza, ice cream, etc, etc) I suspect many of the folks (not saying you necessarily) who lose on low carb diets are really ending up with a de facto calorie restricted diet, just without the tracking. (just as calorie restricted plans, and esp WW points plus, tends to get you to reduce your carb intake).

And BTW, 6-7 miles of walking a day is pretty good. At 3 MPH (not a bad pace at all) that over two hours a day - WW would give someone my weight 6 activity points a day for that. 42 activity points a week would translate into a lot more food intake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss