Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
. That everyone needs to calculate the calories needed for them on a daily basis (there are calculators out there) and then create a calorie "deficit" which the body will suffer from, badly need it and in turn use the adipose to make up for that deficit.

There are different approaches to losing weight. Its possible to reduce ones calorie intake and create a calorie deficit without actually calculating - I lost a lot of my weight from peak BEFORE I followed WW - I was certainly running a calorie deficit, even without calculating. Its easier to do that when one is VERY overweight, and one still may not lose weight as fast.

The low carb approaches seem to work too for many people. There seem to be multiple explanations for how they work in terms of calories, that vary in how sympathetic they are to the theories behind low carb. They vary from "low carbs changes your insulin and how you metabolize so you burn more and crave calorie intake less" to "low carb makes you too sick to eat"

Personally I think in many cases low carb results in lower calorie intake simply because so many high carb foods are high in calories period - esp some of Americas favorites that are very calorie dense from both carbs and fats - the usual candidates of french fries, pizza, ice cream, cake, etc.

I dont think too many people get fat from just steak and turkey, any more than they do from just fruit and whole grain bread.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 07-11-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
There are different approaches to losing weight. Its possible to reduce ones calorie intake and create a calorie deficit without actually calculating - I lost a lot of my weight from peak BEFORE I followed WW - I was certainly running a calorie deficit, even without calculating. Its easier to do that when one is VERY overweight, and one still may not lose weight as fast.

The low carb approaches seem to work too for many people. There seem to be multiple explanations for how they work in terms of calories, that vary in how sympathetic they are to the theories behind low carb. They vary from "low carbs changes your insulin and how you metabolize so you burn more and crave calorie intake less" to "low carb makes you too sick to eat"

Personally I think in many cases low carb results in lower calorie intake simply because so many high carb foods are high in calories period - esp some of Americas favorites that are very calorie dense from both carbs and fats - the usual candidates of french fries, pizza, ice cream, cake, etc.

I dont think too many people get fat from just steak and turkey, any more than they do from just fruit and whole grain bread.
Excellent summation. If a diet makes you too sick to eat, you should definitely switch to something else. Some people do experience something referred to as "The Atkins Flu", but it normally lasts for only a day or two at the most.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM

865 posts, read 2,503,145 times
Quote:
Ok, this is a common phenomenon I have seen in gyms. There are guys who are pauchy and chunky who wear a T-shirt that has "TRAINER" imprinted on it.

I'm not kidding. And these guys get paid to make other people lose weight. Try telling them they are overweight, well, not, they are trainers so they cannot be overweight, at least in their minds.
Tell you what, you keep believing that I must be "paunchy and chunky" without any evidence to support it, and I'll continue to think you are misinformed on the importance of height/weight charts and BMI.

BMI is useful for examining general populations as a whole, but individuals are unique and can vary widely in terms of BF%. Height/weight or BMI charts can show someone is at ideal weight or below, yet that person CAN have a higher than average BF% and be unhealthy (Females who practice extreme dieting without exercise are frequently prime examples). Conversely, your BMI can be considered "overweight" yet you can be lean, with a BF% well below average.

You posted earlier that at 5'7" and 170# I was still 20-25 pounds overweight. Interesting, given that at my lightest ever adult weight as a collegiate sprinter I was 154 (5-10 pounds heavier than you would have me) with a measured BF% of 3%.

Try treating people as individuals and stop pretending you know who they are based on relatively useless info. I only listed my size in my original post to provide a basis for comparison in terms of caloric requirements.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
i'm looking for a really healthy breakfast, keeping front-loading carbs in mind. this breakfast will be for losing weight - i need it to be really healthy. this is what i am thinking of. what do you think?

- bowl of old fashion oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins added
- 2 fried eggs
- 1 orange or handful of fruit berries
- handful of almonds
- green tea

how is that?
Green smoothie.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Tell you what, you keep believing that I must be "paunchy and chunky" without any evidence to support it, and I'll continue to think you are misinformed on the importance of height/weight charts and BMI.

BMI is useful for examining general populations as a whole, but individuals are unique and can vary widely in terms of BF%. Height/weight or BMI charts can show someone is at ideal weight or below, yet that person CAN have a higher than average BF% and be unhealthy (Females who practice extreme dieting without exercise are frequently prime examples). Conversely, your BMI can be considered "overweight" yet you can be lean, with a BF% well below average.

You posted earlier that at 5'7" and 170# I was still 20-25 pounds overweight. Interesting, given that at my lightest ever adult weight as a collegiate sprinter I was 154 (5-10 pounds heavier than you would have me) with a measured BF% of 3%.

Try treating people as individuals and stop pretending you know who they are based on relatively useless info. I only listed my size in my original post to provide a basis for comparison in terms of caloric requirements.
You're still overweight for your height, unless you have professional football/wrestler's build and are packed with sturdy muscle weight. There's a plethora of height/weight charts out there which provide optimal weights for men based on their height. I'd rather ask you check that out before defending extra body mass and playing on the side of a super rich breakfast.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but I eat a rich breakfast (low carb of course) every morning followed by two more rich meals and some snacks (also low carb) and am losing 2-3 pounds a week without suffering at all. I don't run marathons either but just walk 6-7 miles a day. Have lost 40 pounds since early April. I'm in my 50s. Weight loss isn't all that difficult if you get rid of the carbs.
I am quite convinced you do not eat much in later meals and are generating some form of good deficit by working out as well. So that rich breakfast does you no harm.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM

865 posts, read 2,503,145 times
Quote:
You're still overweight for your height, unless you have professional football/wrestler's build and are packed with sturdy muscle weight. There's a plethora of height/weight charts out there which provide optimal weights for men based on their height. I'd rather ask you check that out before defending extra body mass and playing on the side of a super rich breakfast.
Apparently you can't let go of your precious height/weight charts. My BA was in exercise phys, and my MS in public health ed. I'm very well aware of the "plethora" of height weight charts out there. That does nothing to change the fact that they have limited usefulness in evaluating an individuals health. Yes, the charts would say I'm "overweight", but my BF% says otherwise. Did you not bother reading my last post?

To the OP, sorry for high-jacking the thread. I'm through here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss