Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Fat 'disrupts sugar sensors causing type 2 diabetes'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
Wonder if these people were also funded for their "ice is cold" study... talk about masters of the obvious

(The typical) high fat diet will make you fat and being fat will make you diabetic. Been there, did that, have the trashed pancreas as a souvenir..

Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Wonder if these people were also funded for their "ice is cold" study... talk about masters of the obvious

(The typical) high fat diet will make you fat and being fat will make you diabetic. Been there, did that, have the trashed pancreas as a souvenir..
This is more than that, its actually about a biochemical pathway via fatty acids, not just about weight, IIUC (though I am not sure how they normalized for BMI).

Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
This is more than that, its actually about a biochemical pathway via fatty acids, not just about weight, IIUC (though I am not sure how they normalized for BMI).
I wish more of these studies were free to read so I could get a better understanding of exactly what its saying.

But, is it saying that those on a high fat diet have more free fatty acids in their blood, this fatty acid blinds cells to the level of blood sugar, so they are unable to regulate it. This then causes symptoms of type 2 diabetes? So, a surplus of fatty acids, caused by consuming fat, cause mice to be unable to regulate blood sugar?

Let me know if you find anything else on this, I'm def interested.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
This is another study conducted primarily on rodents. While it's an interesting premise, there will still have to be substantial further study in humans before any kind of conclusion can be made. I'm also somewhat skeptical based on them not mentioning exactly how high the fat intake was.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Could be interesting. However, they don't say if they controlled for carbohydrate consumption or at what level. Excess carbohydrates + fat is certainly going to be a problem. Fat alone doesn't appear to do all that much to blood sugar.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Could be interesting. However, they don't say if they controlled for carbohydrate consumption or at what level. Excess carbohydrates + fat is certainly going to be a problem. Fat alone doesn't appear to do all that much to blood sugar.
Yes, it's been shown that a high fat/low carb diet that gets weight down to a normal level can actually make type 2 diabetes disappear. If it takes a high fat regimen to get you to a normal weight you then maintain you're probably better off in the long run. I seriously doubt someone eating lots of fat but maintaining carbs under 20 grams a day is going to become diabetic.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yes, it's been shown that a high fat/low carb diet that gets weight down to a normal level can actually make type 2 diabetes disappear. If it takes a high fat regimen to get you to a normal weight you then maintain you're probably better off in the long run. I seriously doubt someone eating lots of fat but maintaining carbs under 20 grams a day is going to become diabetic.
Exactly. The first study I saw about high-fat low-carb diets and diabetics was the one performed at Limestone Medical Center in Wilmington, DE - which is practically across the street from my in laws house. They had great success with improvements in diabetics.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post

They said something about high fat and resulting obesity.

Im assuming that the control group had low fat and average carbs, and the high fat group had high fat and average carbs.

This was NOT a test of Atkins, people. A high fat low carb diet CAN fight diabetes if it results in weight loss. JUST AS a balanced calorie restricted diet can.

It DOES mean that one line people use - that problems with diabetes mean carbs are THE culprit because diabetes is about processing carbs - is not supported by this research.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
They said something about high fat and resulting obesity.

Im assuming that the control group had low fat and average carbs, and the high fat group had high fat and average carbs.

This was NOT a test of Atkins, people. A high fat low carb diet CAN fight diabetes if it results in weight loss. JUST AS a balanced calorie restricted diet can.

It DOES mean that one line people use - that problems with diabetes mean carbs are THE culprit because diabetes is about processing carbs - is not supported by this research.
Of course it wasn't a test of Atkins. But if they were testing the effects of one macronutrient, they need to control the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss