Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
You do understand that when you weigh 194 at 5'4 inches you are not going to be running any 5k, right? It is always best to start out small and work your way up from there.
Yeah, but you can walk it. Or, if you do a mile on the treadmill in 14 minutes, next time, try to do the mile in 13 minutes. Get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
I know conventional wisdom says once a week. However, I am afraid I am going to slack off and cheat if I only weigh myself once a week. However, I am afraid to weigh myself daily because I might get discouraged if I see fluctuations. Any advice? I really need to see that scale go down.
I don't think it makes much difference. If you see a fluctuation, chances are you know why "i had a huge dinner last night" for example. Scientifically it makes no difference. Most scientists would prefer more data, the more the better. Do whatever is most convenient.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think it makes much difference. If you see a fluctuation, chances are you know why "i had a huge dinner last night" for example. Scientifically it makes no difference. Most scientists would prefer more data, the more the better. Do whatever is most convenient.

Agreed, the reason I weight myself everyday is to have more data, and have a better defined trend.

Look at it this way, sometimes you weigh yourself on tuesday, and you are a pound below or above what you were monday, only to be right back to mondays weight by wednesday.

There are many factors to why you weigh what you do in the morning, and the best bet is it have more data to work with... because what if that one day a week you weigh yourself is one of those odd anomalies of a day... Better to have as much info to work with as possible, and figure out which way you're trending, unless of course it becomes obsessive or determines your mood for the day.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Originally Posted by theatergypsy
You came and asked for advice. You got the advice from several people. Some said, "Weigh", some said, "Don't weigh".

Confusing, I know, but let's face it, you're going to do what you want to do anyway. But your weight loss won't happen until and unless you make it happen. That means commitment to proper eating and regular exercise. Neither of which you seem inclined to do just now.

Quote:
I don't know why people keep saying this. I REALLY wanted a bowl of Ramen noodles and shrimp last night and said NO to myself. I weighed myself this a.m. and lost another 1.4 lbs, bringing the total for 29 days to 8.8 lbs. in a month. Just because I have not jumped on the elliptical YET doesn't mean I'm not sincere, but I really would like the opportunity to start a walking program first. I live in the desert, where temps have been between 108 and 112 every day recently. I am NOT going to walk in that. Heck, according to a poster in the Phoenix forum we have not seen a summer like this in forty years. It reached 117 the other day and there have been several heat advisories. I am not going to drop dead trying to get into shape.

BTW, people really do adjust their lives around the heat here. I go to bed usually before 9 (or like to) and I get up at 3 or 4 as it's not as hot. Workers really have a hard time (outdoors) and like to start as early as possible. This heat is brutal. Like I said, I think I'm doing the Atkins diet, except cheating with cream in my coffee. 8.8 lbs later it's working. I will take that loss anyway I can get it. It's a slow and sensible loss.
If "people" other than myself, are saying this to you, Misty, it just may be that it's true.

You failed to disclose that you live in hell...er, Phoenix...and that's the reason you can't regularly walk. And yet earlier on, you did state that it was possible to walk if you did it early in the morning, before the heat became overwhelming.

You say that you're following the Atkins but cheating with cream in your coffee.

You have more to worry about than whether or not to weigh yourself every day.

If this sounds harsh, I don't intend it to be. I'm just trying to make you see the contradictions in what you post here and encourage you to commit fully to better eating and consistent exercise.

I suggest you forget the scale for now and use your clothes as your guide to weight loss. When your pants (or skirts) start feeling loose, you know you're losing.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I haven't been on a diet in 20 years, but when I was I liked the reinforcement of weighing daily. I had (still have) an accurate balance scale (aka doctor's scale) in my bedroom, and I'd weigh each morning and enter in on a graph for how much I wanted to lose.

The problem with any weight loss diet is that when the goal is reached, most go back to the old eating habits and gain the weight back, and that's worse than never losing it.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I haven't been on a diet in 20 years, but when I was I liked the reinforcement of weighing daily. I had (still have) an accurate balance scale (aka doctor's scale) in my bedroom, and I'd weigh each morning and enter in on a graph for how much I wanted to lose.

The problem with any weight loss diet is that when the goal is reached, most go back to the old eating habits and gain the weight back, and that's worse than never losing it.
So, are you saying it's better to weigh yourself every day to determine by graph how much you want to lose, but it's pointless to do so because you'll only gain it back anyway?

I view weight loss just like quitting smoking. Just because you relapsed doesn't mean you shouldn't try again...and again...and however many times it takes to make it stick. I have quit smoking - a 55-year-habit. That was seven years ago next month. I am currently on a weight loss regimen. I fully intend to keep doing what I'm doing, because it is doable, even after I have lost the desired amount of weight. Will I gain a pound or two at some point? Sure. But it won't be determined by the scale - as soon as my pants won't button, or snap, or zip, I'll know I've reached critical mass and attend to it.

The scale is not always your friend, especially if it causes you to be discouraged when it doesn't tell you what you want to hear/see, which is what the OP said would happen to her if she didn't see results.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
You say that you're following the Atkins but cheating with cream in your coffee.
Actually that's not cheating. Cream has no carbs. Perfectly fine on Atkins.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Originally Posted by theatergypsy
You came and asked for advice. You got the advice from several people. Some said, "Weigh", some said, "Don't weigh".

Confusing, I know, but let's face it, you're going to do what you want to do anyway. But your weight loss won't happen until and unless you make it happen. That means commitment to proper eating and regular exercise. Neither of which you seem inclined to do just now.

If "people" other than myself, are saying this to you, Misty, it just may be that it's true.

You failed to disclose that you live in hell...er, Phoenix...and that's the reason you can't regularly walk. And yet earlier on, you did state that it was possible to walk if you did it early in the morning, before the heat became overwhelming.

You have more to worry about than whether or not to weigh yourself every day.

If this sounds harsh, I don't intend it to be. I'm just trying to make you see the contradictions in what you post here and encourage you to commit fully to better eating and consistent exercise.

I suggest you forget the scale for now and use your clothes as your guide to weight loss. When your pants (or skirts) start feeling loose, you know you're losing.

I'm sorry, but I just have to LOL. I don't always like to disclose I live in Phoenix, because it IS hell and it's something to be embarrassed about. However, if pressed, I will. Without a doubt, this was the biggest and dumbest thing I ever did, so I don't advertise it. As I already said, I won't dodge sprinklers at 6 a.m. and I won't walk in the heat and it does get tiresome to walk around the same damn houses over and over at 6 a.m. I will disclose I had NO issue walking the hills in San Francisco and LOVED walking in Chinatown, the financial district, on the beach, all over (which was actually the best decision I ever made). When one has lived that experience, it's just too hard to walk in the same monotonous neighborhood day after day. Oh well, I'll take it day by day and worry about it all when I get there.

Right now, eating less is working for me and results are what matter. Who cares if I'm not perfect? This thread was about to weigh everyday or not? I already said I'd weigh everyday earlier. This thread was not about telling Misty she has more to worry about and "other issues" more important. I already have a therapist, thank you.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
Quote:
You do understand that when you weigh 194 at 5'4 inches you are not going to be running any 5k, right?
i have a friend whos 5'4, 200lbs and RUNS 5ks on a fairly regular basis...she does very well, enjoys it and usually falls in the early middle of the pack but shes only been running for about a year and improves with each run she does...
sorry i just had to pick that bit out because it bothers me when people say your height and weight mean you CANT do somethign...ive known many sknny people who couldnt run a 5k and plenyt of fat people who can and do...
at my heaviest (350) i was constantly being told there was absolutly no possible way i could swim a mile in any amount of time...and yet i was doing it 3 times a week and charting in typically under 45 mins for that mile (now i do it in less)

generalizations dont work.

in terms of the OP...
personally i cannot weigh in daily, id drive myself crazy...i weigh in once a week, first thing, in my undies, after potty just after getting up.
i take my measurments once a week too...and pictures once a month. i do however keep track of how im feeling every day and i keep track of everything i eat every day
i find those all keep me plenty on track without driving me batty wiht the daily fluctuations of a number on the scale.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I just have to LOL. I don't always like to disclose I live in Phoenix, because it IS hell and it's something to be embarrassed about. However, if pressed, I will. Without a doubt, this was the biggest and dumbest thing I ever did, so I don't advertise it. As I already said, I won't dodge sprinklers at 6 a.m. and I won't walk in the heat and it does get tiresome to walk around the same damn houses over and over at 6 a.m. I will disclose I had NO issue walking the hills in San Francisco and LOVED walking in Chinatown, the financial district, on the beach, all over (which was actually the best decision I ever made). When one has lived that experience, it's just too hard to walk in the same monotonous neighborhood day after day. Oh well, I'll take it day by day and worry about it all when I get there.

Right now, eating less is working for me and results are what matter. Who cares if I'm not perfect? This thread was about to weigh everyday or not? I already said I'd weigh everyday earlier. This thread was not about telling Misty she has more to worry about and "other issues" more important. I already have a therapist, thank you.
Rest easy, there grl. I'll not mention your whereabouts again.

As for everything else, your original question was about weighing daily or not, along with the statement that you were afraid you'd get discouraged if you didn't seem to lose.

Well, I'll answer your original question - I vote for not weighing every day. What you do with that information is up to you. Will you keep us posted on your progress?

Last edited by theatergypsy; 09-02-2011 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss