Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,686 times

Advertisements

This is not a very easy topic and needless to say no matter how healthy something is the truth remains - - - eating too much of anything is bad for you. I just learned eating corn is bad for you because it should not be considered a vegatable because its high in startch and it does not break down. And I belive its the add on in foods that make the food bad for you not the cost. I cook cabbage with greens, corn bread, homemade mac and cheese and a grilled steak or piece of chicken this dinner run me about 25.00 and It feeds 4 ppl. You may say thats unhealthy but I say I need honey for my money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:06 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,743,887 times
When I first started to lose weight all these new "scientific studies" showing that *insert food item here* is bad for you made me really confused and frustrated. It is getting ridiculous and I am starting to disregard them and eat the foods that I know taste good and are healthy. With those studies you might as well say that everything is "bad" for you.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM

22,695 posts, read 24,737,532 times
I guess that I am very strange, don't eat the stuff that most on this thread eat.

I eat 3 meals a day and that is it, much easier to make 3 healthy meals as opposed to 5-7 as is the fad. I consider health mainly meats/eggs/fish and veggies with some nuts thrown in for good measure............and organ meats............yummy. Yes, I also eat junk....sorry, just being honest.

As far as buying/preparing foods with a high Fru-Fruosity factor...........forget it.......organic foods/tiny-high-priced foods and foods that take forever to make......I do not touch them.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 PM

553 posts, read 1,548,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
We actually do make that meal. We get the frozen stir fry vegetable mix and cook it on the skillet over rice. The problem is that its hard to eat that way without some kind of sauce. I found a low sodium teriyaki sauce that I really like but then that seems to ruin the nutrition value. Do you just eat it "dry"? If not, what do you use as a flavoring?
It doesn't "ruin" the nutrition value. Use whatever sauce you like. It's still healthier than fast food.

Quote:
As for the bread, I would like to get that but I went today and specifically asked every grocery store in town if they had low carb bread and nobody had any so I just got whole wheat.
Carb Helper bread is made by Kroger, if that helps.

Quote:
I had never heard of Boca Burgers before but when I go to their website the package looks so familiar so maybe they have that at my local super Wal-Mart (the only grocery store in my town that has a decent selection).
Or you could try Morning Star too. Both brands of veggie products are very good. I wait for those to go on sale and I use the coupons from their website.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 PM

270 posts, read 489,323 times
[/quote]Personally (since I am the world's cheapest man), I make a huge salad on a Sunday and take a little to work with me each day for three or four days. I only have to make one salad this way. I usually just grab a variety of food sitting in the fridge, fruit, piece of chicken some cheese, piece of bread, left overs from the night before, a couple hard boiled eggs, just whatever is laying around. I probably spend $2 or $3 a DAY on food for me, that's it.[/quote]

Charles,
How do you keep your salads fresh? That's a big frustration for me...I'd like to eat more salad but after opening up the lettuce bag or container, it gets brown or wilty after a day and then it's not the least bit appetizing to me HOw do you make yours last several days??!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,743,171 times
Personally (since I am the world's cheapest man), I make a huge salad on a Sunday and take a little to work with me each day for three or four days. I only have to make one salad this way. I usually just grab a variety of food sitting in the fridge, fruit, piece of chicken some cheese, piece of bread, left overs from the night before, a couple hard boiled eggs, just whatever is laying around. I probably spend $2 or $3 a DAY on food for me, that's it.[/quote]

Charles,
How do you keep your salads fresh? That's a big frustration for me...I'd like to eat more salad but after opening up the lettuce bag or container, it gets brown or wilty after a day and then it's not the least bit appetizing to me HOw do you make yours last several days??![/quote]

Don't buy bagged salad. Just get the fresh stuff that is still a whole head. You get more for your money and it doesn't wilt so quickly. To prep it for keeps you tear it apart and rinse it. Using a knife crushes the leaves and shortens the life of the leaf. Let it dry after rinsing and put loosely in a bowl with a paper-towel at the bottom and tightly cover the bowl. You may want to pat the leaves dry. Leave it on your bottom shelf or crisper. Make sure your fridge is not too cold or too warm. Turn the lettuce the next day like how you fold in batter for baking so no pooling water speeds up the wilting.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,538,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post

Charles,
How do you keep your salads fresh? That's a big frustration for me...I'd like to eat more salad but after opening up the lettuce bag or container, it gets brown or wilty after a day and then it's not the least bit appetizing to me HOw do you make yours last several days??!
One thing you can do is buy a lemon or lime and squeeze it over anything you cut. This will prevent the browning caused by the blade hitting the insides and starting the oxidation process. Also, limit the moisture to your greens. This will make them last longer and stay crisper. Buy lots of Tupperware to do this

Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,341,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Don't buy bagged salad. Just get the fresh stuff that is still a whole head. You get more for your money and it doesn't wilt so quickly. To prep it for keeps you tear it apart and rinse it. Using a knife crushes the leaves and shortens the life of the leaf. Let it dry after rinsing and put loosely in a bowl with a paper-towel at the bottom and tightly cover the bowl. You may want to pat the leaves dry. Leave it on your bottom shelf or crisper. Make sure your fridge is not too cold or too warm. Turn the lettuce the next day like how you fold in batter for baking so no pooling water speeds up the wilting.
I interpret that to mean the bags where the lettuce is already cut up. I get the whole hearts of romaine in a bag and they stay fresh for about a week. At Trader Joes they're about $2.79 for three heads which is pretty reasonable. After a few days, they generally turn brown (not too appetizing) on the outer leaves before they wilt. In that case just discard those and use the rest.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM

29,788 posts, read 34,596,352 times
Also when you buy bagged salad, don't get the mixtures with the purple lettuces in them. For whatever reason those lettuces get mushy much faster than greens.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,041,878 times
I get the bags of baby spinich. That is my salad. Sometimes it organic, other times its just regular and still only about $2.00 - $3.00 and its lasts a week if I only eat it with my regular meals.

My "salad" is almost always raw baby leaf spinich with just a sprinkle of lemon pepper. Sometimes, I'll get fancy and throw in some walnuts or craisins, but for the most part, its pretty simple, basic and delish. Its a LOT cheaper than going through Taco Bell or McDs drive through where one meal could cost $7.00 - $9.00. Healthier and cheaper!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss