Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

What happens when you start eating less sugar and carbs? Is it possible that starches contribute more to bad health than we've been led to believe?

In the L.A. Times today:

Science journalist Gary Taubes thinks we've got it all wrong about fat and carbohydrates. In his new book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control and Disease," Taubes argues that a diet rich in carbohydrates -- not excess calories or a sedentary lifestyle -- makes people fat and unhealthy. The book expands on his controversial, 2002 cover story for the New York Times Magazine in which he argued that a diet high in fat and low in carbs, similar to the Atkins diet, was more effective at controlling weight and preventing disease.

What do you want readers to take away from the book?

I want them to see how little real evidence there is to blame heart disease on dietary fat and cholesterol. I want them to see the evidence for blaming it on sugar, white flour and easily digestible starches like potatoes and rice. I want them to understand that it's not crackpot to say that these diseases could be caused by carbohydrates; it's a legitimate conclusion from the existing evidence. I want readers to understand that obesity is not about the quantity of calories we consume -- it's about the quality. Then I want them to give the book to their doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Carbs are good as long as they are the correct ones (unrefined, whole grains for example). To cut out an entire food group is not smart excepting allergen concerns. There's a reason why Atkins went bankrupt.

Last edited by groove1; 10-22-2007 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,116 times
A great deal of my diet ARE carbs. Whole grains and legumes. I'm a Macrobiotic (see thread on MB's if you want). I actually lost 30 pounds.
I'm also pretty sure what I consider a balanced diet is different than what a lot of folks do.About 60 % of my diet are grains and about 10% are beans and the rest is vegtables. I do eat a little fish as well. Zero sugar and zero processed foods and as organic as possible.The thing about MB's is that its more of a lifestyle than just a diet which is why it's easy to maintain.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
A great deal of my diet ARE carbs. Whole grains and legumes. I'm a Macrobiotic (see thread on MB's if you want). I actually lost 30 pounds.
I'm also pretty sure what I consider a balanced diet is different than what a lot of folks do.About 60 % of my diet are grains and about 10% are beans and the rest is vegtables. I do eat a little fish as well. Zero sugar and zero processed foods and as organic as possible.The thing about MB's is that its more of a lifestyle than just a diet which is why it's easy to maintain.
This is similar to me as far as diet. I'm 34 yo, 6'4" and about 180. Could probably stand to gain a few lbs.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Complex carbs keep people healthy and fit.
Refined carbs make people unhealthy and fat.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
In the article I referenced about, I think the author of the book states he is referring to sugars and easy-to-digest carbs such as white flour, white rice, white bread, and potatoes. And I agree with you that it's easier to change the lifestyle as opposed to going on a diet. I stopped eating the while flour and sugar about two weeks ago and my pants are hanging loose. Happens very quickly. And I feel soooo much better.

Greenie

Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 AM

163 posts, read 908,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Complex carbs keep people healthy and fit.
Refined carbs make people unhealthy and fat.
This pretty much sums it up. However, you need to be really careful, because the processed food industry goes out of their way to advertise things as being "healthy", when they are anything but. They do this primarily by hiding bad carbs behind the good ones.

For example, common sense would tell you that eating whole wheat bread is good for you. But if you take a look at the label on your typical loaf of whole wheat bread, you'll find sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc, on the list of ingredients. You might even find some hydrogenated oils lurking in their too.

If you really want to be healthy, you've got to eliminate all sugars & refined simple carbs...but make sure you are eating healthy, real complex carbs...don't cut out all carbs, because that is unhealthy too.

Also, the whole idea that people need to eliminate all fats from their diet to loose weight/be healthy, is total rubbish. You need fats in your diet. Your diet should be at least 15% fats, in order for your body to function properly, and for you to be able to metabolize your food properly. All this low fat stuff, and the chemicals they put in it to mimic the fat, will throw your hormones out of whack, and keep you from losing weight. The trick is to eat real, healthy fats, while eliminating all the bad fats.

I'd recommend reading a book called "The Schwarzbein Principle". It's written by an endocrinologist who explains the whole truth about good carbs, bad carbs, fats, and becoming healthy through proper nutrition. I've seen this program work wonders for many people including myself.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
This pretty much sums it up. However, you need to be really careful, because the processed food industry goes out of their way to advertise things as being "healthy", when they are anything but. They do this primarily by hiding bad carbs behind the good ones.

For example, common sense would tell you that eating whole wheat bread is good for you. But if you take a look at the label on your typical loaf of whole wheat bread, you'll find sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc, on the list of ingredients. You might even find some hydrogenated oils lurking in their too.

If you really want to be healthy, you've got to eliminate all sugars & refined simple carbs...but make sure you are eating healthy, real complex carbs...don't cut out all carbs, because that is unhealthy too.

Also, the whole idea that people need to eliminate all fats from their diet to loose weight/be healthy, is total rubbish. You need fats in your diet. Your diet should be at least 15% fats, in order for your body to function properly, and for you to be able to metabolize your food properly. All this low fat stuff, and the chemicals they put in it to mimic the fat, will throw your hormones out of whack, and keep you from losing weight. The trick is to eat real, healthy fats, while eliminating all the bad fats.

I'd recommend reading a book called "The Schwarzbein Principle". It's written by an endocrinologist who explains the whole truth about good carbs, bad carbs, fats, and becoming healthy through proper nutrition. I've seen this program work wonders for many people including myself.
Excellent post.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM

79 posts, read 286,054 times
Weight loss account for 75%. 20% from excercise / cardio. And 5% dietary and vitamin supplements. That's the info my personal trainer gave me.

Counting calories and meal planning is a time consuming work. But it does not take every time to count calories until you've established healthy meal choices over time.

And when you reach a certain body fat & muscle ratio, maintaining becomes easier because your bodies metabolism is working at an optimum level.

I also did the Atkins and other low carb diet. One lesson I learned that it does take from 4 days to 2 weeks to get rid of the "sweet cravings" when my body craves it. It is important to have alternate food available that is healthier such as fruits instead of chocolate bars. Popcorn is surprisingly a good craving fixer, just drink water before and after.

Increasing water intake is also a good habit to do. Not soda, not coffee, not icedtea--just plain water.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post

I hope you didn't write that post for me. (since you quoted me)I already know all of what you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss