Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 AM

163 posts, read 908,605 times

Advertisements

I used your quote as a reference point, but it was addressed to the original poster and the topic in general, not you...sorry if this somehow offended you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,513 times
I eat a moderate (pretty much the key word for me in everything - lol) amount of carbs every day - try to balance all things...even a little of the "naughty" ones...! Being a vegetarian for 12 years, I've had to learn to eat enough in a very balanced way. I'm 5'4" and weigh 118. I have to admit one of my favorite bad carbs is "Minute Rice" - but I just eat a little bit every once in a while...then make up for it in between with the good stuff!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
I eat a moderate ( I have to admit one of my favorite bad carbs is "Minute Rice" - but I just eat a little bit every once in a while...then make up for it in between with the good stuff!
Might not be as rewarding to you but stores like Trader Joe's and probably Whole Foods sell boxes of "organic brown rice" that has packets inside that you can pop in the microwave and cook in I think it's three minutes.
As a macrobiotic person I next to never use a microwave...too bad they dont have macrowaves...LOLOLOL

Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
...As a macrobiotic person I next to never use a microwave...too bad they dont have macrowaves...LOLOLOL
GOOD ONE - LOL!!!

I know, I know...but for some reason I actually HATE brown rice... Don't know why, just have never liked it. I do like just about every other healthful thing, tho...

Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
GOOD ONE - LOL!!!

And I could cook some macro-oni & cheese in my macro-wave...ok ok...sorry...lol

Old 10-24-2007, 10:41 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,056 times
Do people agree that refined carbs and simple sugars actually contribute to bad health? The author of the book claims they make people obese and contribute to cancers and heart disease. I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Do people agree that refined carbs and simple sugars actually contribute to bad health? The author of the book claims they make people obese and contribute to cancers and heart disease. I wouldn't be surprised.
The trick in avoiding heart disease and cancers is to build up your immune system which also means avoiding stress among other things. While stress comes in many forms, we can deal with it in two ways we are all in agreement about I think...foods and lifestyle.
Starting with the more simple common sense approaches would include avoiding sugar and large doses of caffine which only speed your system up like meth does which results in a shakey world and crashing = tension and stress.
Meditation if nothing else will bring you back to zero level. We're all filled with all kinds of commotion inside ourselves and deserve to turn that all off daily for short periods of time...naturally... as in meditation.
If you really haven't done meditation and you try it for just five minutes my guess is you won't even last that long. That HAS TO say something to you/people about how busy you are inside. Just concentrate on your beath and think of nothing else. Try it...see how long you all last. Its an interesting experiment.
Once you get into the groove of a daily meditation...15-20 minutes a day set aside should become common practice.
Turning that stress faucet down is the start in building up your immune system...and then along with foods free of sugar and chemicals will be a very good start.
Cut back on processed foods
If ya'll honestly care

Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
TOO MUCH of almost anything besides fruits and veggies can make people obese and contribute to a variety of illnesses. Minimal amounts of refined carbs and simple sugars, IMHO--not a problem...Moderation is key!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Might not be as rewarding to you but stores like Trader Joe's and probably Whole Foods sell boxes of "organic brown rice" that has packets inside that you can pop in the microwave and cook in I think it's three minutes.
As a macrobiotic person I next to never use a microwave...too bad they dont have macrowaves...LOLOLOL
Be careful what you buy at TJ's...they are by no means a complete natural/organic store. They sell a lot of products with artificial ingredients, sweeteners, and preservatives and also fish from China.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 AM

163 posts, read 908,605 times
I've read several times that Uncle Bens Original Converted Rice, actually has the lowest glycemic load of any rice...even lower than brown rice. It has something to do with the process they use to parboil it.

The reason simple carbs are bad, is because they cause too much insulin to be released. Foods with a lower glycemic load will result in lower amounts of insulin being released. The glycemic index/load of a food is what you can look at to quantify what is a "bad carb", vs a "good carb".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss