Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Do people agree that refined carbs and simple sugars actually contribute to bad health? The author of the book claims they make people obese and contribute to cancers and heart disease. I wouldn't be surprised.
I absolutely agree. I have also found that in real life, eating refined carbs sets up a craving cycle which results in an overwhelming desire for yet more refined carbs etc.

With complex carbs as in fresh veggies and whole grains, with sufficient protein and fat, I actually eat less since I am satisfied more quickly, and stay satiated a lot longer.

And all the research I have been doing on diabetes is poiinting towards a different approach to carbs, emphasizing the complex ones, omitting the refined ones.

IMHO, all carbs eventually turn to sugar in the body anyaway, but those with fiber do so more gently, and don't stress the system as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 02:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I absolutely agree. I have also found that in real life, eating refined carbs sets up a craving cycle which results in an overwhelming desire for yet more refined carbs etc.
Ice cream begets more ice cream begets more ice cream.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
I used your quote as a reference point, but it was addressed to the original poster and the topic in general, not you...sorry if this somehow offended you.
LOL..no, it didn't offend me. Ok, well maybe just a little...

Old 10-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Do people agree that refined carbs and simple sugars actually contribute to bad health? The author of the book claims they make people obese and contribute to cancers and heart disease. I wouldn't be surprised.
It's not just the refined carbs helping make people fat, although its a part..it's the additives in droves in those foods.
High fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, modified corn starch, maltodextrin, yeast extract(MSG),etc.

Natural sugar, like evaporated cane juice is better than refined white sugar. And sweeter too. So less is more.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's not just the refined carbs helping make people fat, although its a part..it's the additives in droves in those foods.
High fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, modified corn starch, maltodextrin, yeast extract(MSG),etc.

Natural sugar, like evaporated cane juice is better than refined white sugar. And sweeter too. So less is more.
Actually, dietitically speaking sugar is sugar sugar, whether it's cane juice, refined white sugar, sugar in the raw, etc. For example, diabetics cannot generally have any of them because the effect is the same. HFCS is different because it's a processed synthetic sweetener that your body thinks is fat. While yeast extract CONTAINS msg, they are not one and the same.

MSG (http://www.msgmyth.com/msg.htm - broken link)

MSG / monosodium glutamate -- hidden in processed food

The MSG is often minimal. As for me, I am sensitive to MSG but it takes a lot to set me off, like the amounts used in a lot of soups and especially taco seasoning packets.

Last edited by groove1; 10-24-2007 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 03:21 AM

I am sensitive to MSG and wheat gluten. They can be hidden in something (natural flavors)and not long after eating foods with them in it, or unknowingly in them, i know that i ate one or the other because the pain is so intense in my joints. So i have to pop a codeine/tylenol just to function again.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,769 times
What I don't understand is how Asian people are so skinny yet they eat tons of white rice which is suppose to be high glycemic.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
What I don't understand is how Asian people are so skinny yet they eat tons of white rice which is suppose to be high glycemic.
It's called smaller portions. What is considered dinner here is considered a smorgasbord over there, and in many "Asian" countries, is your whole day's worth of food. And, food there is more natural with fewer artificial ingredients and processing. Finally, people are more active in other Asian countries as the concepts of convenience aren't the same. Japan is the notable exception, but people there eat healthy and in smaller portions so they don't get really fat.

I was able to lose 30 lb by exercising three times a day by bicycling for 30 minutes and eating mostly vegetables and tofu and nuts for my protein, and cut down how much I ate.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
It's called smaller portions. What is considered dinner here is considered a smorgasbord over there, and in many "Asian" countries, is your whole day's worth of food. And, food there is more natural with fewer artificial ingredients and processing. Finally, people are more active in other Asian countries as the concepts of convenience aren't the same. Japan is the notable exception, but people there eat healthy and in smaller portions so they don't get really fat.

I was able to lose 30 lb by exercising three times a day by bicycling for 30 minutes and eating mostly vegetables and tofu and nuts for my protein, and cut down how much I ate.
I work with a large number of Chinese people (from China, not Chinese-Americans) and they almost always bring their lunches to work. They are all slim and all of them eat about a cup to a cup and a half of white rice at lunch in addition to stir-fried or steamed vegetables, sometimes beans, and tofu or usually, fish. The rice that they eat is not American long-grain white rice; it's some other variety, though I would wager it is not much healthier. Their lunches are healthy overall but they are not small! Maybe they skip breakfast and eat light at dinner.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Remember, that people have different genetics which means all of us may be more prone to insulin resistance than others. I know for myself, that my body is very sensitive to carbs and I lose a considerable amount of weight if I lower my overall carbohydrate content and simple carbs in particular. Sure, there are Japanese and Chinese people that consume mass quantities of white rice and are thin bean poles likewise there are Americans who consume burgers and pizza on a daily basis and are thin bean poles. Everyone is different and you need to evaluate how your particular body reacts to food. You can't compare yourselves to others and say "Well he is eating white rice and is thin so that I can do that too" NOPE

I'm a physician and let me tell you, all these diet books say the same thing. They just focus on certain aspects or spin certain things. Atkins was correct. If you deprive your body of carbohydrates which is the easiest and most immediate source of glucose, the body will break down fat to make ketone bodies which your brain can use if it doesn't have sufficient glucose. Also, the Atkins diet never stressed no carbs. There is a 2 week cleansing period of no carbs but then he introduces carbs back into the diet which include whole grains and fruits and vegetables...gee...sounds kind of like the South Beach Diet. The difference between the Atkins diet and the South Beach Diet, is Atkins will not distinguish between the types of protein and would advocate cheese, and red meat with high fat content whereas the Atkins would encourage lean protein like chicken and fish. Atkins emphasizes the high fat content for a reason because it will keep you full and make the diet easier to follow. And yes for some individuals with low total cholesterol, low LDL and normal levels of HDL (people with what I call "good filters") can do just fine on an Atkins diet. For people like myself with high cholesterol and high LDL, Atkins isn't so good for us.

My advice is to eat carbs. Consume mostly "quality carbs" whole grains but also enable yourself to have some simple sugars as well. If you completely deprive yourself of some sweets, you are much less likely to follow a diet. Make it a reward. Go 2-3 days eating healthy and then have some pie or cheesecake on that 4th day and have a legitimate full serving of it, don't eat the weight watchers version. What you will discover is you won't crave those things as much and will naturally eat less of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss