Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times

Advertisements

And you can freeze that spinach and use it for pasta dishes, soup or green smoothies if its starting to wilt so its a good choice to switch to spinach if you can't eat your romaine fast enough. Try different types of lettuce next time. Some last longer than others. Some fridges keep certain types better than others. And when you pick your head turn it over and look at the butt of it. Pick the one with the whitest butt. But skipped the precut and prebagged. You want the ones they pull right out of the box that are laying out fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
And when you pick your head turn it over and look at the butt of it. Pick the one with the whitest butt.
Hee hee!!

I dont eat romaine or iceberg. Not a whole lot of nutrients going on with either of those. I eat spinich almost exclusively with the exception of the occasional bok choy, collard greens and mustard greens.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I get the bags of baby spinich. That is my salad. Sometimes it organic, other times its just regular and still only about $2.00 - $3.00 and its lasts a week if I only eat it with my regular meals.

My "salad" is almost always raw baby leaf spinich with just a sprinkle of lemon pepper. Sometimes, I'll get fancy and throw in some walnuts or craisins, but for the most part, its pretty simple, basic and delish. Its a LOT cheaper than going through Taco Bell or McDs drive through where one meal could cost $7.00 - $9.00. Healthier and cheaper!!!
What is a craisin?

Your post was totally spot on. I also use mustards and collards for my "lettuce" when making salads. Do you ever add meats?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What is a craisin?

Your post was totally spot on. I also use mustards and collards for my "lettuce" when making salads. Do you ever add meats?
A craisin is a dried cranberry. Like a cranberry raisin .

I dont usually add any meats to the greens. I just eat them dry and raw. At the most, I'll add lemon pepper, cayanne pepper or parmesean cheese sprinkles.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Default How far do you have to go to be defined as eating healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
You said eating healthy was not more expensive than eating unhealthy, not that eating healthy was not more expensive than fast food. I don't know anyone who would argue with that.

The issue is that it IS cheaper to buy and make spaghetti or grilled cheese or even one of my families favorite meals that we call cheeseburger in a bowl (Velveeta shells and cheese with 85% lean ground beef, although we do rinse the fat and grease off of the ground beef for a few minutes with scalding hot water) than it is to buy and make healthier food options.

The most expensive meal we ever have is a $6 frozen skillet meal that feeds two. So, our most expensive thing we eat costs $3 per person. Can you buy and make a healthy meal for cheaper than that?
When did spaghetti become unhealthy? We use ground turkey or very lean ground beef, wife makes sauce adds basil leaves and slices of carrots in addition to the spices. I liked the whole wheat pasta but the kids prefer regular. I do not consider that unhealthy!? We also grill hamburgers, but usually 85% or 90% lean. When wife was out of town I did Costco stir fry veggies with chicken breast pieces cooked in a little olive oil and served it over rice. I consider that "healthy" & I didn't find that very expensive-but maybe it is? What we don't eat is a lot of fried food or high fat content food and the pre-packaged meals from a bag or box are very infrequent- and we typically don't like the taste, except the frozen pizza every 30-45 days. We do fast food/restaurants/deep dish pizza only 1-2 times a month.
When my wife is out she often will use a crock pot. She has a notebook of recipes and plans meals out for about 14-20 days and then shops to make sure the ingredients are on hand. She subscribed to Eating Well for a while and liked the recipes because they tasted good and the prep and cooking times were usually accurate.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM

270 posts, read 488,368 times
Thanks for the advice you guys!!! Will definitely try these tricks next time I get groceries

Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Hee hee!!

I dont eat romaine or iceberg. Not a whole lot of nutrients going on with either of those. I eat spinich almost exclusively with the exception of the occasional bok choy, collard greens and mustard greens.
I sacrifice the additional nutrients for more crunch. I do feel guilty about that.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
When did spaghetti become unhealthy? We use ground turkey or very lean ground beef, wife makes sauce adds basil leaves and slices of carrots in addition to the spices. I liked the whole wheat pasta but the kids prefer regular. I do not consider that unhealthy!? We also grill hamburgers, but usually 85% or 90% lean. When wife was out of town I did Costco stir fry veggies with chicken breast pieces cooked in a little olive oil and served it over rice. I consider that "healthy" & I didn't find that very expensive-but maybe it is? What we don't eat is a lot of fried food or high fat content food and the pre-packaged meals from a bag or box are very infrequent- and we typically don't like the taste, except the frozen pizza every 30-45 days. We do fast food/restaurants/deep dish pizza only 1-2 times a month.
When my wife is out she often will use a crock pot. She has a notebook of recipes and plans meals out for about 14-20 days and then shops to make sure the ingredients are on hand. She subscribed to Eating Well for a while and liked the recipes because they tasted good and the prep and cooking times were usually accurate.
What's considered "healthy" can be relative. Nobody will tell you that a diet of Twinkies and pizza is healthy, but spaghetti can be equally as bad for a diabetic or woman with PCOS. However, I don't think the poster you quoted was saying that spaghetti was bad; just the opposite. Your diet sounds like it works well for you, and that you mostly use real food as opposed to boxed premade stuff. This is good.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,487,009 times
Salad is always so healthy. As someone mentioned, they add other things to the spinich salad. I learned a little bit of cole slaw added gives it that crunch (something they do in Mexico...add coleslaw to foods) I eat more salad because sometimes the spinich alone doesnt seem appetizing to me.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
The darker the leaves are of salad, the more nutrients it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss