Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,841,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
^

Heh, Ill gladly say "I can't eat that" to keep my diabetes in check. But you and anonchick can go ahead and keep ASSuming that "moderation" is the key for everyone.

ETA:

And there's noting wrong with eliminating foods that you know you cannot eat in moderation. I admit that I have weaknesses. We can't all be as perfect as you or anonchick.
Diabetes is another topic. We can certainly have another thread on that. This thread is NOT about diabetes and the limitations it places on one's diet.
We ALL have weaknesses. All of us. We all decide what is more important to us and act accordingly. No one is being held hostage to eat certain foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 AM

467 posts, read 666,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
"My" diet (I don't have a diet but my hypothetical one) isn't simply calories in/out. It's enjoying nutrition-dense, filling foods in modest quantities.

Like steak? Great! Have one. A small one. Without all that salty A-1 on top. A well-prepared steak doesn't need sauce to taste delicious, and is high in protein and moderate in calories.

Want a salad? Go for it. Go nuts. In fact, add some nuts, or seeds. But don't drown all that green perfection in creamy dressing. Just like how it clogs the bottle it comes out of, it'll clog your arteries too. So instead try for a vinaigrette, or lemon juice and olive oil, or make some tahini and use that if you need that creamy consistency but want it to be nutritious.

Love cheesecake? Me too! That's why once every couple of months I'll walk to the supermarket and pick up one of their little mini-cakes in the bakery shop. It's around 6 bites total, for $1.50. A palmful of perfection and exactly the right thing after a half-mile walk to the market.

"My" diet includes starches, fats, sugar, grain, meat, veggies, fruit, beans, nuts, legumes, berries, everything under the sun. Nothing is taboo. But if I'm jonesing for soda, I just steal a sip from my husband's glass of Pepsi. I don't drink a whole bottle, nor do I ever feel the need for one, and I don't feel deprived of it when my hubby is drinking it in front of me. It just means I get the spring water and he doesn't. I might even enjoy a glass of sangria in the evening too.

See - no restrictions. Just moderation, and exercise. Astoundingly enough, and contrary to the video, and Ray Peat's theory of how to beat fat, and whoever else is on the internet this week selling the latest batch of snake-oil in a pill - it's working for me. Just like it's worked for millions of other people who noticed a gain and want to return to health.

The reason it works is the simple calories in/calories out.

I am eating everything I like, but I'm eating LESS of it. That's the "calories in" part. Less calories going in.
I'm exercising more than I was before. That's the "calories out" part. More calories being used, instead of being stored as fat.

And that - returns us to the OP's title to this thread: Eat less, move more.
Not gonna eat it all in moderation, don't want to. I've tried that and it doesn't work. It actually doesn't work for a lot of people and that is what keeps the weight loss industry in business.

Just read this last night, even having as little as .5% of your diet from polyunsaturated fatty acids places you at risk for cancer:

Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) may be dangerous to your health
One study showed that just 0.5 percent of the diet in PUFAs is enough to trigger cancer. The best choices include fats from ruminant animals (i.e. cows, sheeps and goats), coconut oil, cocoa butter and palm kernel oil.

Exercise is fine, I'm not saying don't exercise. People have to stop saying though that exercise is necessary for weight loss. Ray Peat I read is sedentary, has never exercised much in his life. He's very lean.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,840,081 times
Quote:
^

Heh, Ill gladly say "I can't eat that" to keep my diabetes in check. But you and anonchick can go ahead and keep ASSuming that "moderation" is the key for everyone.

ETA:

And there's noting wrong with eliminating foods that you know you cannot eat in moderation. I admit that I have weaknesses. We can't all be as perfect as you or anonchick.
The diabetes forum is up a couple of sections. This is the diet and weight loss area.

Obviously if you have allergies, intolerances, sensitivities, disorders, diseases, or have to be fed through a tube instead of a plate, you can't adhere to "everything in moderation" as an attempt to lose weight. But that's irrelevent, because this forum isn't about how to eat and survive your meal without going into diabetic shock because you have diabetes.

It's for the person who is -not- experiencing specific medical needs that require specific dietary exclusions and inclusions. You don't have to be perfect. You just have to have a condition that actually applies to the topic. And that condition is "no specific dietary needs, other than the need to lose weight and maintain health."

Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,461,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Diabetes is another topic. We can certainly have another thread on that. This thread is NOT about diabetes and the limitations it places on one's diet.
We ALL have weaknesses. All of us. We all decide what is more important to us and act accordingly. No one is being held hostage to eat certain foods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The diabetes forum is up a couple of sections. This is the diet and weight loss area.

Obviously if you have allergies, intolerances, sensitivities, disorders, diseases, or have to be fed through a tube instead of a plate, you can't adhere to "everything in moderation" as an attempt to lose weight. But that's irrelevent, because this forum isn't about how to eat and survive your meal without going into diabetic shock because you have diabetes.

It's for the person who is -not- experiencing specific medical needs that require specific dietary exclusions and inclusions. You don't have to be perfect. You just have to have a condition that actually applies to the topic. And that condition is "no specific dietary needs, other than the need to lose weight and maintain health."
My diabetes doesn't invalidate my second point that in order to lose weight, many people do need to eliminate trigger foods that cause them to overeat. My brother loves oatmeal cream pies so much that he can eat a whole box in one day. Instead of trying to eat them in moderation he has to cut them out all together. He doesn't have diabetes, celiac any other medical condition.

But I guess he should just overcome his cravings huh? How silly of him to eliminate that from his diet when all he has to do is practice some self control.

And if you have a problem with me mentioning diabetes in this forum then just report my post to the mods. It's not your place to tell me where I should or should not post.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Quote:
My diabetes doesn't invalidate my second point that in order to lose weight, many people do need to eliminate trigger foods that cause them to overeat. My brother loves oatmeal cream pies so much that he can eat a whole box in one day. Instead of trying to eat them in moderation he has to cut them out all together.
I hear that! I can't keep cookies, candy, cake--any kind of sweet or dessert, really--or snack crackers like Triscuits in the house. I freely acknowledge that I have no willpower when it comes to that stuff, and there's no point in sabotaging my own efforts to stay healthy by throwing temptation onto my own path. It makes no sense.

Fortunately, I also lack willpower for a few good things, like fresh green beans, carrots, and most fruits, particularly berries.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM

I had gained weight 8 years ago. At the time I had 4 small kids. I had to buy and cook for them. I used to say I cannot lose the weight because I have too many temptations around and its just too hard for me. Then I decided what was more important to me. My temptations or my former figure and health. I chose the latter. Sure it was hard at first limiting myself and making healthier choices. But I did it. I realized excuses where only going to make me fatter. Hard work, sacrifice and staying the course allowed me to lose the weight I had gained.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,952 times
Maybe some could add some 3 in ONE Oil to their "diet".

Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 AM

467 posts, read 666,217 times
Sure to annoy:
180 Degree Metabolism

Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM

7,445 posts, read 7,038,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I think anyone would deny anything as long as they could use it as an excuse to cover up their laziness and lack of self control....it's always so much easier to blame someone else for your shortcomings than it is to accept responsibility for them.
According to the CDC:

Ohttp://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htmbesity and Overweight

(Data are for the U.S.)
  • Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 33.9% (2007-2008)
  • Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 34.4% (2007-2008)
When you combine these stats, 68.3% of the US population is overweight, more than one third is obese.

Are you suggesting that 68.3% of the US population is simply too lazy and lacks self control?

We've been told for decades to eat less and move more. We've also been told that fat in the food we eat is the primary culprit for obesity and also for diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. Meanwhile, the country gets fatter. And it's not just us, most western, industrialized socieites are following in our footsteps.

When the decades old advice doesn't work, it's time to consider alternatives.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
According to the CDC:

Ohttp://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htmbesity and Overweight

(Data are for the U.S.)
  • Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 33.9% (2007-2008)
  • Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 34.4% (2007-2008)
When you combine these stats, 68.3% of the US population is overweight, more than one third is obese.

Are you suggesting that 68.3% of the US population is simply too lazy and lacks self control?

We've been told for decades to eat less and move more. We've also been told that fat in the food we eat is the primary culprit for obesity and also for diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. Meanwhile, the country gets fatter. And it's not just us, most western, industrialized socieites are following in our footsteps.

When the decades old advice doesn't work, it's time to consider alternatives.
Its very hard advice to follow. With sedentary lifestyles, cheap crappy food available in abundance, soda consumption through the roof, a culture of obesity through families who eat terribly and then pass that eating style down to their children. People work more and have less time to shop and cook healthy meals. There are a plethora of reasons why people are obese but the bottom line reason is that they make terrible food choices, they eat more than they burn and they live sedentary lifestyles.
Why does Colorado have the least amount of obese people and Mississippi have the most? Economics and differing views on what constitutes quality of life. Coloradans are very active. That is the culture of that state. They are making food and exercise choices to enable them to be active and healthy. Mississippi not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss