Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A lot of the reason the "due to genetics" malarchy is malarchy, is because adults are capable of knowing that there's a genetic predisposition, and are capable of adapting to their dietary needs, vs. their dietary desires.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will continue to eat more than I know I should, knowing full well that I'm very likely to become obese as a result, because I know it runs in the family."

vs.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will be more cognizant of my eating habits and watch for trouble-spots in my diet. I will be more aware, and more responsible, in consuming things I like, because I know full well that I'm very likely to become obese if I don't, because I know it runs in the family."

It's called taking responsibility for yourself and your choices. If you KNOW it runs in the family, then you KNOW you need to be more careful than the average Joe whose siblings, parents, aunts and uncles are all obese. If you choose to ignore the fact that only your Uncle Jim is slim, and your mom's sister's entire family is suffering from diabetes and your mom is obese can has constant knee problems - then you are choosing not to take responsibility for your own choices.

Not
Rocket
Science
RIGHT ON.

I am not genetically predisposed to slimness. I am tall and muscular, and took after my German ancestors, with broad shoulders, broad cheekbones, strong hands, and overall strength. I have always been taller than average and when I am at my ideal weight and look my very best, I am at the very top of my "ideal healthy weight" on the charts. When I was a child, I had a very healthy diet (my parents were 70s "hippies" and "back to the earth" types so we ate organically, grew our own vegetables, even ground our own wheat!) and I played outside for hours every day. I was never overweight, but also never slim. I've never been slim a day in my life, but I am the picture of health - not only do I feel great but I get a physical every year and all my tests come back BURSTING with healthy numbers.

My mother is a different body type than me. She is even taller than me, but very slim and smaller boned. She's the Audrey Hepburn body type. She eats like a horse, even today at age 74, and never seems to gain a pound. Even when she had a stroke a few years ago and was more confined over the next year due to a long recovery, she didn't gain weight.

I have had to watch my caloric intake closely for many years. When I had a serious health blow myself, and a long recovery, I gained weight quickly as soon as activity level dropped. If I ate what my mother eats every day, I'd be as big as a barn. I have to limit my caloric intake to about 1800 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight, and to 1200-1400 calories a day to lose weight.

Though my mom is thin, I inherited the stocky build of my father's side of the family - not my mother's tall, willowy side. It's just a reality. Reality is what I deal with.

I KNOW what I have to do to maintain a healthy, attractive weight, so I just do it. This means that I make sacrifices. This means that when my mother is having cake for breakfast, I'm having yogurt. When she's happily eating three or four pieces of pizza, I'm eating one with a side salad - with oil and vinegar dressing, not bleu cheese! This means when my mother is reaching for a Coke, I'm drinking unsweetened iced tea.

It is what it is. Life's too short to be bitter - or to be overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Oh, and one more thing - it is not necessary to be THIN to be at your ideal weight and to be very healthy. THIN has never been my goal - and that's good, because I am not genetically predisposed to thinness.

One does not have to be THIN in order to be healthy and attractive. I'll be glad when our society recognizes that.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,559,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, and one more thing - it is not necessary to be THIN to be at your ideal weight and to be very healthy. THIN has never been my goal - and that's good, because I am not genetically predisposed to thinness.

One does not have to be THIN in order to be healthy and attractive. I'll be glad when our society recognizes that.
True. Thin is totally to do with vanity, not health. I'm 60 and a good weight for me is 10 pounds more than when I was 40. It feels great not to be fat or unfit!!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM

525 posts, read 765,081 times
GENETICS IS OVERWHELMINGLY the REASON.

THE WORK OF DR JEFFREY FRIEDMAN,DR. DOUGLAS COLEMAN AND DR. LEIBEL HAVE SHOWN THIS.

THE HERITABILITY OF OBESITY IS GREATER THAN ANY OTHER MEDICAL CONDITION STUDIED except height- but only a SMIDGEN UNDER height and possibly EQUAL to heightt. IT IS SCIENCE, NOT nonsense.

I PROVIDED THE MONOZYGOTIC TWIN STUDY. LIFESTYLE AND ENVIRONMENT DID NOT MATTER.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE VERY LOW INTELLIGENCE. YOU DESPERATELY CLING TO UNFOUNDED BELIEFS.

OBESITY IS NOT A CHOICE. SCIENCE SHOWS THIS.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
True. Thin is totally to do with vanity, not health. I'm 60 and a good weight for me is 10 pounds more than when I was 40. It feels great not to be fat or unfit!!
Right on.

Being naturally muscular, and with large bone structure, I have always weighed at the very top of my "ideal weight" range, even when I was in elementary school with not one extra ounce of body fat on me! My gosh, when I was fifteen, my measurements were 36-24-36 and I weighed 140 pounds! Oh, and I was 5'7". I grew another inch after that!

I now weigh about twenty pounds more than I did in high school, so I am trying to lose another 10-15 pounds but I don't know how realistic that is. If I don't lose it, I am not going to fret too much. I think I will be able to lose ten pounds - but fifteen may be pushing it. I do not think it's realistic to try to weigh what I weighed in high school - as a long distance runner and cheerleader! My gosh.

What I do know is that though I am not thin, apparently people find me attractive and I FEEL attractive. I also feel really good. So - I'm not stressing about it.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Because you specified height but not weight.

I explained that weight differences would skew the effects of exercise.

Your "random" 30 men were not identical to start with. Why should standardizing their diet and exercise make them all become the same weight?

It is possible to calculate the number of calories an individual needs to maintain his weight.

Let's take two men. One, John, weighs 150 lb, the other, Joe, weighs 300 pounds, both are 35 years old and each is 5 ft 10 in tall. For the calculation, we will say their daily walks put them in a moderate activity category.

Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com

John will need about 2500 calories per day to maintain his weight.

Joe will need about 3600 calories to maintain his weight.

If you feed them both 2500 calories per day, John will maintain his weight, and Joe will lose, at a rate of about a pound every three days. As Joe loses weight, he needs fewer calories to maintain his new weight, so his rate of loss will slow down if he continues to eat 2500 calories per day.

This will happen no matter what their genetics are.

It will happen no matter what the physiologic pressures are to maintain the given weight. As long as Joe maintains that negative energy balance, he will lose weight.

The researchers that Rick is quoting are studying the processes that promote a stable weight. Those are important to understand and help us see why losing weight is hard. But those processes cannot prevent a reduced calorie diet and exercise program from causing weight loss if that plan is adhered to.

DEAD WRONG. Weight is NOT a math equation. THE BODY FIGHTS ATTEMPTS AND COUNTERS THEM. GENETICS DOMINATES. MANY POEPLE WILL REMAIN VERY FAT.

BARIATRIC SURGERY LEAVES PEOPLE STILL OBESE TO VARIOUS DEGREES. EVEN AFTER OBNLY 800 CALORIES.

THAT ALONE SHOULD SHOW YOU HOW COPMPLEX OBESITY IS.

YOU HAVE NO CLUE.

CALORIES PER HOUR IS NOT A VALID SCIENTIFIC SITE. DR. FRIEDMAN'S LINKS ARE - VERY MUCH SO

NOBODY CAN CONSCIOUSLY COUNT THE MILLIONS OF CLAORIES OVER A YEAR LET ALONE 10 YEARS , YET MOST POEPLE REMAIN WEIGHT STABLE STUDIES FROM SOUTH ARFICA SWEDEN AND ELSEWHERE DEMONSTRATE THIS

THGE BODY COUNTS CALORIES FOR US AND FARRRR MORE ACCURATELY THAN WE COULD.

ADD TOT HE CAT CALORIE LABELS ARWE OFF BY AS MUCH AS 10 TO 80 % YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT.

YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE LAZY AND HAVE NOT WATCHED THE DR FRIEDMAN LECTUE AT ALL

I KNOW YOU HAVE NOT OR ELSE YOU WOULD KNOW THIS

THE COMMERCIAL WEIGHT LOSS INDUSTRY IS FRAUD AND NOT SCIENCE AT ALL.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And no one here is saying that genetics has "nothing" to do with it.

People are saying that genetics isn't -exclusively- responsible for it.

There is no SINGULAR reason why people are obese. Obesity is a complex problem, with complex causes, and complex triggers. Genetics is *A* factor. As in, one, of more than one.

Genetics, combined with dietary habits, combined with activity level, combined with overall health, combined with present weight, all factor into whether or not someone is likely to gain weight, or lose it, or maintain it.

A person who is genetically predisposed to being slender, who eats more than her metabolism is able to burn off, and is sedentary, is still likely to become obese.

A person who is genetically predisposed to being obese, who eats less than her metabolism burns off, and is active, is still likely to -not- become obese.

Some day Charles, you will understand basic anatomy/physiology. It'll be a real eye opener for you.

DEAD WRONG. Diet and exercise do NOT solve an obese person's problem NOR DOES IT PREVENT IT.

YOU ARE WRONG BAOUT THIN PEOPLE TOO. IN FACT, IT IS EVEN HARDER TO FATTENA NATURALLY THN PERSON THAN TO REDUCE WEIGHT OF A HEAVY PERSON.

YOUR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE IS GLARING . I TALK WITH THESE RESEARCHERS BY EMAIL - YOU DO NOT.

EXERCISE DOES NEXT TO NOTHING FOR WEIGHT. THERE ARE MILLIONS OF ACTIVE OBESE PEOPLE.

NORMAL PEOPLE CANNOT BE 500 POUNDS. THE BODY PUTS THE SQUASH ON IT. IN OBESE POEPLE SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 AM

14,576 posts, read 23,136,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
DEAD WRONG. Weight is NOT a math equation.
Sure it is, in most cases. If X > Y where X is calorie expenditure and Y is BMR, than weight loss will result.

Quote:
THE BODY FIGHTS ATTEMPTS AND COUNTERS THEM. GENETICS DOMINATES. MANY POEPLE WILL REMAIN VERY FAT.
There are some ways the body can fight weight loss, but they are pretty easily defeated.

Quote:
CALORIES PER HOUR IS NOT A VALID SITE.
Because it disagrees with you?

Oh by the way, still waiting for you to come back here and defend Lustig after he got embarrassed.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
EaT LeSs, mOvE mOrE, dOeS wOrK!!!

SCIENCE says it does not. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR IT AND TONS OF CONTRADICTORY EVIDENCE AGAINST IT.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
because here's the ugly truth; most (but not all) overweight people are undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition. As humans, we are creatures of habit. Until you replace your bad habits (mindless eating of "crap" combined with a sedentary lifestyle, ) with good habits (semi-healthy meals combined with a semi-active lifestyle) the numbers on the scale will remain the same. It really is that simple.

completely wrong. Body weight is involuntarily regulated. Obese poeple have raised set points educate yourself. It is anything but simple. In fact, it is hellishly complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss