Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM

525 posts, read 761,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
i still want to know who susan is.

susan is the woman who refuses to watch the link i sent you to dr. Leibel's clear explanation of body weight's complexity AND HOW YOUR BODY HAS ITS OWN IDEA OF HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH AND YOUR FAT MASS LEVEL AND IS FIRMLY IN CONTROL;.

THERE ARE MANY HEAVY POEPLE WHO DO EVERYTHNG "RIGHT" AND REMAIN FAT. YOU CANNOT ACCEPT THIS EVIDENCE.

WEIGHT REGAIN IS BIOLOGY NOT WILLPOWER.

dr leibel has conducted som eof the very best research on this issue the planet has ever seen . And he ran it back and forth many many many times with dr rosenbaum.

dr friedman and dr. Leibel are on the same page.

that our "control" is extremely limited makes you uncomfortable. That biology is who is in control makes you uncomfortable.

you're a very poor researcher.

EMAIL THOSE SCENTISTS . START WITH DR GUYENET.

THEY WILL FLAT OUT TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE WRONG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
susan is the woman who refuses to watch the link i sent you to dr. Leibel's clear explanation of body weight's complexity AND HOW YOUR BODY HAS ITS OWN IDEA OF HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH AND YOUR FAT MASS LEVEL AND IS FIRMLY IN CONTROL;.

THERE ARE MANY HEAVY POEPLE WHO DO EVERYTHNG "RIGHT" AND REMAIN FAT. YOU CANNOT ACCEPT THIS EVIDENCE.

WEIGHT REGAIN IS BIOLOGY NOT WILLPOWER.

dr leibel has conducted som eof the very best research on this issue the planet has ever seen . And he ran it back and forth many many many times with dr rosenbaum.

dr friedman and dr. Leibel are on the same page.

that our "control" is extremely limited makes you uncomfortable. That biology is who is in control makes you uncomfortable.

you're a very poor researcher.

EMAIL THOSE SCENTISTS . START WITH DR GUYENET.

THEY WILL FLAT OUT TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE WRONG.
So Susan is not someone posting on this forum?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
If the body narrowly defends a weight within in a range of a few pounds, the corollary to not being able to lose weight should be that we would not gain it, either. If over half the country is overweight, are we all programmed to be overweight? If so, why were we not as obese just a few years ago?
In my view, the current obesity/type II diabetes epidemic correlates with western society's increase in consumption of refined carbs and in particular sugar.

I think a heckuva a lot of us are programmed to be overweight if we eat sugar and refined carbs.

The move more and eat less advice fails too many people (note, I didn't say everyone) because people who simply cut calories stay hungry and they won't continue to follow a diet in which they are hungry.

That's why I'm such a believer in restricting carbs. You alleviate blood suger swings and the appetite swings that go with it. When your appetitie is under control, you do eat less. So perhaps I do believe in the eat less part of the equation, but for many people, simply cutting calories (without regard to what types of calories) is a proven loser, at least on a macro scale. Hence the 60% of our population overweight with 35% obese.

Exercise is important for optimal health but it is not the key to weight loss. It can be a help but only if the diet is corrected. The key is the diet and for many people the key is to restrict carbs. And again, Atkins is not zero carbs, so you are not eliminating an entire macro nutrient group.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
In my view, the current obesity/type II diabetes epidemic correlates with western society's increase in consumption of refined carbs and in particular sugar.

I think a heckuva a lot of us are programmed to be overweight if we eat sugar and refined carbs.

The move more and eat less advice fails too many people (note, I didn't say everyone) because people who simply cut calories stay hungry and they won't continue to follow a diet in which they are hungry.

That's why I'm such a believer in restricting carbs. You alleviate blood suger swings and the appetite swings that go with it. When your appetitie is under control, you do eat less. So perhaps I do believe in the eat less part of the equation, but for many people, simply cutting calories (without regard to what types of calories) is a proven loser, at least on a macro scale. Hence the 60% of our population overweight with 35% obese.

Exercise is important for optimal health but it is not the key to weight loss. It can be a help but only if the diet is corrected. The key is the diet and for many people the key is to restrict carbs. And again, Atkins is not zero carbs, so you are not eliminating an entire macro nutrient group.
But people eventually quit Atkins, too. Some folks really feel yucky when they are ketotic, and once you break the ketosis, your appetite comes back.

Remember, a calorie is just a measure of the energy content of food. Once a food is broken down and its components enter the Krebs cycle, the source of the components no longer matters.

The best eating plan is one that you can stick with in the long run.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
obesity has little to do with choice or willpower.

Stop confusing this issue.

Plenty of obese people live fabulously but remain obese. Some of the hardest working, and also most dedicated to exercise i know are overweight at least and some are obese.

Diet and exercise do not do much,.

Weight is involuntarily regulated. The science behind involuntary regulation 9 just like other systems in your body - blood pressure etc.0 is overwhelming.

Read the literature. Drop your beliefs.

The involuntary regulation of body weight is well known to all serious obesity scientists.
Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

I am "naturally" an overweight person. My bone structure and body build is large. My appetite is large. I have weighed as much as 225 pounds (size 20) as an adult woman.

I made up my mind about 8 years ago that I would NOT be a fat woman. I lost fifty pounds - mostly through diet but also through adding an additional 30 minutes of exercise to my daily routine.

I kept 40 of that 50 pounds off for 6 years - then had an injury which took a year to recover from and gained 15 pounds. I have since lost 17 pounds after getting right back on a healthy diet - let me rephrase that - LIFESTYLE.

I have never been slim and will probably never be slim. My body is not built to be slim and my metabolism is not particularly fast (for instance, my 74 year old mother eats more than I do each day and has never "fought her weight"). But I don't have to be SLIM to be within my healthy weight range - I just have to fight obesity. Which I have done successfully for over 8 years. I am now only about 10 pounds over my "ideal" weight and I hate to brag but I look and feel really good.

I know that, with my body build and metabolism - if I can do it, anyone can.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
If your mother eats the way you describe, does that mean she would not lose weight if she ate less, though? That's the whole point of the thread.
I am sure that if my mother ate less, she would lose weight - and be too thin. She has been at an ideal weight her entire life.

She eats a lot - but she is also very active. For instance, she takes at least one very 45 minute vigorous walk (up and down hills) every day - sometimes two.

She eats a lot of sweets, but she also eats a lot of healthy foods.

She tried to lose weight one time for a class reunion (why, I don't know - she already looked great). She cut down on sweets, and lost 8 pounds in a month. So yes - she can lose weight when she cuts back.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
So Susan is not someone posting on this forum?

He's calling you Susan..I guess he's using his grown up voice when he says it in his head.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
Psychologically staying motivated can be a challenge.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
He's calling you Susan..I guess he's using his grown up voice when he says it in his head.
I know.

But my name isn't Susan!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Psychologically staying motivated can be a challenge.

In response to your post, a lot of posters are thinking and may respond with:
"Just make wise eating decisions and you don't need to stay motivated"
"It's all about choices - no motivation necessary - just flip the switch."
"You're not hungry, you only think you're hungry."
"We're all born to be thin. Some of us are smart enough to remain that way."
"You just want to be fat."
"We all have exactly the same desire to eat - some of us are strong and smart and others like you aren't."
"I'm stronger than you. You're weak."
"You're not hungry, you just have no will power or self control - true character flaws."
"What works for me should work for you - otherwise it's your excuse making fault."
"I'm not hungry so you shouldn't be hungry."
"Fatties gonna fat."
"I'm thin so you should be thin."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss