Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I agree and I believe I stated that in one of my previous posts, but that is not the end of the story because it fails to take into account how your body reacts to calories of different macro nutrients (carbs, protein and fats). The problem I have with saying a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is that, while technically true by definition, it doesn't take into account how our bodies react to a calorie of different types of foods.

Blood sugar remains more stable on a low carb diet, which controls appetitie better, even if you are not in ketosis.

Low carb dieters also tend to burn more calories while on a low carb diet than on a low fat diet, even at rest.

Low-carb diet burns the most calories in small study

Again, I'm all for what works for others, but this has worked for me and I believe it will work for many people needing to lose weight, especally those that tried and failed ( or failed to maintain) simply restricting calories.
There is a different reaction to different types of food, but it is to the food itself, not the number of calories in the food. Caloriies are just a away of describing the energy stored in the chemical bonds in the foods. Those are determined by physics and are measurable.

I'm not sure that I agree that appetite is directly proportional to blood sugar. There are too many other factors. To me appetite includes those things that keep us eating when we are not hungry. That does include psychological stimuli. Your mouth may water when you smell a steak cooking on the grill, even if you've just eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
you are what you eat. Losing weight has much more to do with ones diet and genetics than it does with exercise. There are fat guys on every football team in America at all levels. even a lineman burns more calories than your typical jogger or gym rat that works out 3 times a week. These guys are fat because the eat like horses and the have the genetics to be fat. If someone really wants to lose weight than it's all about the diet. Exercise will help get you there but it's more about the calories you take in than the ones you burn.

Some football players are fat because there is an advantage in the sport for certain positions just to be bigger and heavier.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,452,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Some football players are fat because there is an advantage in the sport for certain positions just to be bigger and heavier.
no way!
in the 10 years of organized football I played I never knew this but now I do. I always wondered why the coaches were trying to make us bigger. You truely are one of the great thinkers here on CD

Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
no way!
in the 10 years of organized football I played I never knew this but now I do. I always wondered why the coaches were trying to make us bigger. You truely are one of the great thinkers here on CD
I know a college coach (you'd recognize his name) who encouraged his players who did not go on to play professionally (and many did) to lose weight when they quit playing. The ones I know took his advice. You may believe they are genetically fat, if you wish.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-28/h...l?_s=PM:HEALTH

Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I know a college coach (you'd recognize his name) who encouraged his players who did not go on to play professionally (and many did) to lose weight when they quit playing. The ones I know took his advice. You may believe they are genetically fat, if you wish.

Beefy football linemen fight fat after leaving field - CNN
most pros are doing the same thing after retirement these days to help improve their health and extend their lives.

With huge guys like that usually It's a combination of genetics and diet. One of my best friends that played for Washington was 6-5 330lbs in his football days. He currently eats less than I do and works out just as much and still walks around at about 260lbs. If genetics have nothing to do with it than why is he still somewhat fat yet I look like one of those guys on a box of underwear with less work

you're intentions seem good but you really don't have any clue what you're talking about.........no offense

Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I refuse to read any of your posts, RICK! They hurt my eyes so I scroll past as fast as I can.
I'm adding myself to this group. Even reading it, it comes across as borderline hysterical with all those caps.

I DO think genetics can contribute to one's tendency towards obesity or lankiness. But having a tendency in one direction or another does not mean it cannot be controlled.

You can argue until the sun comes up.... But I know when I eat less and/or exercise, I lose weight. Don't really care if someone considers that bad science..... it's what works for me.

And still will, no matter how many capital letters you use.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
most pros are doing the same thing after retirement these days to help improve their health and extend their lives.

With huge guys like that usually It's a combination of genetics and diet. One of my best friends that played for Washington was 6-5 330lbs in his football days. He currently eats less than I do and works out just as much and still walks around at about 260lbs. If genetics have nothing to do with it than why is he still somewhat fat yet I look like one of those guys on a box of underwear with less work

you're intentions seem good but you really don't have any clue what you're talking about.........no offense

Define "somewhat fat." Whatever your friend eats now is maintaining his weight. If he eats less, will he not lose? If he eats more, will he not gain? What you eat compared to what he eats makes no difference.

I am not denying that there are differences from person to person in genetics and metabolism, but any of us, if he eats less than he burns up, will lose weight. Otherwise, as Marlow said, no one would ever starve to death.

Also, you have no way of knowing what your friends eat in private, and that may be very different from what they eat when they are with you. That is especially true if your friend happens to be female. Five to fifteen percent of women in the US have bulimia.

I am also not denying that the factors that Rick has described cause some people to have a lot of difficulty losing weight. However, if they do manage to resist their body's defense mechanisms against weight loss, they will lose weight.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM

417 posts, read 825,313 times
I remember when i was fat finishing high school i went on a dangerous diet to get in shape. It worked. What I did had me litearally fainting from exhaustion, experience extreme bouts of stomach pain, and various other effects I'm since learned are equated to starvation. After I was skinny I built up my muscle until I was ripped. Once I was ripped I went back to eating whatever the hell I wanted without giving a damn. I didn't gain a bloody thing. After 6 years of that kind of diet I did eventually gain weight...but it still took six years, and I'm still technically ripped. No other diet (even planning with nutrionist or wtv) has ever given me wight loss results. Either I starve myself to fainting while runing a dozen miles or I get nothing. I've stopped doing that long ago...and now i just maintain weight or steadily gain a pound or two every six months. dieting is so boring once you kick the healthy life to the curb.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Define "somewhat fat." Whatever your friend eats now is maintaining his weight. If he eats less, will he not lose? If he eats more, will he not gain? What you eat compared to what he eats makes no difference.

I am not denying that there are differences from person to person in genetics and metabolism, but any of us, if he eats less than he burns up, will lose weight. Otherwise, as Marlow said, no one would ever starve to death.

Also, you have no way of knowing what your friends eat in private, and that may be very different from what they eat when they are with you. That is especially true if your friend happens to be female. Five to fifteen percent of women in the US have bulimia.

I am also not denying that the factors that Rick has described cause some people to have a lot of difficulty losing weight. However, if they do manage to resist their body's defense mechanisms against weight loss, they will lose weight.
about like this. He looks strong as a bull but he's got a belly

http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/figh...ianenko-10.jpg

Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
I remember when i was fat finishing high school i went on a dangerous diet to get in shape. It worked. What I did had me litearally fainting from exhaustion, experience extreme bouts of stomach pain, and various other effects I'm since learned are equated to starvation. After I was skinny I built up my muscle until I was ripped. Once I was ripped I went back to eating whatever the hell I wanted without giving a damn. I didn't gain a bloody thing. After 6 years of that kind of diet I did eventually gain weight...but it still took six years, and I'm still technically ripped. No other diet (even planning with nutrionist or wtv) has ever given me wight loss results. Either I starve myself to fainting while runing a dozen miles or I get nothing. I've stopped doing that long ago...and now i just maintain weight or steadily gain a pound or two every six months. dieting is so boring once you kick the healthy life to the curb.
If you starve yourself, your body goes into starvation mode and then actually hangs on to weight, making it harder to lose. Of course you WILL lose weight if you starve yourself and work out like a fiend but it's not the best way to do it.

Most people get frustrated at a slow rate of weight loss so they give it up. I am losing 1/2 a pound to one pound a week by eating a diet of about 1400 calories a day, with just walking or yoga about five days a week. Most people would not curtail their daily eating or change their lifestyle significantly in order to lose only 1/2 a pound a week - but they don't stop to realize that that's about 26 - 50 pounds in one year. I've already lost about 19 pounds so far but of course it's been slow. But 19 pounds makes a HUGE difference in my quality of life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss