Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM

467 posts, read 664,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
How do you explain people who eat anything they want including lots of carbs and sugar and stay skinny?
I've lost weight without ever stopping carbs and sugar because I just can't see myself doing it; I have a bmi of 18 and eat whatever I want, just small portions and practically never go above 1200-1500 calories a day - not because I'm counting calories but because at this point I physically can't eat more, I feel sick if I overeat. It may not be the healthiest way, as I know it would be better to cut out some carbs and eat more protein (I also have digestive issues and I find meat and rough fiber like veggies difficult to handle, while refined carbs are much easier and soothing to digest), but for weight purposes it doesn't make a difference unless you have blood sugar issues.
They don't after 35 as a general rule. In any case, everyone needs to learn nutritional realities. Not what we want to be true, but what is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM

525 posts, read 761,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So why are hospitals having to buy bigger wheelchairs, bigger beds, and bigger operating tables?

One of our local hospitals has installed reinforced pedestals under wall mounted toilets.

The scales in my obstetrician's office in the 1970s maxed out at 250 pounds. Now they go to 350 in my gynecologist's office.

Obesity, and especially morbid obesity, has definitely increased:

Increases in morbid obesity in the USA: 2000

People are getting fatter at younger ages:

Getting Heavier, Younger: Trajectories of Obesity over the Life Course

So do not try to tell us there is no increase in obesity.

Even a trip to Walmart will tell you it's not true. Just look around.
I AM telling YOU what he DATA says from Dr. Jeffrey Friedman in his lecture. Since 1990 we ARE ONLY 7 POUNDS HEAVIER- AND THE DIFFERENCE IS ONLY SEEN AMONG THE HEAVIEST PEOPLE. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

THE MEDIA NUMBERS ARE SKEWED AND A FALSE REPRESENTATION.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Most people on here are not too bright.

THE DATA AGAINST THE CALORIC HYPOTHESIS OF OBESITY IS OVERWHELMING:

(FROM SCIENCEDAILY FROM REAL OBESITY RESEARCHERS)

Too much light at night at night may lead to obesity, study finds

That Late-night Snack: Worse Than You Think

When you eat matters, not just what you eat

Overweight? New research explains how proper sleep is important for healthy weight

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2012/11/fitzgerald/

As neurobiologist Dr. Fred Turek says "Obesity is CLEARLY NOT "calories in/calories out" It is far more complex. "

THE DATA PILES ON MORE AND MORE EVERY YEAR. GIVE YOUR BELIEFS UP, SusieQ. The Caloric Hypothesis is WRONG.

As RICHARD FEYNMAN WOULD SAY. The Caloric Hypothesis is in DISAGREEMENT WITH EXPERIMENT.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
I AM telling YOU what he DATA says from Dr. Jeffrey Friedman in his lecture. Since 1990 we ARE ONLY 7 POUNDS HEAVIER- AND THE DIFFERENCE IS ONLY SEEN AMONG THE HEAVIEST PEOPLE. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

THE MEDIA NUMBERS ARE SKEWED AND A FALSE REPRESENTATION.
So hospitals do not need the bigger wheelchairs, beds, and operating tables? Considering the expense, I am sure they will be happy to know that.

Gee, guy, I can look around me and see many more overweight, obese, and morbidly obese people on the street than I saw twenty years ago. The statistics support that.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM

"ENERGY IS NOT CONSERVED" by cosmologist Dr. Sean Carrol

Read up !!!!!!!!

Energy Is Not Conserved : Cosmic Variance

In science BOTH theories AND laws could be shown to be wrong at some time if there are data to suggest it.

Commercial diet gurus do NOT realize that in General Relativity energy is NOT conserved. This has been known since the 1920's.

In OUR EXPANDING UNIVERSE ( ridiculous speed of expansion) , energy is NOT conserved.

Nobody should bring up the first law of thermodynamics in an obesity discussion. ONLY the scamming commercial diet industry gurus do this to SOUND scientific and make you buy their product. NUMEROUS physicists told me this.

As we learn more about DARK ENERGY this will ILLUMINATE our understanding. The first law may ONLY be a SPECIAL CASE, APPLYING ONLY UNDER SPEFICIFIC CONDITIONS AND NOT OTHERS. WE'VE REASON TO SUSPECT THIS.

It is possible that it MAY be discarded eventually .

MUCH REMAINS TO BE LEARNED ABOUT ENERGY AND MATTER. WE CURRENTLY DO NOT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT 96% OF THE UNIVERSE IS MADE OF. ( Dark Energy and Dark Matter)

Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
So hospitals do not need the bigger wheelchairs, beds, and operating tables? Considering the expense, I am sure they will be happy to know that.

Gee, guy, I can look around me and see many more overweight, obese, and morbidly obese people on the street than I saw twenty years ago. The statistics support that.
YOu IGNORE DATA. YOU are a POOR scientists. HEIGHT HAS INCREASED A BIT TOO.

SCIENCE MOVES ON.

ENERGY IS NOT CONSERVED. Dr Sean Carrol - REAL PHYSICIST, not a diet guru READ IT.

Energy Is Not Conserved : Cosmic Variance

THIS COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS the conservation of energy. But we now know the UNiverse is EXPANDING

Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:

THE DATA - DETAILED DATA-SAYS OTHERWEISE. Dr. Katherine Fleagal, Dr Jeffrey Friedman

OBESITY IS NOT A PERSON'S FAULT. SCIENCE HAS SHOWN THIS. IT IS A DISREGULATION OF THE FAT MASS REGULATORY SYSTEM.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So what about people who lose weight and keep it off? I was an overweight kid. Now I am at a normal weight. I refuse to believe that overweight people have no responsibility in this.

There are many obese poeple with healthful behaviors and very active with a good diety. This has not at all solved their obesity. I see active obese people all the time. Didn't help.

I travel extensively. Exercise is a MYTH for weight loss. It does next to nothing in studies. But it is good for health.

Long term maintenance is extremely rare - 1 %. This population might have different NEURAL CIRCUITRY WIRING says Dr Jeffrey Friedman

Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM

AS WE CAN SEE FROM EXPERIMENTS MICE BECAME OBESE WITH NO CHANGE AT ALL IN DIET OR ACTIVITY. AND WITHOUT EATING MORE CALORIES.

THEY WERE NOT EATING MORE OR MOVING LESS than thin control mice - AT ALL.

I GAVE LINKS TO STUDY AFTER STUDY DEMONSTRATING THIS EFFECT.( #603)

YOU CHOSE TO IGNORE THIS?????? THAT IS YOUR problem.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP, Suzy Q

Let's ALL stop discriminating against obese people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Zv-W7Oh4o

Last edited by RickSantos; 12-18-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Rick has yet to show us where any of the scientists he quotes tell us that an individual who eats less and moves more will not lose weight. He ignores the many people who do lose weight and keep it off.

I gained a few pounds over the holidays. I've cut back on the intake, and you know what? I lost weight.

What Rick's studies have shown us is the reasons that some people have more difficulty losing weight and keeping it off. That is important for the people who treat obesity to know.

But Rick will have a very hard time convincing us in the U. S. that there are not significantly more obese people in this country than there were twenty years ago.

See the chart on page 40:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus07.pdf

Encouraging people who are overweight to lose the excess poundage is not discrimination. Telling them that losing weight is impossible and to not bother to even try is not helpful. There are folks whose lives depend on losing weight.

Exercise does promote weight loss. Most people are not able (or willing) to devote the time necessary to lose weight just with exercise. The best weight control program will combine both. Men and people who are heavier will see a greater reduction with exercise than women and people who are not as overweight. It has to do with the percentage of muscle in the body and the physics of the amount of energy needed to move a specific mass a specific speed and distance. If exercise had no effect on weight, Michael Phelps would be fat. Rick wants to suspend the laws of physics. Good luck with that!

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 12-18-2012 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss