Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:45 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,801,976 times

Advertisements

I'm going to disagree with you forest. Your body does need a protien along with carbs and fats. Thats if your on a weight program or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
For lunch I sometimes cut up a peach, put it on top of full fat cottage cheese and sprinkle with some unsweetened homemade granola (made with different kinds of nuts and seeds so not many carbs).

Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
I don't see why so many people see fruit as a bad thing. From what I understand, the fibers in whole fruit make it break down slowly and thus enter your bloodstream slowly; it's not like drinking a glass of juice or eating a candy bar and sending a surge of sugar into your bloodstream. For a diabetic maybe fruit wouldn't be a good thing, but otherwise I don't see the problem. My body seems to handle it fine.

I know vegetables are probably better for you, but I like fruit a whole lot better than I like vegetables, so I tend to grab a piece of fruit if I am hungry and may eat several pieces of fruit in a day. It has to be better than what I'd be eating if I were eating whatever I wanted - because instead of a piece of fruit and some almonds for breakfast, I'd rather have some cinnamon toast with lots of butter, or waffles with lots of butter and syrup, or fried eggs, bacon and toast with lots of butter and maybe some strawberry jelly! And some hashbrowns!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Some people are obsessed with protein. Athletes used to eat thick steaks before competition because they thought it would improve their performance. Protein supplements are sold at health food stores. This concern about protein is misplaced. It is all marketing. Sadly many people have bought into that marketing.

Protein is certainly an essential nutrient which plays many key roles in the way our bodies function, however we do not need huge quantities of it.

In reality, we need small amounts of protein. Only one calorie out of every ten we take in needs to come from protein. Athletes do not need much more protein than the general public.

Mega-dose protein supplements are expensive, unnecessary, and even harmful for some people.

The RDA recommends that we take in 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram that we weigh (or about 0.36 grams of protein per pound that we weigh).

You can safely eat fruits and veggies. So long as one meal each day includes grain or beam elements then you are likely getting plenty of protein to be a world class athlete.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Some people are obsessed with protein. Athletes used to eat thick steaks before competition because they thought it would improve their performance. Protein supplements are sold at health food stores. This concern about protein is misplaced. It is all marketing. Sadly many people have bought into that marketing.

Protein is certainly an essential nutrient which plays many key roles in the way our bodies function, however we do not need huge quantities of it.

In reality, we need small amounts of protein. Only one calorie out of every ten we take in needs to come from protein. Athletes do not need much more protein than the general public.

Mega-dose protein supplements are expensive, unnecessary, and even harmful for some people.

The RDA recommends that we take in 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram that we weigh (or about 0.36 grams of protein per pound that we weigh).

You can safely eat fruits and veggies. So long as one meal each day includes grain or beam elements then you are likely getting plenty of protein to be a world class athlete.
When I brought up protein with my son's pediatrician (I had read something promoting high protein diets), she said to be careful about giving him too much protein because it could damage his kidneys. She said he was likely getting plenty of protein already.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
When I brought up protein with my son's pediatrician (I had read something promoting high protein diets), she said to be careful about giving him too much protein because it could damage his kidneys. She said he was likely getting plenty of protein already.
If you serve a meat serving once or twice a week, then you are getting plenty of meat.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,801,976 times
Everything I have read about protien is that its needed daily. Just like carbs and fats.
Nutrition for Everyone: Basics: Protein | DNPAO | CDC
According to their recommendations, with my kids being between 4 and 9 they should be eating 19g per day, I should be eating 46 and my husband 56, which in reality is about 30-40% of your calorie intake. Since this is about fruit, some of your fruits have fiber in them and some are considered complex carbs which are good in moderation. They are needed for fuel. Guess everything I have read and studied about this subject is wrong.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Actually, you're undervaluing protein's role in our diet. Proper dosing is not on either end of an extreme spectrum. Oh, and calling protein supplementation "expensive" is patently false. When you get right down to it, a basic whey protein powder is rather cheap.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Ive done WW Points plus, which treats fruit as "Zero points" but they say "NOT unlimited"

If through the day you are getting a good mix of foods and nutrients, and you are not eating the fruit past the point of being sated, you are probably okay. Certainly once in a while. MAYBE every day.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 PM

192 posts, read 250,663 times
* Everything has protein (see protein myths) - big money-making scam
* Fruit is low on the glycemic index

There's an anti-fruit movement based on half-truths, cherry-picking-unscientific studies.... all to sell new diet books. The propaganda is all over TV: (diet commercials, CNN filler...)

....and people get fatter and sicker.

Meanwhile, there are thin, healthy people who eat fruit and avoid fast-food and junk.

Fruit is only bad IF your diet is high in fat AND carbs: fat blocks carbs and insulin from leaving the blood......and the pancreas keeps making insulin. THAT's the problem.
===================================

These experts are pro-fruit:

Dr. Benjamin Spock, M.D.
Dr. Dean Ornish
Dr. Doug Graham
Neal Barnard, M.D.
Michael Klaper, M.D.
John A. McDougall, M.D

* The other primates eat mostly fruit. We are Fruigivores. And the 80/10/10 diet shows the best way to do it.

The 80/10/10 diet community (we eat 15-30 fruits a day) just put on a 7 day festival. Here's a pic (worth a 1000 words)

Here's some pics of muscular 80/10/10rs (811'rs)
80 10 10 Gladiators!!! - 30 Bananas a Day!

Fruit for the WIN.

Protein, carbs, fat - explained

Where Do I Get Protein From on a Raw Foods Diet? - Dr. Doug Graham - YouTube

Last edited by Sacman; 09-10-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss