Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Quoting this, because it's really the only advice you should heed. Your advice should come from your doctor. You say "every chest pain" you feel....well getting chest pains enough to claim "every" one makes you feel some way, is not normal. It is a sign that there is something medically wrong with you, in addition to your weight.
You know, I have a bit of a problem with that because I haven't read one piece of bad advice on here. I do agree that he should see a doc but I don't think he needs to wait to see the doc before he starts a food journal. In fact, that would be most helpful to take to the doc so the doc can track eating patterns--if the doc is even trained in nutrition and most are not. He doesn't need a doc's advice to stop eating junk and sugary foods. Imagine this scenario: "Doc, do you think I should stop drinking soda?" "Umm, yeah!"

On the other hand, it would be a good idea to see the doc before starting a very calorie restricted diet or an exercise program and I really don't think a severely restricted diet would be in his best interests right now anyway. As I stated above I lost almost 40 lbs just from not eating sugar and I only had 60 to lose. Part of the reason for that is that I no longer felt as hungry and just naturally ate less. Sugar and junk foods do that--they throw your appetite out of whack and cause you to eat more. Very restricted diets cause you to perseverate about the foods you can't eat and when you have a lot of weight to lose you can get discouraged too easily, esp in the beginning. The doc may want him on one anyway but it couldn't hurt to knock off a few lbs before the appt by stopping the sodas or whatever his weakness is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 AM

522 posts, read 1,856,754 times
Myfitnesspal; great app that helps you count your calories to meet your caloric intake goal on a daily and weekly basis. You can also enter your workouts and it will recalculate how much additional calories you can consume based on your workout (I usually dont eat in the extra calories if I dnt feel hungry).

Another thing I love about this app is that you can have your friends link up with you on this app and you can track each others progress and hold each other accountable! You're more likely to lose more weight and stick with a program if someone is doing it with you or doing "quality control."

Stick with it, I got a family too and I know it's tough trying to juggle life but at least if you eat right and work out 3 times a week you're okay. Change some of your daily habits like parking further away from the entrance, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, just drink water, stuff like that.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

**Wanted to add that myfitnesspal can also be accessed online.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,375 times
Congratulations on taking the first steps in changing your lifestyle. You are already a step ahead of so many people. I love the website healthyanswers.com for general health content. It has tons of different articles to browse and has some great and practical advice for anything from skin health to weight loss.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM

29 posts, read 41,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensonfan View Post
I currently weigh 440lbs!

There, I said it! Whew!

I need to lose weight and have joined a new gym. I have 2 kids from previous relationships and recently got married. A few years ago we held a "Biggest Loser" competition at work and I lost 40lbs, but gained it all back and then some. Please help me with whatever advice you have to get me on the right path. I will make sure to check in with you guys as to my progress. My wife liked big guys, but I've gained even more weight which has made her unsure of having our own child together in fear of being left alone to raise them. She has cried repeatdly, and depression has sunk in for me.

Every chest pain scares the hell out of me! I keep thinking that a heart attack is just around the corner. I hope all comments will be helpful, but I know I'm leaving myself open to ridicule.

Thanks in advance!
First of all... I'm going to go out on a limb here and make an assumption. Carbs may not be your friend. Even the so called "good" carbs. Some of us have a genetic tendency to be fat (how's your parents?). If that's the case, your body will turn any carb you eat to stored fat. That being said, what worked for me was combining a low-carb lifestyle with a low-carb-friendly cookie diet. That way, I didn't have the calorie restrictions with the cookie diet and I didn't have the feelings of deprivation that normally goes along with a low carb lifestyle. I used r&D diet cookies (still do in order to maintain) and the one-two punch couldn't have worked better for me!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times
IMHO, you have to tailor a diet to what you like to eat, not what they tell you to eat. Obviously, its all about calorie control. The first step would be to measure exactly what you're eating, and figure out your calorie count. Its probably a lot more than you think. Be honest with yourself. I would recommend you slowly change your habits to what works for you. What you are trying to make is a PERMANENT change in your weight and eating habits. Don't be afraid of being creative. I read about a guy to had a diet of doritos, Oreos and something else. He didn't tell his family though. At meal time he just ate some vegetables. He still lost weight because its all about calories. Obviously that's not a good long term diet. However, you can tailor a diet with the foods you like, you just need to cut your portions, cut out some of your snacks, etc, and you certainly need to start some kind of light exercise, like walking.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,292,593 times
Thank you all for contributing to a very helpful thread & for being sincerely kind to the OP.
That is the way this forum should be.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Well, some may not agree with me but I think in addition to seeing a doctor, you should also see a counselor.

NO, I am not implying you are crazy, I'm saying seeking out a counselor might help you find out what it is that drives you to overeat that much. Typically with people who weigh a much higher amount have something that causes them to eat so much. Dead the pain, you feel lonely, you don't feel in control, your body image is out of whack, etc, etc. (Those are JUST examples, not a diagnosis.)

I also fully agree with others about keeping a food journal. Not only will you be able to track calories, (after you speak with your doctor to find out how many calories you should be eating to lose the weight in a HEALTHY way...you can't just crash diet at that weight), but it also puts it out there, in your face, just how much you are actually eating. Sometimes seeing it right in front of us is a real eye opener.

While you are waiting for your appointment with your doctor, go ahead and start that food journal. Start it right now. Write down every thing you eat. Everything. Every. Thing.

I'd suggest a nutritionist, as well.

And as Jasper said, make sure those at the gym are educated about what to do and not just "a trainer". They need to know what the heck they are doing when helping someone lose this much weight.

And most importantly, be kind to yourself, don't lie to yourself, be fair to yourself.

Also, don't look at the big picture in pounds. Don't think, "I have to lose 250 pounds" (or whatever), start with smaller goals. Each time you reach a goal, you reward yourself with something that does not have to do with food.

Some place you have wanted to go? Some thing you have wanted to see? Some gift you have wanted for some time? Reach your goals and reward yourself.

Let's say your first goal is 30 pounds. Ok, you lose your 30 pounds, you get to go see some show or take some tour or learn something that you've always wanted to learn, etc.

Then you shoot for your next goal.

And no matter what, if you gain back a few pounds here and there, do not throw in the towel. Do not give up. Sometimes that can happen. And don't rush it. It's going to be a long process, it has to go slowly and you have to be patient and just keep at it. You WILL get there if you let yourself get there.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM

1,738 posts, read 846,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Thank you all for contributing to a very helpful thread & for being sincerely kind to the OP.
That is the way this forum should be.
I agree. What a refreshing thing to see on here! A thread where everyone is trying to offer sincere good advice and build someone up rather than tear them down.

Best of luck to you, OP!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
I still think it is ill-advised to start on -any- diet, calorie-restricted or otherwise, without first consulting with your physician. Food journal is awesome and will help your doctor understand exactly what you are consuming, what is contributing to the weight problem and what things you are doing that should be encouraged, or discouraged.

But you're not -just- morbidly obese. You're morbidly obese AND are experiencing chest pains. That's a whole nother ball of wax, and other than a food journal and keeping track of -exactly- what you're eating, you shouldn't change anything about your current diet until consulting with your doctor. Reason: if you cut out starch, but continue eating anchovies, and the doctor says the pains are caused by a severe overconsumption of salt - then cutting out starch isn't going to make you any better at all. And continuing to eat the anchovies might lead to a stroke. If you reduce fats, but the doctor says that it's all those mashed potatos converting into sugar and causing insulin issues, then all the lean meats and low-fat veggies in the world aren't going to get rid of those pains - and continuing to eat starchy, but low-fat foods, could starch you right into the emergency room.

See the doctor before changing anything in your diet, or trying any exercise that you're not already doing. Food journal, absolutely a good idea. Do that between now and your doctor's appointment, so you can show it to him when you see him.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 AM

29 posts, read 41,677 times
I would love to see an update from Hensonfan to see if any of our heartfelt advice was useful to him. At that weight almost any diet will work at first, but I really hope he considered the low carb route for long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss