Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times

Advertisements

What I think most people "fail" at weight loss is that they make drastic diet and life changes, which are difficult to sustain over the long haul. And expect immediate gratification.

Weight loss is a journey, not a destination. I think looking at it in terms of increasing health is a better perspective. And focus less on the scale, and more on simple life style changes.

My SO is a dedicated sausage eater...usually with pasta or stuffed in a huge deli roll. Well, I have no pasta or deli rolls at my house. And I made chicken apple sausage the other day, and put it over salad. He ate it all up. Less carbs. Still same food.

Losing one pound a week is change. That is 52 pounds a year. Where people fail on diets, is expecting to lose three to five pounds a week, or more. And going on extreme diets that change the way they eat. By "extreme" I mean Atkins...and giving up when they can't sustain that.

I have made simple changes. That was last year. I bought a gym membership. Step one. I committed to exercise at least one time a week. Now, I am up to five days a week. But, I did not start there.

Losing one pound is a win. Even if it is in a month. That is still 12 pounds a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 AM

803 posts, read 1,880,390 times
Jasper12,

wow, "weight loss is a journey not a destination." those are amazing words right there and a fantastic point of view as it provides a different angle and perspective for anyone trying to lose weight. thank u /

many times as dieters all know, we want to be from fat to skinny overnite and we get discouraged that the results from our hard work dieting and exercising isnt showing fast enough but it really isnt about gettiung from here to there..

..its about learning about your body, understanding food and falling in love with yourself. thats a journey in itself and one to be very proud of. "it doesnt matter whats on the other side, its the climb." its how hard u worked and what u did and what you sacrificed to get there. if u look at weight loss as a journey rather than a destination your halfway there already!!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,558,250 times
The OP only posted once, so we'll probably never know what happened.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM

178 posts, read 355,684 times
it isnt a big deal you can lose weight at any milestone of age! all you need to do is to be very patient and persistent about your cause. Adopt a healthy lifestyle, cut back on sugar, avoid junk food, change your eating habits, apply 80-20 rule(eat uptill you are 80% full), keep moving, drink green tea and reduce the consumption of salt.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
I saw the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead the other night and one of the men was 440 lbs at the beginning and lost over 200 lbs from juicing. That's something that might help some people--netflix has it streaming right now.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM

20,940 posts, read 28,459,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Its not us you should be seeking help from. This is what you should be asking the professionals at your gym. At least there you KNOW they know what they are talking about and not some random person online.

The biggest reason you should ask them - THEY KNOW YOU AND ALL ABOUT WHATEVER HEALTH ISSUE(S) YOU MAY HAVE. This would have been on your application. If you really are a real person and trying to lose weight, good for you. But my guess is you are a "regular" poster here who created a new profile. If I am wrong we'll be seeing many more of your posts updating us on your progress, weight loss and health improvements.

How did you find this website as opposed to the many other fitness related websites out there that you could have joined?
Nothing wrong with a little help and encouragement from those of us on this forum who struggle with our weight. Give the OP a break.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 AM

20,940 posts, read 28,459,867 times
Like other's have said I would see your doctor first, have your thyroid, cholesterol, BP, A1C checked out. Weight Watchers is a great program to start with. I am on WW myself, 50 lbs down and about 25 more to go. My husband is a large man as well, he was 410 about 2 years ago lost 100 lbs but it has started to come back on, he's about 360 now. He was diagnosed type 2 diabetes in 2008 and when the weight came off his diabetes went away. I have a feeling it's back and I want to him to get his A1C checked again. Good Luck to you no matter which eating plan you choose, just make sure it's safe and healthy. BTW we do not have kids and one of the reasons at the time was my weight and hubby's weight plus other health issues he has so we decided it would be best to not have kids. He's 40 I am 42.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Definitely make an appt to see a doctor and have your health assessed. But in the meantime, do what you have to do to stop the gain. Like others have said, try some small changes first. Ex: If you have a bowl of ice cream every night, do without it for a while. Try a lower cal salad dressing. Cut down on the sodas and drink water or club soda instead.

You don't need to make a drastic overhaul of your diet to start seeing results.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM

178 posts, read 355,684 times
I agree with you! if you want to lose weight and want to maintain it for a long time then you firstly shoul forget about getting the instant results, and be persistent about your cause. 440lb is really a big score you should first seek a health adice from your health advisor.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,810,348 times
The OP last visited a year and half go. However, he is not the first person, nor the last, to face such an issue. Before someone starts a weight loss process first check with your doctor. There are about a half dozen medical issues that can pose problems due to weight. Joints, diabetes, and heart are the great big gotchas.

You don't need to start yourself for weight loss. Rather, make better nutritional decisions. Start by limiting junk foods, next reduce serving sizes, then focus on lowers carbs and fat. The body needs carbs and fats to fucntion. However a reducution is neede for success.

The other thing that makes the likelyhood of success greater is finding a buddy or group to support you and get you through the tough times.

Start an exercise program. Again in a bariatric setting consult with a physician. Even if you get 5 minutes you are still lapping someone on a couch.

When you set your mind to it, you can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss