Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times

Advertisements

An idea for exercising when you can't go outside is to use exercise videos. I order most of them from Collage Video. They have a good selection with reviews and you can watch a minute of each one. I've stayed fairly thin all my life and I think I have skinny genes, but I also work out regularly either by doing videos or running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Sad to say, most of the people I know who successfully lost a lot of weight gained it all back and more..They seemed to be successful at the dieting part, but were unsuccessful at life changing eating and excercising

Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
I want to start by eating less and moving more.
Yay you, for realizing that it is a two-part process. I lost over 70 lbs 20+ years ago and have kept it off using that simple formula.

Find "stuff" you LOVE to do...more than eating. Gardening. Walking. Hiking. Skiing. Running. Cycling. Dancing. Just make sure it floats your boat and you'll keep with it. When something becomes boring, find something new. It's ok (in fact it's preferable) that you have more than one form of playing (AKA "exercise) in your life.

Learn to COOK. It sounds counter-intuitive, but learning about food will help you LOVE the good stuff and stay away from the junk. Sign up for cooking classes and wine tastings. Shop at farmer's markets. Buy only the best local/organic produce. Your tatste-buds will change and soon you will eschew the crap-ola sold mass-market. Your body will thank you.

Blessings and best wishes on your journey!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
no... most lettuce you buy off the grocery shelves has been produced/stored/kept fresh before its shelf-life by them soaking the heads in sugar water. ...I thought this was a common fact that everyone knew?
No I never knew this Here I go around bragging about the fresh veggies I buy Do they also do this for organics?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,133 times
I have lost 40 lbs since April 2005. It really has been a lot slower than I had hoped, but its mainly because I don't diet.

I eat pretty normally and try to incoporate all foods into my diet (I just avoid fast food and soft drinks) and I limit my intake of candy and sweet tea.

I do exercise daily. Usually 45 min walking or an hour bike ride, etc

It seems like this is the only way to lose weight and keep it off

I had lost weight 3x before in my life with diet pills but gained all of it back within a few years- and more.

I still have at least 50 or 60 lbs to lose before I can be considered within a healthy weight range.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM

292 posts, read 933,845 times
Red face Check out the Fat flush plan!

Hello!
At the beginning of this year I had decided I was going to take off the extra 60 pounds I had hanging around. I went to the library and found some books and got started. One thing led to another and I discovered the Fat flush plan! Ann Louise Gittleman - Fat Flush, Fast Track, Detox, Colon Cleansing, Diet, Nutrition (hope it's ok for me to post that)
Ann louise Gittleman has many books out. Shes a nutritionist. One of the top ten in the USA. She also has a forum. So what you do. You get the basic book, The Fat Flush Plan. Read it. Start to take things OUT and then add things IN at the same time. You join the forum and there is so much support in all shapes and sizes! NO FEE!!! She also has a store online where you can purchase nutritionals and other things too.
I bought my Fat flush books on ebay.
Did I lose weight? Yes. I also found ways to get my menopause under control.
Staying on is the hard part for me. Just had our daughters wedding so I wasn't home for awhile as she lives out of town. I do plan to get back on though because when I was on that is when I felt the best! Really helped lots of other health issues I was having as well. Good for balancing out the hormones!!! Good for your health, not just weight loss.
Give it a look! Read the testimonies!
It sounds like your ready and motivated so I think you will do well!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,617 times
I have lost 186 LBS. the health way My Father is diabetic also and I was in your shoes exactly.

If you still need help email me at Moderator cut: sorry, no private e-mails here. DM instead. and I will help. I am just trying to give back.

Dave

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-25-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "Large" but at my peak I was 245lbs...then dropped that to 220-225 by making some diet changes a couple years ago.

Then later in 2008 I went on a strict diet and exercise program and am now about 180lbs. which is a very good weight for me.

Cholesterol dropped from very bad to "good".
I'm 38 years old.

Best of luck.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Thanks to all for your suggestions and helpful hints!
I do know that since I will be in this for the very long haul...counting calories or points will be too time consuming and discouraging. I plan on cutting portions, and eating alomst everything I eat now. My Dad's cardiologist calls it the saucer diet. Eat everythig you like, but put it on a saucer instead of a dinner plate. After watching the portion sizes from my Dad's meals in his most recent hospital stay, you get an idea what to eat. He lost 20 lbs. in 5 weeks in the hospital.
I used to be thin...very thin...I had to work at keeping my weight on. I gained 40 lbs. with each of my pregnancies and a little after that. I was 114 lbs. at 5'7" till I had my first child, now I'm more than twice that...my kids are 16 & 19 though...it has been too long. There is no one in my life right now besides my parents and husband who ever knew me as being thin. I dread the thought of visiting people who haven't seen me since then and have managed to avoid this situation.
I think I will try the big salad before dinner, I already only drink water, have done that forever. So that's one habit I don't have to kick!
You are going to need to count calories. To say that you don't have time is just saying you aren't really serious about doing this. Counting calories, and understanding the nutrition of what you are eat, is the ONLY way you can develop the tools that you can live by to stay healthy.

And forget the big salad before dinner. Have an SMALL salad, FOR dinner.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,282 times
Default adipose advice

Here are some adipose aphorisms I've made up;

1 You really are a "fat head".....Your brain is mostly fat!

2 Fat floats...You're preparing for the next big flood!

3 Heavy is hotter and fat insulates your inside for the ice age!

4 Fat is fluffy and fluffy's more fun!

5 Snugger seat belts are safer!

6 Fat was fashionable for more years than thin's been in!

7 Thinness, you see, is a sign of TB, and of other grave problems!

8 It's called a "Beer belly" because that's where what you drink will be.

9 Let the bread stay in THE bread basket, not YOUR bread brasket!

10 Put extra food in the WASTE - not on your WAIST, waisted twice!

11 Lesve calories behind not on de-behind!

12 Donlt lose fat - get rid of it. Don't find it!

JOB OFFER -- ILLUSTRATOR
SMALL BOOK, EXPANDS ABOVE
This is my 1st use of
City-Data Forum!!!
Let's fight the Depression and make
this project work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss