Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,426,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Ah, I see, a need to be "right," rather than helpful. I get it...as you were, carry on.
Before painting yourself as the righteous one here don't forget, you judge me and there's another finger pointing right back at you.

I did not correct what I saw so I could "be right". I don't have to prove that to anybody thank you. I corrected some fallacious comments as there is nothing helpful about fallacious "information", and it can even be dangerous, if people believe it. So pack away the assumptions please.

If something is incorrect, I will make it clear boldly, that it is indeed "rubbish", and if that tone offends you, don't try coming on here telling me off and getting personal when it only lends to start arguments and conflict which was not what I intended to do.

Thank you. "LittleDolphin".

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 10-12-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,435,704 times
This is why I almost never read this forum. You get a lot of people who have very different approaches to healthy eating, all saying their way is right and everyone else's is wrong, when there's little definitive proof about much of it. Nutritional information has been evolving for decades. There's a lot of contradictory information out there. And someone can check out self-proclaimed experts' websites until eventually they find one that touts big success and "proof" that the foods they prefer are the healthy way to go, decide to believe that guy, and then tell everyone who gets their information elsewhere that they're wrong.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,426,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
This is why I almost never read this forum. You get a lot of people who have very different approaches to healthy eating, all saying their way is right and everyone else's is wrong, when there's little definitive proof about much of it. Nutritional information has been evolving for decades. There's a lot of contradictory information out there. And someone can check out self-proclaimed experts' websites until eventually they find one that touts big success and "proof" that the foods they prefer are the healthy way to go, decide to believe that guy, and then tell everyone who gets their information elsewhere that they're wrong.
I agree with this.

I will not tell anybody what "the correct way to eat" is, or "what is healthy and what's not". Which is why I'm a believer of "everything in moderation", myself. Even the "experts" are always changing their mind as to whether something is healthy or not, hence it leaves one in something of a quandary of "what should I be eating then"? So I just eat a little of everything.

But I will correct misinformation in "forest beekeeper's" post regarding certain processes in the body, which was not understood; such as building muscle and metabolizing protein. Science (and many people who weight lift etc..) knows how those work, and what was said was incorrect, so I corrected it.

There is a difference between trying to correct somebody about matters regarding "beliefs" about what is healthy (which is impossible), and correcting somebody regarding processes in the body, however.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 10-12-2011 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
... I did not correct what I saw so I could "be right". I don't have to prove that to anybody thank you. I corrected some fallacious comments as there is nothing helpful about fallacious "information", and it can even be dangerous, if people believe it....
No you presented your opinion.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,809,512 times
Here's a link to articles about healthy food and it talks about the nutritional benefits of foods like sauerkraut (!), homemade meat broths, sourdough bread, raw milk, and many other types of foods. Some interesting findings are presented, such as the fact that sauerkraut is an excellent probiotic. Meat broths made from soup bones are a very good source of ca and other minerals and are protein sparing, meaning that you can get by with much less meat in your diet--and the gelatin in it is great for your stomach and intestines. Raw nuts should be soaked or sprouted b/c they have phytic acid in them that causes you to absorb less minerals from your food. Oatmeal does the same so you should soak your oats overnight. Etc, etc. Very interesting stuff and not what you'd expect. www.westonaprice.org

Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,681,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Since I think most people who eat Chinese or Mexican take out for dinner would like to make a positive change in their diets but do not have the first clue as to WHAT exactly they should be eating let us hear some suggestions....

WHAT are you eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner that you think constitutes a healthy diet? Where are you getting this or are you cooking it yourself?
I am a 41 year old female with roughly the same body I had in my 20s (I walk around with a little more muscle mass today, that's the major difference). I don't diet ever, save for the occasional vanity shred before a bikini vacation.

My number 1 question I ask of a person who wonders if their diet is healthy is this: how often do you move your bowels? Once a day is the bare minimum amount, and it should pass easily and not stink up the place. You will see plenty of sources claim that going every few days is "normal" today, but then again being over weight is "normal" today too. Every one is different, so what is healthy for me may not be healthy for you... but your intestinal transit time tells the truth about what you are eating. For instance, if I use dairy as a source of protein, my stool is nasty and runny the next day which tells me that dairy is not good for me. The next person can eat a ton of cheese and show no differences the next day. Pay attention to your stool and to other physical signs such as having a runny nose for no reason. Too much wheat, my nose is runny the next day. This tells me that wheat causes my body to up the amount of mucus it produces, because to MY body wheat is a pollutant. It may not be a pollutant in yours though!

I call this being a DIY Nutritionist. Your body tells you what is right for it, you just have to learn your body's language. Best thing everyone can do is what I call a food reboot in which you go super strict for a couple of weeks - google "Elimination Diet" for ideas - then add things back in one at a time while paying attention to how your body responds. Forget the arguments and debates over what is or is not healthy. Get a book that teaches you the basics, and then let your own body show you the way.

Here is what I consume in a typical week day:

6:45 am: homemade smoothie* - I freshly juice a large beet plus any vegetable scraps I might have around (like the stalks of broccoli, carrot bits etc), blended with 1/4 of an avocado, about 3/4 cup of fruit of some kind, protein powder (never made from whey or soy). Sometimes I throw in spinach or beet leaves. If it is too thick, I might thin it out with coconut water.

9:00 am: A hard boiled egg

12:00 pm: 1/2 of a big salad which typically contains a mix of romaine and spinach, carrots, broccoli, roasted red peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes,onions, sometimes a seed of some sort, other assorted veggies that look good that day, a little bit of blue cheese (though I shouldn't eat any at all), chicken breast and balsamic vinegar with no oil. I add the olive oil back in when I delete the cheese

3:30 pm: the other half of the big salad

7:30 pm: 4-5 oz of animal protein (usually chicken or fish), quinoa (1/4 cup dry cooked in chicken broth), and a whole bunch of veggies. This time of year it's mostly frozen stuff as it will be until spring. Typically I keep on hand in my freezer green beans, asparagus, broccolli, cauliflower, zucchini and eggplant. This time of year I roast a big squash once a week, so I can add a bit to my quinoa or whatever else I am eating.

You will note I did not list red meat. I'm not against it at all, but I will only eat high quality, grass fed red meat. That's very expensive, which means I don't have it often. Once a month or so i go out for juicy, grass fed medium rare burger topped with blue cheese and thick bacon. The negative physical effects are always quite obvious the next day, but I eat it anyway. (Pork has a slow bowel transit time, plus the dairy and wheat effects I have already mentioned.)

I only drink water, coffee on the weekends, and red wine.

*about smoothies. In between the smoothie and the egg I will have ridden 5 to 10 miles on my bike so I am using the fructose as an energy source. If you don't use the fructose, it will make you fat. Most people are better off not drinking them at all. On the weekends, when I am not on a bike at 7:30 am, I have a vegetable omelet for breakfast.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 11,198 times
Healthy feed it can itself provide if there are more green-stuffs and fruit, they can be different preparation. So the same very healthily. Train itself to the healthy ration and how do you do!!! Successes!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM

2,037 posts, read 3,355,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
It saddens me when a thread that starts out with a good question receives helpful advice and then--once again--degenerates into a pi**ing contest on holier than thou eating habits.

You know what? Anger and feelings of superiority are not healthy. You know what's healthy? Loving-kindness. Let's all practice it, okay?

Gee whiz, folks, let's be helpful and not try to prove our own personal diets are the absolute perfect ones.
I agree. I was interested in what ideas this thread would present. And it's so true that kindness and a peacefull attitude will make you healthier than anything

I've read quite a few books on the subject, and have seen a nutritionist - due to the fact that i was overweight, have several cancers in my family, developed severe osteoarthritis from a physical job i did for 19 years and retired on disability, and wanted to get healthier - more thru a healthy diet than thru medication!

Healthy foods can mean a couple things - what is healthy nutrition-wise, and then what is a healthy product to put into your system - ie. something that doesnt have tons of dyes, preservatives, hormones, chemicals, carcinogens, possible diseases and/or bacterias?

I am working on all of those above items - so it's a journey. But it's acutally fun, becuz for me it's more about adding GOOD things to my diet than removing things from it.

The first thing i DID stop eating was red meats, poultry, eggs, etc. - all flesh foods except for wild caught salmon and some cold-water shellfish now and then. I dont really care for meats - and what is in them BESIDES protein is much worse for me than the protein that i can get from other healthier sources.

I would agree with those who say choose things in their most natural state as much as you can. Everyone's eating habits are going to be different - that's why people will disagree. Some dont have time to prepare or cook, and some dont want to. I still allow myself some sweets (chocolate candy), and i still eat white pasta - I like Dreamfields Low-Carb. I cannot eat the wheat yet... just DONT like it. (If you want to know what's healthy, Google! Or i can tell you some books to read.) I also drink beer now and then... i'm not a healthnut freak or anything!

Raw is best, but i personally have to cook most of my veggies, except for salads. Wash all of your produce. Choose the most colorful (naturally) diet. Dark greens are awesome. Put your own flavorings in things. Choose butter or natural (raw) sugar over the fakes - just use a small amount where you have to.

Olive oil is healthy. Yogurt is healthy, especially Greek. I do not drink cow's milk, i use almond milk for my cereal and mostly everything else. It's fantastic. Onions and mushrooms have antioxidants and are very healthy. Beans and berries, nuts and seeds also!

I have beans and rice all the time - homemade with canned, rinsed beans and i love it. It's very easy to make and quick if you dont have to soak the beans. Use fresh herbs with it. I take a spoonful of local honey everyday to help with allergies. I make a 5-tea iced-tea homemade, and it's easy and delicious. Boil water, or i use the water from my Kuerig. I use green tea bags, white tea, black tea, pomegranite tea, and regular. I let them steep for 15 mins. in a pitcher, then add your sweetner and cold water to taste. I drink it every day

Other healthy items:
pomengranite
avacado
cherry juice concentrate
guava
whole wheat bread
pure maple syrup for sweetner

OK... i blabbed enuf...

Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
For me healthy food is ones that make me feel good without a bad reaction

Whole wheat/grains.........nope, mess my panties and have dynamic winds for days.
Dairy............................nope, joint and nerve inflammation.
Fruit............................nope, hurts my teeth and stomach.
High carb meal...............nope, drowsy...time to go to sleep.

GOOD FOR ME:

Eggs, wiver, low carb veggies, fish, all other organ meats-the bleechier the better, greasy chicken or any other fatty-fresh meat, liverwurst.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:43 AM

2,037 posts, read 3,355,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
For me healthy food is ones that make me feel good without a bad reaction

Whole wheat/grains.........nope, mess my panties and have dynamic winds for days.
Dairy............................nope, joint and nerve inflammation.
Fruit............................nope, hurts my teeth and stomach.
High carb meal...............nope, drowsy...time to go to sleep.

GOOD FOR ME:

Eggs, wiver, low carb veggies, fish, all other organ meats-the bleechier the better, greasy chicken or any other fatty-fresh meat, liverwurst.
Just be sure to have your cholestrol routinely checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss