Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,627,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I'm really starting to believe this is the key...everything in moderation. Notice my quote though...INCLUDING moderation. Every once in a great while it should be OK to really pig out on something you love, like for example if I'm back visiting my hometown of Buffalo, I'm not going to just have 2 or 3 wings...I'm going to go overboard.

The key is to go overboard very, very, very rarely. Special occasions. Holidays. That kind of thing. Day to day, 95% of the time, MODERATION.

"French women don't get fat" ...great book on the subject.
I belive this is very true, gorging once in a while is not a big deal for most people.

Man probably HAD to gorge when his food sources were very questionable, a very good survival mechanism.

Just like a lion...........lol, when they make a big catch they will eat 20-30 pounds of meat and then go pass out so as to not rip their guts open.

Now that humans in the USA have more than enough food......well, pigging out should be very rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,809,779 times
Any food that contains antibiotics, steroids, growth hormones, pesticides, or some other form of contamination is not healthy. This includes all animal products and non organic produce, so basically, about 99% of the stuff in your local grocery store. Organic meat is healthier than non organic meat however, by not eating meat you reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer significantly. So basically, the most healthy food is organic produce and even the stuff you get at the store is arguably crap because it's been out of the ground for upwards of a several days to a week.

The solution is to live somewhere sunny and grow your own food without pesticides, fungicides, or any other chemicals. If you choose to not do that, then you are compromising your health.

With all that said, its also very important to have a good attitude about what you eat. If you have to force yourself to eat celery and then feel stressed out and starved, you're probably better off eating a cheeseburger. Also it's important to move to healthier foods gradually or it will never stick.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:17 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
... The solution is to live somewhere sunny and grow your own food without pesticides, fungicides, or any other chemicals. If you choose to not do that, then you are compromising your health.
Most of the planet has more than enough sunlight.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Most of the planet has more than enough sunlight.
It doesn't where I live in Alaska. It also doesn't in one of the states I was looking into moving, which was West Virginia.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
It doesn't where I live in Alaska. It also doesn't in one of the states I was looking into moving, which was West Virginia.
It is impossible to grow food in Alaska and WV?

Really?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is impossible to grow food in Alaska and WV?

Really?

Not impossible but you end up eating the same stuff over and over again. One of my favorite fresh foods is tomatoes but we don't get enough sunlight or warmth to grow them in my part of Alaska.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Not impossible but you end up eating the same stuff over and over again. One of my favorite fresh foods is tomatoes but we don't get enough sunlight or warmth to grow them in my part of Alaska.
I see. Good thing I do not live in Alaska or WV then. Our tomatoes do pretty good here.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,700,616 times
Probably already stated but any greens and any food with polyunsaturated fatty acids in them.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,230 times
breakfast: 2 Bananas, maybe an apple, coffee (no sugar)

lunch: homemade fruit/veggie salad. Veggies are steamed (like potatoes, cauliflower) or raw (spinach, peppers, etc.). Some feta cheese & dry fruits mixed in for taste. Grilled chicken or fish added for protein.

dinner: Sauted veggies in olive oil & herbs (dried basil, rosemary, etc. easily available stores)

between meals snack: dry fruits, seasonal fruits

drink: water, coconut water, slightly flavored water (no sugar)

Once in a while I do binge on greasy takeouts or on trips but on regular days this is my diet. In restaurants I try to stick to salad bar or order salads without dressing from the menu.

Might seem a difficult diet but its very tasty & filling when you make your own creations by mixing & matching seasonal fruits & veggies. Go to a farmers market every week to find different combinations for your meals. Try different restaurant salads to get creative ideas. Hold the carbs (rice, bread) & sugar for a healthy, long life.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,993,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Probably already stated but any greens and any food with polyunsaturated fatty acids in them.
Funnel cakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss