Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times

Advertisements

Good for you that Paleo works for you. Get back to us in a year and tell us if you are still following it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Good for you that Paleo works for you. Get back to us in a year and tell us if you are still following it.
It's already been more than a year and it's as easy as day one.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
See this post is what really annoys me. You don't read what I've said, or you don't read the information I've left links to. So now I have to repeat myself or find the information for you.
AS I'VE SAID, I follow an 80/20 rule. 80% strict, 20% not. This is recommended in one of the books I linked to and I think it's a good idea and it works for ME.
I don't like cake. But let's say there was pie. I would eat a slice a pie. It's not going to kill me. Sometimes I even have full cheat DAYS! This can actually help push you over a plateau.

How is your post above an argument against Paleo specifically? Is cake a normal part of any other diet? Of course not. Do people cheat occasionally on other diets? Of course they do. More than they will tell you. My family is Italian. When i go to mom's for her homemade sauce and spaghetti, I focus more on the meatballs and sausage but I have a little spaghetti. No big deal.
Do I eat grass fed meats all the time? No. Like you said, they are expensive and not as easy to come by. It requires special trips for me. Although I am about to start ordering my meats online from a well known supplier. But I do enjoy getting out to the local farmers markets when i can.

It's ABSOLUTELY sustainable long term because it's LESS restrictive than anything else. ALL OTHER DIETS FAIL, because of their restrictiveness. Maybe not in the TYPES of foods, but in their quantity. It's the same old thing with every other diet. People go on the diet. They lose a bunch of weight in the beginning. They get amped up. They continue. The weight starts to drop off slower. They start to get discouraged. They are hungry all the freakin time. They finally start to give in. Weight loss comes to a halt. They eventually gain it all back and sometimes more.

This is where Paleo differs. The beginning is a little tough. People like bread, pasta, sugar, etc. Some people even get what they call the "carb flu". But it gets easier and easier. You never go hungry on Paleo. You end up eating MORE calories than you did before and you still drop weight. Talk about being amped. Eventually the weight loss starts to slow. But that's ok, you still eat like a king! And you feel good. And you still see some weight loss. Meanwhile it's a year later. Still easy? Holy cow. Who woulda thunk it? Now you are working out, getting lots of exercise, weight is staying the same, you are looking leaner. And you are still eating like a king. Even eating out is easy. Paleo is 100% sustainable long term. Because it's not a diet. It's not starving your body.

Any other idiotic comments you want to make?

BTW, the reason i'm posting the pyramid (mr moderator) is to make a point and to show that it's not restrictive like bosco seems to think it is. Look at it. Other than grains there is really nothing missing. It was easier to post the image again than constantly repeating myself.

There is no argument to win or lose for me here.
I came into this thread to give MY experience with Paleo.
Apparently MY experience is too much for some people to handle, and these people have turned it into an argument.
If you are this worked up about a diet you know nothing about, get a life. Step away from the computer and go do something healthy.
Paleo works great, it's super freakin easy, it's healthy, it's fun. That's MY experience. There is no denying it. It's not arguable.
If you can't handle that, or you disagree with this and think that's NOT my experience, that's not MY problem. It's yours.
Have a nice day.
LOL

And you say that I am worked up over this? I was not rude in my posts at all. Please tell me why you felt the need to be rude to me in yours.

Actually, no I didn't read the links that you posted because I tried Paleo myself. So, don't assume that everyone who disagrees with you knows nothing about the diet.

I got sucked into Paleo while doing Crossfit. For some people, Paleo and Crossfit go hand-in-hand. Anyway, Paleo did not work for me. Number one, it was too expensive for me. And I don't find it any healthier than eating a clean diet. I have been eating clean far longer than I tried Paleo and I am in perfect health (according to bloodwork).

You have a nice day as well.

Last edited by mochamajesty; 01-16-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have very mixed thoughts on this diet it make some sense on some things and it doesn't on others. The biggest thing I would agree on is not drinking milk made for another animal. It make's sense with all the crap that's pumped into it.
Why would you say that? Milk is supremely nutritious and many of the hormones given to cows to increase milk production has been used for decades no with no legitimate link to negative health effects ever being proven.

Quote:
AS I'VE SAID, I follow an 80/20 rule. 80% strict, 20% not. This is recommended in one of the books I linked to and I think it's a good idea and it works for ME.
And generally speaking, that would be a good idea.

Quote:
It's ABSOLUTELY sustainable long term because it's LESS restrictive than anything else
Really? I don't know of any other mainstream diets out there that instruct you to eliminate two entire food groups. Perhaps you can be more specific?

Quote:
ALL OTHER DIETS FAIL
So Paleo is the only diet in the entire world that works? Is that what you are really suggesting?

Quote:
because of their restrictiveness. Maybe not in the TYPES of foods, but in their quantity. It's the same old thing with every other diet. People go on the diet. They lose a bunch of weight in the beginning. They get amped up. They continue. The weight starts to drop off slower. They start to get discouraged. They are hungry all the freakin time. They finally start to give in. Weight loss comes to a halt. They eventually gain it all back and sometimes more.
Just curious, but what other diets do you have experience on. Again, be specific.

Quote:
BTW, the reason i'm posting the pyramid (mr moderator) is to make a point and to show that it's not restrictive like bosco seems to think it is. Look at it. Other than grains there is really nothing missing. It was easier to post the image again than constantly repeating myself.
Really? Your food pyramid is nearly 100% in line with the Paleo guidelines I posted. How are you going to take the position that it is not restrictive?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Mmmmmmm.... chicken skin.....

Sorry. Really enjoying my lunch right now.
You kids continue with your riveting repetitive discussion.
I especially enjoy all the work put into the quotes.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Really? I don't know of any other mainstream diets out there that instruct you to eliminate two entire food groups. Perhaps you can be more specific?
I tried to let that go, but you since you keep persisting. Which two is that again? Grains and....

Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Good post Mocha. Yes real life tends to get in the way of extreme eating. I am an omnivore and I eat whole fresh foods, cook everyday and generally consider myself to be a very healthy eater. I also love a good loaf of fresh sour dough bread dipped in olive oil, or some polenta with sauteed veggies over it. I will indulge in some ice-cream if my mood strikes me. The freedom to be able to eat what one wishes within moderation of course and focusing on real, whole foods is a much sounder approach to nutrition then these wacked out trendy diets that come along every few years.
I will agree that most people were unaware of this type of eating program prior to books being written about it several years ago. However, it is ANYTHING but a "trendy diet". The system is based upon the way that humanity ate for about 50,000 years before our modern era. To really understand and appreciate how important this is, you have to grasp the fact that we have not had any significant evolutionary changes in our body for AT LEAST the past 10,000 years. The paleo system (I don't like to use the term diet, because that causes confusion), is based upon food that we EVOLVED eating for thousands (if not millions) of years. We evolved concurrently, and developed a symbiotic relationship with these foods.

In it's natural form, it is very difficult for humans to digest and use the nutritional benefits of grain - because by NATURE we are not grain-eating creatures. We do not have the necessary dentition to fully process the grain kernals and we do not have the enzymes necessary in our digestive tract to fully break down the cellulose (i.e. "fiber"). This proves that it is not a natural food for us.

Certainly, anything that MUST BE COOKED is not a food that we evolved eating because the use of fire by humanity for COOKING is only a hundred thousand years old (give or take). When humans consume cooked foods their body creates excessive amounts of mucus to protect delicate tissues from damage from the cooked foods. This mucus prevents the absorption of nutrients. Persons who consume cooked foods utilize approximately 2 percent of the nutrients. Persons who consume raw food utilize approximately 80 percent.

Cooking food also causes chemical reactions to the food which create toxins (remember chemistry class?). These toxins have to be filtered by the liver and kidneys which causes undue stress upon them. There are many diseases (such as gout) which are caused by buildup of uric acid in the body as a result of eating too much cooked protein which is recognized as a toxin by the body.

You may believe that you are eating a healthy diet, and compared to someone who eats all their meals at McDonalds, or Wendy's, I suppose you are. But your diet could be much healthier by following a system that provides the nutrients your body needs without the toxic body burden that cooked food creates.

It is very difficult to change a lifetime of dietary habits. I have to admit that I am working hard myself but have not yet gotten there. But it is worth the effort, believe me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
I tried to let that go, but you since you keep persisting. Which two is that again? Grains and....
Dairy.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
[quote=Bosco55David;22568205]Why would you say that? Milk is supremely nutritious and many of the hormones given to cows to increase milk production has been used for decades no with no legitimate link to negative health effects ever being proven.

[quote]

Like with with anything else people will tell you something is bad for you one day day and good for you then next. Yes, the majority of reports I've read state that milk is indeed good for you. Yet your still drinking milk made for another animal. There are pros and cons when it comes to dairy foods. Much like anything else. I can pull up websites states how and why Milk is bad for you. Or dairy overall I guess it's just what you choose to believe.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Dairy.
Thank you.
Exactly why i posted the pyramid several times.
"High Fat Dairy" is there. Plain as day.
This is why I still eat some cheese, i drink half n half in my lattes and coffee, real whipped cream on my coconut milk ice cream or berries, the occasional gelato... i just stay away from the skim milk and 2%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss