Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,635 times

Advertisements

How do I do it? I am reaching out to see if anyone has some advice for kicking the sugar binges. I am borderline fanatic with eating healthy, vitamins, antioxidants, hydration, active life style, etc. My downfall, the sugar binges...once I start, theres no stopping. Any suggestions and how to stop the cravings? I was told that once the sugar is out of your system, its like any other addiction, you don't crave it any longer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Jeannie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,453,103 times
You just wrote my dieting life story!!! I don't eat sugary cereal, granola bars, don't drink any soda, eat only whole wheat bread, etc. It's really hard to stop eating sugar, though. I don't get it, either. So far, I've been doing better with the food journal we have going here. I don't want to admit to my CD buddies that I ate sweets again (except today), so I often don't do it. There was a point in college I stopped eating all sweets for a year. Literally. I never had dessert, a piece of candy, nothing. I read an article in some girly magazine that this woman gained weight because she was a secret at-home binger (like me... I have no problem saying "no" to sweets in public), and she started eating everything she ate at home in the nude in front of a mirror. Okay, I didn't go to that extreme, but I did keep a picture of myself in a bikini in my dresser drawer and forced myself to look at that picture if I wanted the Twinkie (btw - I don't even like Twinkies). Other than this, I try to substitute foods. Coffee always takes care of a sugar crave for me!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
How do I do it? I am reaching out to see if anyone has some advice for kicking the sugar binges. I am borderline fanatic with eating healthy, vitamins, antioxidants, hydration, active life style, etc. My downfall, the sugar binges...once I start, theres no stopping. Any suggestions and how to stop the cravings? I was told that once the sugar is out of your system, its like any other addiction, you don't crave it any longer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Jeannie
Before I met my husband I never ate sweets (okay, maybe a little sugar in my coffee). Then, my husband started bringing home the ice cream (which I never bought), and chocolates... I was hooked. It was over - I was a sugar junkie. I would eat something sweet every single day. After my last child though I decided to get back to my normal weight. So, I picked ONE sweet that I could have everyday but only one tiny serving - a dark chocolate square. I couldn't go cold turkey. After a while I was able to scale that back and now I eat ice cream occasionally and I don't crave sweets anymore. I think I just had so much in my system that I started to crave it... if that makes sense.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Sugar hides everywhere. In the form of carbohydrates. Let's say you eat a slice of whole grain wheat bread. Wheat is a carbohydrate. An enzyme called Maltase starts turning that carbohydrate into sugar in your mouth. And sugar is sugar. It matters very little if it comes from bread or a Snickers bar. That's why it's so hard to completely get off the sugar.

I do much better if I'm completely off sugar. I've found that eating sugar makes me want more sugar. It takes me 4 or 5 days to completely de-sugar myself.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
I think eating meals and 3 small snacks a day that are a balance of carbs and protein is really helpful in decreasing urges to eat sugar....the other thing is to cut out all diet sodas - they are so much sweeter than sugar and even though they have no calories, they still set a precedent for expecting and craving really sweet foods.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
First, don't buy any. If you buy sweets, or sweeten drinks "just in case" you will eat those goodies. No one else in the house does either, so just forego everything like that. Sugar for the coffee is enough. Forget the jelly for the toast.

I have found that for myself, a high protein diet with low carbs curbs that urge better. It satisfies hunger better. And last longer because it seems it takes longer to completly digest.

When you feel the urge, drink water. It really helps. Sometimes we just mis-interpret what the body needs.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:22 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times
I am the "out of site out of mind type"
So now instead of keeping my dark chocolate M&Ms in a jar on my desk I keep them in the pantry. That way if I want I take a few then put them away. The few take care of the craving.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Before I met my husband I never ate sweets (okay, maybe a little sugar in my coffee). Then, my husband started bringing home the ice cream (which I never bought), and chocolates... I was hooked. It was over - I was a sugar junkie. I would eat something sweet every single day. After my last child though I decided to get back to my normal weight. So, I picked ONE sweet that I could have everyday but only one tiny serving - a dark chocolate square. I couldn't go cold turkey. After a while I was able to scale that back and now I eat ice cream occasionally and I don't crave sweets anymore. I think I just had so much in my system that I started to crave it... if that makes sense.
It totally makes sense. Sugar is very addictive, it actually gets you feeling "high" so to speak. Thats what makes it so addictive. I know all the reasons not to eat it, the medical aspect of it, inflammation in the body, etc. etc., just can't kick it.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Sugar hides everywhere. In the form of carbohydrates. Let's say you eat a slice of whole grain wheat bread. Wheat is a carbohydrate. An enzyme called Maltase starts turning that carbohydrate into sugar in your mouth. And sugar is sugar. It matters very little if it comes from bread or a Snickers bar. That's why it's so hard to completely get off the sugar.

I do much better if I'm completely off sugar. I've found that eating sugar makes me want more sugar. It takes me 4 or 5 days to completely de-sugar myself.
I believe we all need some form of carbs, especially for brain functioning....I think my question is, when you de-sugar yourself, what can you eat?

Old 08-25-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think eating meals and 3 small snacks a day that are a balance of carbs and protein is really helpful in decreasing urges to eat sugar....the other thing is to cut out all diet sodas - they are so much sweeter than sugar and even though they have no calories, they still set a precedent for expecting and craving really sweet foods.
That is a good point.......I think that would be a good place to start, cutting out the diet soda.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss