Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,674 times

Advertisements

I agree with this article. I am very addicted to fatty and other junk foods. i always think about food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
so somesome is both cherrypicking studies, and then quoting them in a misleading fashion, while ignoring previous discussions on the topic.

Did someone say "junk science"?
No, my point was that stuff which is considered as "known" today isn't necessarily accurate. The studies I brought up were to show that topics such as the "danger of excess weight" aren't as well identified as many folks portray.

This was in response to post #17.

And, relative to the initial posting, fatty foods addictive as cocaine is nonsense.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
No, my point was that stuff which is considered as "known" today isn't necessarily accurate. The studies I brought up were to show that topics such as the "danger of excess weight" aren't as well identified as many folks portray.

This was in response to post #17.

And, relative to the initial posting, fatty foods addictive as cocaine is nonsense.

A. the dangers of obesity are quite real, and there is mixed evidence on overweight short of obesity - its certainly a good thing that studies have been done on the overweight

B. this is one study. Of course its worthwhile to conduct others to see if they disagree. You have shown no evidence its junk science, other than your political ideology.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,786,691 times
Can't say I've ever had a cocaine addiction, but I doubt it's comparable to a sweets addiction.

I used to eat a lot more junk. I could eat a whole sleeve of oreos in one sitting with a couple glasses of milk. When I started taking charge of my own grocery shopping, I just didn't buy the sweet stuff and with time I lost my taste for it. Now I eat one or two cookies and get a stomach ache.

Any coke heads want to chime in?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,234,050 times
Default I dunno.....

Whoa! As addictive as Cocaine.....I'm screwed now....who runs the rehab for fatty foods? Does this mean I can go shoot someone and get away with it like the Twinkee Defense guy way back when? Just curious....my neighbors are really getting to me......

So, that expalins it....between 4 ding dongs, cup of ice cream, wedge of 3 layer chocolate cake with cream frosting, and 4 tootsie pops washed down with an ice cold glass of milk, I'm toast.....I think it's only proper that this guy in the White House afford me a rehab center to the likes of which I have become accustomed? After all, I can't help myself so I guess, with his logic, the rest of you should......

Now, what do I do about that big breast/Double DD cup addiction? Hey, we all have needs....forgive me....

Man, I'm a mess.....

Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
It's just rhetoric. Don't forget all the other things that are even MORE addictive than cocaine.

Air, for example. Try NOT breathing for a few minutes. Let me know how that works for ya. You're addicted, and you will NEVER get over that addiction. In fact, the withdrawal from air addiction is so extreme, that it is guaranteed to kill you.

Food is another example, though less extreme. You can have a milder addiction - that is to say, you can survive eating only once every few days, for a long time. It'll destroy your health and you probably won't live til you're 100, but it's doable.

Water - another one, more severe than food, less severe than air. You can live without water for a day, a couple of days - maybe even three. Eventually though, the withdrawal from water will shut down your organs. You will CRAVE water. NEED it. And if you are given water, you might try to drink so much that you become bloated and pass out, or puke. That's what happens to a water addict who is forbidden to drink water for an extended period of time, and then is given a half-gallon jug.

Sugar? You can live without sugar easily. Withdrawal can be, and will be, uncomfortable, if you get the cravings. Junk food? No contest. Not even remotely addictive. You might get a craving for them on occasion, but you won't suffer if you don't give in to the craving. It's purely psychological. Starch? Very attractive. Withdrawal is also uncomfortable, maybe even more than sugar. But compared to cocaine addiction? Nah. It's a cakewalk.

Just remember, EVERYONE is addicted to food. You must eat, or you will suffer physical withdrawal and deterioration, and ultimately death, if you refrain from eating.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM

folks might try reading the article linked in the OP. Its interesting.

Note they said adddictive as cocaine, not heroin. IE not physical withdrawl symptoms, but rather that the brains reward system is rewired. The science is interesting, and suggestive.

Ive never had a cocaine addiction, and in general am not prone to addiction. That the brain mechanisms are similar might explain why so many people have such difficulty changing their behavior. Its certainly not worthy of being dismissed out of hand because we dont like what we think are the implications of what it says, or because we think the idea is funny.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM

for example

"In one 2010 study conducted by researchers at the University of Texas in Austin and the Oregon Research Institute, a nonprofit group that studies human behavior, 26 overweight young women were given magnetic resonance imaging scans as they got sips of a milkshake made with Haagen-Dazs ice cream and Hershey Co.’s chocolate syrup.
The same women got repeat MRI scans six months later. Those who had gained weight showed reduced activity in the striatum, a region of the brain that registers reward, when they sipped milkshakes the second time, according to the study results, published last year in the Journal of Neuroscience.
“A career of overeating causes blunted reward receipt, and this is exactly what you see with chronic drug abuse,” said Eric Stice, a researcher at the Oregon Research Institute."

Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's just rhetoric. Don't forget all the other things that are even MORE addictive than cocaine.

Air, for example. Try NOT breathing for a few minutes. Let me know how that works for ya. You're addicted, and you will NEVER get over that addiction. In fact, the withdrawal from air addiction is so extreme, that it is guaranteed to kill you.

Food is another example, though less extreme. You can have a milder addiction - that is to say, you can survive eating only once every few days, for a long time. It'll destroy your health and you probably won't live til you're 100, but it's doable.

Water - another one, more severe than food, less severe than air. You can live without water for a day, a couple of days - maybe even three. Eventually though, the withdrawal from water will shut down your organs. You will CRAVE water. NEED it. And if you are given water, you might try to drink so much that you become bloated and pass out, or puke. That's what happens to a water addict who is forbidden to drink water for an extended period of time, and then is given a half-gallon jug.

Sugar? You can live without sugar easily. Withdrawal can be, and will be, uncomfortable, if you get the cravings. Junk food? No contest. Not even remotely addictive. You might get a craving for them on occasion, but you won't suffer if you don't give in to the craving. It's purely psychological. Starch? Very attractive. Withdrawal is also uncomfortable, maybe even more than sugar. But compared to cocaine addiction? Nah. It's a cakewalk.

Just remember, EVERYONE is addicted to food. You must eat, or you will suffer physical withdrawal and deterioration, and ultimately death, if you refrain from eating.

"Short Definition of Addiction: Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors. Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death."
The Definition of Addiction Adopted: April 12, 2011 Revised:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss