Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

A parent can't "discipline" a child into eating right and exercising. In fact, it would be counter-productive to strictly supervise everything a child eats and to force him or her to exercise because they are going to have to make those decisions for themselves the rest of their lives. The best thing a parent can do is limit the amount of junk food available, set a good example when it comes to diet and exercise and keep the lines of communication open.

And make sure they know you love them, just the way they are, every single day.

You can talk to any teenager or adult out there with an eating disorder and I bet 95% of them will tell you that mealtimes were torture and their parents nagged them constantly about their weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is well-meaning, but simplistic. There's also a good chance that Sue will resent her diet and appearance being micro-mananged while her brother is free to eat and do whatever he wants, and she'll develop an eating disorder or poor body image as a result.
And again, this will also have nothing to do with genetics.

My point, is that genetics do not -determine the outcome- of fat vs. not fat. They trigger the *capacity* to become fat. Behavior determines the *actuality* of it.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And again, this will also have nothing to do with genetics.

My point, is that genetics do not -determine the outcome- of fat vs. not fat. They trigger the *capacity* to become fat. Behavior determines the *actuality* of it.

This is true because if everyone had infinite will power nobody would be fat.

The point is some people do not require as much will power (if any) to remain thin.

Nobody is saying that it is impossible to be thin.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Before I had children I was an expert on childraising--I knew so much more than all those "idiots" that were struggling with their spoiled little brats. Now I have my own and I work with special ed kids and know better than to lambaste people for stuff when I have no idea what I'm talking about and I certainly don't talk down to them. I also know that you can lead a horse to water. . .

Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
A parent can't "discipline" a child into eating right and exercising. In fact, it would be counter-productive to strictly supervise everything a child eats and to force him or her to exercise because they are going to have to make those decisions for themselves the rest of their lives. The best thing a parent can do is limit the amount of junk food available, set a good example when it comes to diet and exercise and keep the lines of communication open.

And make sure they know you love them, just the way they are, every single day.

You can talk to any teenager or adult out there with an eating disorder and I bet 95% of them will tell you that mealtimes were torture and their parents nagged them constantly about their weight.
It probably wouldn't do much good anyway. I used to go over to my girlfriend's house to get my fill of junk food. Most kids are out and about where eating opportunities are a constant.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM

8,955 posts, read 20,376,989 times
I know that one of the reasons I was so skinny in my teen years is because I lived on a farm that was 20 miles from the nearest town.
I didn't go to a fast-food restaurant until I had my own car in my Senior year of high school (1968)!
And, being raised on a farm, I also got plenty of exercise!

The word I was trying to think of is "Special Needs" that gs is.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM

The other day I got a book from the library entitled What's Eating Your Child? : the hidden connections between food and childhood ailments: anxiety, recurrent ear infections, stomach aches, picky eating, rashes, ADHD, and more. And what evey Parent can do about it. I thought she would have some advice for us, but here is what she said about childhood obesity:
Quote:
I have concluded that obesity is not a nutritional problem but a cultural one. Our entire culture conspires against weight loss, and this thorny issue will not be solved by nutritionists. For this reason, you will not find a chapter in this book on childhood obesity. Our wonderful intellectual solutions don't work at all.
I think I know what she means. I went totally off sugar for several years but there was a lot of pressure for me to go back on--from people bringing me birthday cakes and being upset that I didn't eat any to one man asking me when I was going to get off that "crazy diet." Yeah, I finally gave in and haven't been able to get off for very long since.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
"I have concluded that obesity is not a nutritional problem but a cultural one. Our entire culture conspires against weight loss, and this thorny issue will not be solved by nutritionists. For this reason, you will not find a chapter in this book on childhood obesity. Our wonderful intellectual solutions don't work at all. "

Our culture also seems conspires against weight gain. Pressure to be thin. Marketing to lose weight. Billions and billions spent on weight loss efforts.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Our culture also seems conspires against weight gain. Pressure to be thin. Marketing to lose weight. Billions and billions spent on weight loss efforts.
Yeah we're sort of schizophrenic aren't we?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM

8,955 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Yes, whether it's a child or an adult, American doesn't like seeing heavy people! Of course, coming from my previous medical experience, heaviness-to obesity doesn't alway come from and eating problem or lack of exercise........prescription meds can have a lot to do with weight gain. I know that gs is on medications for his "special needs", because dd told me that they are costly. I also know that a thyroid problem can also cause weight gain.

If the child is eating right and getting exercise, a weight problem could very well be from meds being taken and/or a thyriod problem. The family knows this, but American doesn't and will automatically come to the conclusion that the child is over eating, eating the wrong stuff and not getting enough exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss