Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:01 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times

Advertisements

I work out with a personal trainer 3 times a week for 1 hour and we do solid circuit training with weights and an ab routine for that hour (no breaks) so I do get some cardio benefits. It is intense, for example I'm chest pressing 30 lbs in each hand so no babying. This has been going on over 3 months. He also changes things around to trick my body.

My trainer asked me to eat small meals 6 times a day and cut out all starchy carbs and include lots of protein, and only low glycemic veggies and fruit. This is the only way I can lose any weight (believe me when I say this - I SO wish it were not true). I have recently lost 13-15 lbs (depending on the day) following this plan (it looks like more though as I've toned considerably) and am approx. 12 lbs away from my goal of 25% body fat (which apparently is quite normal for a woman and would be a huge feat for me).

Here's my problem, the diet is too binding for me and consequestly I've had bowel issues - constipation, pain, cramping etc., possibly even a blockage. I was drinking lots and getting enough fiber (I added Psyllium hulls, and eat flax seed, nuts and chia seeds) but perhaps not enough fat. I am now eating more carbs (only for a few days to heal my bowel issues, which it is doing, but I've already gained back 3 lbs - I'm not going crazy with my diet either). I can already feel my body getting flabbier and my pants are getting tighter again .

I have a number of health issues which make losing weight harder - hypothryoid (since birth), Hashimoto's, PCOS and Celiac. Hard to believe that one can have all of these issues but I do. PCOS makes all starchy carbs and sugar foods turn right into fat and makes the body want to hold on to fat for life . I have been told by doctors that I have a tough row to how but I am determined to make this work.

I have also done lots of cardio in my life - trained for a 10k, hiked 2-3 hours a day 4-5 days a week etc. and nothing has really worked for me in terms of fat loss except an extreme diet (and even then it's very hard to lose).

Any thoughts on how I can lose weight without ruining my bowel in the process? I have now added 2 tbsp of good oil (fish oil and Udo's) into my diet.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Have you spoken to an MD?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Have you spoken to an MD?
Absolutely

Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Perhaps lower weights at higher reps, for more toning and less bulking. That's what my trainer recommended when I told him I have -zero- interest in "definition" but high interest in feeling and looking healthier, more toned. So instead of 30-pounds-per-hand chest presses, you might try 20 pounds, and add another 10 reps to each set. That's just a for instance. Apply as appropriate to your other exercises as well.

Also, return some actual cardio to your routine. Yes, you're getting "some" cardio now with all that exercise. But you're mostly building muscle and not losing much fat. Fat people can have amazing muscular strength, and still be blubbery over all that muscle. My abs were rock hard - under the 3-4 inches of flab, so I know of what I speak. I could do reclined leg presses at over 100 pounds, even with a thick layer of cellulite covering my thighs.

It wasn't til I started doing *daily* cardio, in conjunction with strength training, that I lost fat. You don't even need to do a lot of it every day. A mere 10 minutes on the Arc trainer daily will give you results, IF you haven't been doing it at all. If you've been doing it - do more of it. Or switch it up with some spinning and treadmill, and jumping rope, or tabattas if your knees are in good shape.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks Anonchick, I am doing some cardio besides my workout but maybe I need it daily - that will be a big challenge for me but I will make it happen.

My trainer is mixing things up with lighter wieghts and higher reps - actually we did so the last couple of workouts due to a slight back injury (which seems to be related to the colon issue). He says I won't bulk up doing 30 lbs though and if I do we can back off quickly.

My main concern is how to eat what I need to eat to lose weight without destroying my colon (I think I said bowel above but I meant colon). My trainer can survive on almost straight protein but obviously I can't.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 11-20-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I work out with a personal trainer 3 times a week for 1 hour and we do solid circuit training with weights and an ab routine for that hour (no breaks) so I do get some cardio benefits. It is intense, for example I'm chest pressing 30 lbs in each hand so no babying. This has been going on over 3 months. He also changes things around to trick my body.

My trainer asked me to eat small meals 6 times a day and cut out all starchy carbs and include lots of protein, and only low glycemic veggies and fruit. This is the only way I can lose any weight (believe me when I say this - I SO wish it were not true). I have recently lost 13-15 lbs (depending on the day) following this plan (it looks like more though as I've toned considerably) and am approx. 12 lbs away from my goal of 25% body fat (which apparently is quite normal for a woman and would be a huge feat for me).

Here's my problem, the diet is too binding for me and consequestly I've had bowel issues - constipation, pain, cramping etc., possibly even a blockage. I was drinking lots and getting enough fiber (I added Psyllium hulls, and eat flax seed, nuts and chia seeds) but perhaps not enough fat. I am now eating more carbs (only for a few days to heal my bowel issues, which it is doing, but I've already gained back 3 lbs - I'm not going crazy with my diet either). I can already feel my body getting flabbier and my pants are getting tighter again .

I have a number of health issues which make losing weight harder - hypothryoid (since birth), Hashimoto's, PCOS and Celiac. Hard to believe that one can have all of these issues but I do. PCOS makes all starchy carbs and sugar foods turn right into fat and makes the body want to hold on to fat for life . I have been told by doctors that I have a tough row to how but I am determined to make this work.

I have also done lots of cardio in my life - trained for a 10k, hiked 2-3 hours a day 4-5 days a week etc. and nothing has really worked for me in terms of fat loss except an extreme diet (and even then it's very hard to lose).

Any thoughts on how I can lose weight without ruining my bowel in the process? I have now added 2 tbsp of good oil (fish oil and Udo's) into my diet.

Thanks!
Out of curiousity, how long have you been on the restricted diet?

I have a "normal" bowel so none of this may apply to you (just words of encouragment, I'm quite certain that I have no idea how to advise someone with such complicated dietary requirements) but when I went to a low-glycemic style diet I had some horrible bathroom experiences for about a month before I saw any improvement; I just needed to give my body time to adjust.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Out of curiousity, how long have you been on the restricted diet?

I have a "normal" bowel so none of this may apply to you (just words of encouragment, I'm quite certain that I have no idea how to advise someone with such complicated dietary requirements) but when I went to a low-glycemic style diet I had some horrible bathroom experiences for about a month before I saw any improvement; I just needed to give my body time to adjust.
I'm supposed to be on it for life (according to my docs) but most recetly about 3 1/2 - 4 months. I have been on it before but perhaps with less protein than my trainer advises.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 PM

249 posts, read 473,765 times
Hey adventure girl I have PCOS too, I just found out about it a week ago while at the doctor for my annual check up and I am having a heck of a time losing weight... I work out 4 days a week doing 55min cardio sessions with 20 min of circuit training and all that happens is I loose inches and not weight... I am at a loss too. Having no starchy foods have worked for you? hmmmm

Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 PM

366 posts, read 775,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Thanks!
adventuregurl; no disrespect to your trainer, but sometimes they (i.e., "trainers") take the generic approach to fitness, which basically is a kind of "one size fits all" regime. At the gym where I workout 5x's per week, there's one particular trainer who has his clients (all women) perform fitness drills that you can watch on Youtube. The exercises they perform, basically have zero fitness benefits for his clients. Why do I say that? They, being his clients, don't even break a sweat, and to me, that's a telltale sign of minimal fitness development. So, basically what I'm saying to you is to take a very intrinsic approach to your training which involves the old age maxim, "no pain, no gain" path to fitness.

I'm 56yo, and I, as one, very knowledgeable trainer at my gym said, "bring it" every time I workout. Therefore, my suggestions to you have nothing to do with my ego, but with the success I've reached with a similar "fitness/weight loss conundrum." One other thing, my over riding motivation for my "bringing it" attitude to working out is that I have a genetic disposition for renal kidney failure, GI tract problems and type 2 diabetes. As a result of my "bringing it" attitude workouts (that's a copyright, hon) I take zero medication, my b/p reading hovers around 110/70, and my internist and urologist always sake their heads in amazement that I'm not taking any medication given my family history. BTW, I lost about 45lbs over the past eight months (I'm 6'5"/225lbs.), while gaining a considerable amount of lean muscle, which in turn has made me stronger, faster and fitter, than I was 30 years ago.

So, here are my suggests for you to overcome your "fitness/weight loss conundrum": 1) instead of three workouts per week, increase it to four or five times per week alternating the intensity of each workout, 2) increase/include the amount/time you spend doing core exercise sets: push ups, crunches, and leg raises, 3) utilize the elliptical treadmill at least thirty minutes per workout, 4) occasionally employ the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) fitness mode when doing cardio on the elliptical treadmill, 5) pump iron rather than push/pull machines, 6) the best weight reduction/whole body weightlifting exercises are the dead lift, shoulder press, and squat, and 7) Your Diet (the most important aspect of this training regime): a) eat lean meats (especially chicken) and fish, b) eat vegetables and nuts, c) very little in the way of carbs, and d) drink plenty of fluids which contain very little in the way of sugars (5 grams or less).

The bottom line is that you and only you know what's best for your body. Don't be afraid to listen to it, and occasionally push it to its limit. One other thing, if you're not sweating considerable during your workout, then you're not giving enough effort.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2011, 03:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
I'm not a doctor or a dietician, but what about adding back some healthy fats, like avocados, or salad dressing made with olive oil? Also, are you sure you're not having problems related to diverticulitis? If you are, the seeds and raw veggies may be aggravating it. You might mention it to you doctor.

But if I were you, I'd be seeking information from my doctor, or a hospital-based registered dietician about this. Your concerns are very specific and you're unlikely to find the information you need on the internet or from your trainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss