Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM

741 posts, read 1,680,483 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for all of the input and I am definitely going to start each day better than I did today
I wrote a list and am going shopping tomorrow for all of the things that everyone mentioned, Greek yogurt, slow cooking oatmeal (even though hubby bought a GIANT box of the sugary, instant oatmeal, which I cant handle sugar), whole grain bread, the Walden Farms dressing if I can find it, chicken breasts, and a bunch of fruits and veggies..
I have been eating irresponsibly for about a year now, ever since I put down ciggarettes for good, and have gained around 30 pounds..
Today my daughter asked me to start juicing again, and I told her that I dont have a juicer.. The kids had to find the juicer inside the pantry, which I had forgotten that I even own!

The empty stomach thing is what has shocked me the most today! I haven't allowed my stomach to growl for a year! lol
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,935 times
Why do people recommend eting chicken breasts? whats wrong with eating the thgh piece the breasts piece gets VERY dry.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the input and I am definitely going to start each day better than I did today
I wrote a list and am going shopping tomorrow for all of the things that everyone mentioned, Greek yogurt, slow cooking oatmeal (even though hubby bought a GIANT box of the sugary, instant oatmeal, which I cant handle sugar), whole grain bread, the Walden Farms dressing if I can find it, chicken breasts, and a bunch of fruits and veggies..
I have been eating irresponsibly for about a year now, ever since I put down ciggarettes for good, and have gained around 30 pounds..
Today my daughter asked me to start juicing again, and I told her that I dont have a juicer.. The kids had to find the juicer inside the pantry, which I had forgotten that I even own!

The empty stomach thing is what has shocked me the most today! I haven't allowed my stomach to growl for a year! lol
Thanks again!
It won't be in the dressing aisle - it's in the refrigerated section in the produce aisle - good luck!!! I love the Walden Farms dressing, some people say it takes getting used to but I thought it tasted good as soon as I tried it. I've had the Balsamic and Honey Dijon and really like both.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:23 AM

741 posts, read 1,680,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Why do people recommend eting chicken breasts? whats wrong with eating the thgh piece the breasts piece gets VERY dry.
Chicken breast-

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 22
Total Fat 2.5g
Saturated Fat 0.5g
Cholesterol 65mg
Sodium 180mg
Protein 23.0g

Chicken thigh-

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 36

Total Fat 4.0g
Saturated Fat 1.0g
Cholesterol 85mg
Sodium 250mg
Protein 20.0g

The breast is leaner and has a little bit more protein..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It won't be in the dressing aisle - it's in the refrigerated section in the produce aisle - good luck!!! I love the Walden Farms dressing, some people say it takes getting used to but I thought it tasted good as soon as I tried it. I've had the Balsamic and Honey Dijon and really like both.
Can't wait to try it!!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
You just need to get used to your new portion sizes. It takes a while, but you'll eventually look at people eating like you used to and wonder how they cram all that food down their throats.
Meanwhile, they'll be looking at you wondering how you can make it off so little food..

Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
This morning I decided that I am going back to eating super healthy..So, I had a yogurt, a big bowl of frozen veggies with nothing on it except a little pepper, a big bowl of romaine lettuce with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic, and now Im cooking some brown rice.. This was all between 7 am and 2:30 pm..
This seems like enough food, but my stomach hurts and I'm thinking it's because normally by now I would have had something BIG like a sandwich with meat and cheese, or leftovers, or something fattening...

Anyway, does anyone else's stomach feel like it is in severe starvation mode when they cut down on eating to lose a few pounds??
Despite what everyone tells me, I do not do well eating a little bit all day long. I feel very deprived and hungry and usually get *very* crabby because of it.

When I am dieting (as I am right now). I eat NOTHING all day, drink a ton of water, and then at dinner I pig out. It is very satisfying and I can deal with the hunger all day knowing that I will be able to eat as much as I want for dinner. The joy of this is that since I do not eat all day, I find that my capacity is much smaller and I am eating approximately 1/2 as much as I used to eat for dinner and I am feeling stuffed!

So far I've lost about 10 pounds over 2 weeks. I am happy with that because I don't want to lose weight too fast.

just my two cents

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,546,108 times
Quote:
This morning I decided that I am going back to eating super healthy..So, I had a yogurt, a big bowl of frozen veggies with nothing on it except a little pepper, a big bowl of romaine lettuce with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic, and now Im cooking some brown rice.. This was all between 7 am and 2:30 pm..
This seems like enough food, but my stomach hurts and I'm thinking it's because normally by now I would have had something BIG like a sandwich with meat and cheese, or leftovers, or something fattening...

Anyway, does anyone else's stomach feel like it is in severe starvation mode when they cut down on eating to lose a few pounds??
I once went a week without any food at all (not by choice) and I can assure you that the hunger pains will pass after about 48 hours. After that, you won't even have a desire to eat and may have to force yourself to eat something.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Despite what everyone tells me, I do not do well eating a little bit all day long. I feel very deprived and hungry and usually get *very* crabby because of it.

When I am dieting (as I am right now). I eat NOTHING all day, drink a ton of water, and then at dinner I pig out. It is very satisfying and I can deal with the hunger all day knowing that I will be able to eat as much as I want for dinner. The joy of this is that since I do not eat all day, I find that my capacity is much smaller and I am eating approximately 1/2 as much as I used to eat for dinner and I am feeling stuffed!

So far I've lost about 10 pounds over 2 weeks. I am happy with that because I don't want to lose weight too fast.

just my two cents

20yrsinBranson
This is a recipe for disaster. You will not be able to stay with the eating schedule. Your hunger after a small meal is psychological. Our stomachs are only so big. They key is to eat a small portion of food that will keep you full longer. Pigging out over one meal because you feel as if you are starving is messing with you big time. Please reconsider going to a more healthy plan. You will lose weight and you will keep it off. A diet is not something to go off and on. It is a way to learn how to eat properly that you never go off off. You just add in more healthy food after you hit your goal weight.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is a recipe for disaster. You will not be able to stay with the eating schedule. .
I beg your pardon? I some large, burly man with a mustache going to hold me down and force feed me? Odd, I have always been under the assumption that I am in control of my actions. In fact, I believe that I am 100 percent in control of every aspect of my life and I can CHOOSE to do anything I want to do, including maintaining any eating schedule I wish. So your statement that I "will not be able" to do this is absurd.

The objective is to lose weight without being miserable. I have found the solution for me. It certainly is not for everyone. I have attempted to "eat small sensible meals" throughout the day and it does not work for me. I am not happy with it. So instead, I will choose a program that I am happy with. Yes, it is very very difficult to not eat all day, but the prospect of a good meal is worth it. It gives me something to look forward to - a reward for not eating. I usually don't eat much until 4 pm anyway since I have no appetite before then, but with this plan I do not snack, which I was very guilty of previously (and this is what kept me 40 pounds overweight).

Once I have gotten the weight off I will probably have a light salad around 3pm to supplement my dinner, but I am very happy with this program whether or not you feel it is a "recipe for disaster" or not.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,415,796 times
I hate the first few days of getting back to healthy eating. It is so easy to get off track and so much more work to get back on track when it comes to healthy eating. Some day I will continue to stay on the healthy track.

Congrats on quitting smoking. That is huge. You have the willpower and you will get through your first few bad "hungry" days. It does get easier. Remind me of this when I start back eating well on Monday. I should be a bear on Tuesday and Wednesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss