Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
I'll try it! Thanks

I never tried coconut oil!! I was thinking of making some green juices..my daughter asked me to make some juices with Kale of all things lol (she is 11 and a health nut)
ty!!
Coconut oil is yummy. I can't eat dairy so it's my butter replacement. I like the nutiva brand the best.

That's great that your dd likes green juice. My dd looks at me in horror when I offer her some of my green smoothie. "Spinach? in a smoothie?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I once went a week without any food at all (not by choice) and I can assure you that the hunger pains will pass after about 48 hours. After that, you won't even have a desire to eat and may have to force yourself to eat something.
Yes, you will go into ketosis. But that can be hard on your organs and muscles - you need to really know what you are doing to even out glucose and the way fats are being burned in your body while you are on a ketogenic diet.

I don't usually use Wiki as a source, but in this case, I think they give a pretty good explanation of ketosis and ketogenic diets.

Ketogenic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I lost my weight after my son was born by using a ketogenic diet, but I was under a doc's supervision while on it. I successfully kept my weight off until I became menopausal.

Now I am facing the need to lose 35 lbs and contemplating a ketogenic diet again, but hesitating - b/c it was NOT easy to stick to it, even tho I did it successfully 25 years ago.

I really appreciate this thread b/c the suggestions that have been given for "filling" foods are wonderful - thank you all so much.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I agree with the moderately low-carb high protein idea. As long as it's moderate. Don't "eliminate" carbs and don't go nuts on proteins and fats. If you had a sectioned plate, you'd have a salad on the biggest portion. That salad would have almond slivers or roasted sunflower seeds and mesclun or other colorful greens, cherry or grape tomatos, a sprinkle of cheese, black pepper, and NOT bottled dressing. I don't care if it's Walden Farms or Whole Health Nirvana - it's a waste of money. If you're adding cheese, use olive oil and vinegar. If you're not using cheese, olive oil and lemon juice. Mince a half of a clove of garlic into the oil before you drizzle it over the salad and there's your dressing. Costs less than 3 cents per serving and you don't have to buy a new bottle every week. If you want more fat and protein, you can make tahini, which is sesame paste, lemon juice, garlic, and water to thin to a dressing-like consistency.

So that's the biggest portion of the plate.

The next biggest portion of the plate would be protein - your grilled or broiled meat/chicken/fish. You can toss that ON the salad, but it should take up the size of the second-biggest portion of that divided plate. If you're replacing meat/chicken/fish with non-meat, then it'd be your tofu or *unsweetened unsalted* peanutbutter (you don't need the sugar added, or the extra salt - it's exquisite exactly the way it comes right from the nut).

The smallest portion of the plate would be "one of each" of everything else: *one* slice of bread or *one* icecream-scoopful of rice/oatmeal, *one* pat of butter, *one* piece of fruit, *one* pinch of salt, *one* forkful of cheesecake or spoonful of ice cream for dessert.

In this way, you can have pretty much everything you enjoy eating. You'd just be eating it in healthier portions -and- proportions. Sure, you can have chocolate. A bite. Not a bar. If you lack the willpower to have only one square off a Hershey Bar, then you should not buy the bar at all. Instead, find a gourmet chocolatier and buy a single truffle for $2.50, and eat that instead. Your wallet will control your diet, if your mind is unable

Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Actually, the opposite is true. It's the harder cheeses that contain less (sometimes no) lactose.
I stand corrected. The aging process associated with most hard cheeses does reduce the lactose content. However, I probably wouldn't worry about eating any cheese as long as it doesn't have some type of sweet thing added to it.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, you will go into ketosis. But that can be hard on your organs and muscles - you need to really know what you are doing to even out glucose and the way fats are being burned in your body while you are on a ketogenic diet.
I've not noticed that. I've been pretty much ketogenic even while exercising 1 to 2 hours a day and haven't suffered any adverse effects on my strength or endurance. I have noticed a significant reduction in indigestion.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I agree with the moderately low-carb high protein idea. As long as it's moderate. Don't "eliminate" carbs and don't go nuts on proteins and fats. If you had a sectioned plate, you'd have a salad on the biggest portion. That salad would have almond slivers or roasted sunflower seeds and mesclun or other colorful greens, cherry or grape tomatos, a sprinkle of cheese, black pepper, and NOT bottled dressing. I don't care if it's Walden Farms or Whole Health Nirvana - it's a waste of money. If you're adding cheese, use olive oil and vinegar. If you're not using cheese, olive oil and lemon juice. Mince a half of a clove of garlic into the oil before you drizzle it over the salad and there's your dressing. Costs less than 3 cents per serving and you don't have to buy a new bottle every week. If you want more fat and protein, you can make tahini, which is sesame paste, lemon juice, garlic, and water to thin to a dressing-like consistency.

So that's the biggest portion of the plate.

The next biggest portion of the plate would be protein - your grilled or broiled meat/chicken/fish. You can toss that ON the salad, but it should take up the size of the second-biggest portion of that divided plate. If you're replacing meat/chicken/fish with non-meat, then it'd be your tofu or *unsweetened unsalted* peanutbutter (you don't need the sugar added, or the extra salt - it's exquisite exactly the way it comes right from the nut).

The smallest portion of the plate would be "one of each" of everything else: *one* slice of bread or *one* icecream-scoopful of rice/oatmeal, *one* pat of butter, *one* piece of fruit, *one* pinch of salt, *one* forkful of cheesecake or spoonful of ice cream for dessert.

In this way, you can have pretty much everything you enjoy eating. You'd just be eating it in healthier portions -and- proportions. Sure, you can have chocolate. A bite. Not a bar. If you lack the willpower to have only one square off a Hershey Bar, then you should not buy the bar at all. Instead, find a gourmet chocolatier and buy a single truffle for $2.50, and eat that instead. Your wallet will control your diet, if your mind is unable
This definitely sounds like a very healthy way to eat..Moderation is key here
I ended up eating a can of sardines packed in water for breakfast today ..I won't do that very often though..I was in a hurry and didn't feel like cooking anything..

Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Quote:
This definitely sounds like a very healthy way to eat..Moderation is key here
I ended up eating a can of sardines packed in water for breakfast today ..I won't do that very often though..I was in a hurry and didn't feel like cooking anything..
I think that's where a Lean Cuisine comes in handy. Unprocessed food is better, of course, but the numbers on them are mostly pretty good, and mornings really can be a rough time to prepare anything, unless you can reheat something you prepared the night before. I'm not above eating leftovers for breakfast. And since you had sardines, I assume you share my unprejudiced attitude toward what foods are "breakfast" foods. (I don't even like most traditional breakfast food.)

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I think that's where a Lean Cuisine comes in handy. Unprocessed food is better, of course, but the numbers on them are mostly pretty good, and mornings really can be a rough time to prepare anything, unless you can reheat something you prepared the night before. I'm not above eating leftovers for breakfast. And since you had sardines, I assume you share my unprejudiced attitude toward what foods are "breakfast" foods. (I don't even like most traditional breakfast food.)
I have eaten a LOT of processed foods this last year..it got so ugly that I was going to Costco and walking out with a huge cart full of Lean cuisines, orange chicken, frozen pizzas, frozen chimichangas, frozen chicken nuggets, etc etc..I have just given up processed food for my household, I had to put a stop to it.. I'm not good at moderation, like an occassional Lean Cuisine, so I just nipped the habit in the bud..

I have always preferred non-breakfast foods also, unless it was breakfast for dinner LOL
Anyway, the bottom line is feeling good inside and out and thats what I'm trying to accomplish and I noticed that a LOT of people are doing the same thing which is awesome!!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I have eaten a LOT of processed foods this last year..it got so ugly that I was going to Costco and walking out with a huge cart full of Lean cuisines, orange chicken, frozen pizzas, frozen chimichangas, frozen chicken nuggets, etc etc..I have just given up processed food for my household, I had to put a stop to it.. I'm not good at moderation, like an occassional Lean Cuisine, so I just nipped the habit in the bud..

I have always preferred non-breakfast foods also, unless it was breakfast for dinner LOL
Anyway, the bottom line is feeling good inside and out and thats what I'm trying to accomplish and I noticed that a LOT of people are doing the same thing which is awesome!!
I think the key to my weight loss was eating next to no processed or restaurant foods. It does take time to prepare three meals a day from scratch but for me it's worth it. However, if you practice you can throw stuff together pretty quickly. I eat a full breakfast every day. While losing I shot for about 1,500 - 2,000 calories consumed per day and a burn rate of about 3,000. That enabled me to drop 2-3 pounds a week.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
This is a great attitude! It's my goal too - and if you are overweight, the weight will come off as a -side effect- of getting fit. If you were morbidly obese to the point of having heart problems etc..then yeah, the immediate goal would be to shed weight quickly, and THEN once your heart has stabilized (or at least you're out of danger of a stroke in the morning) you'd start working on getting fit.

But if you're just generally out of shape, flabby, your twin chins are gossipping to each other, your thighs are inseparable, and your belly rolls have caught attention of the Pillsbury company marketing team, then the first priority should be getting fit. The weight loss will come as a natural progression of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss