Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,172 times

Advertisements

I have never really cared for Laughing Cow cheese. My ultimate favorite would have to be imported Irish cheddar, and then any cheese that smells really strong is my ultimate second !
Once again, TJ's has the best selection and prices for a true cheese lover!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Sounds good, except the government and other nutritionists are recommending more monounsaturated oils, not the ones that are more polyunsaturated like corn oil.

Mono-saturated oils are the best but a little saturated fat is fine. The fats to stay away from are the trans fats that are in processed foods.
Fats are the secret weapon to succeeding while dieting. They make you feel full and satisfied. You can go from one meal to the next without feeling like you are starving. You only need a little.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 AM

577 posts, read 900,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is a recipe for disaster. You will not be able to stay with the eating schedule. Your hunger after a small meal is psychological. Our stomachs are only so big. They key is to eat a small portion of food that will keep you full longer. Pigging out over one meal because you feel as if you are starving is messing with you big time. Please reconsider going to a more healthy plan. You will lose weight and you will keep it off. A diet is not something to go off and on. It is a way to learn how to eat properly that you never go off off. You just add in more healthy food after you hit your goal weight.
Actually I don't think what she's doing is necessarily bad, as she pointed out she now eats half of what she used to. I am a night eater myself and while I don't fast during the day, I might as well, since my hunger increases tremendously at night regardless of how I've eaten during the day. There are some religions that practice daytime fasting (muslims for ramadan and some buddhist monks only eat once a day) so it's been part of human history for a long time.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But if you're just generally out of shape, flabby, your twin chins are gossipping to each other, your thighs are inseparable, and your belly rolls have caught attention of the Pillsbury company marketing team, then the first priority should be getting fit. The weight loss will come as a natural progression of that.
Wow..that was quite descriptive, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Laughing Cow is - not really cheese. If you read the description it's called a processed cheese product, or something of that ilk. It has some of the ingredients that cheese has - all processed up with artificial this that and the other thing in such a way that it isn't legally allowed to be called cheese anymore.

That said, it's addictive and I love the original, which unfortunately isn't "light." So I rarely have Laughing Cow, because it's just way too easy for me to eat three of those wedges in a single sitting.
I love Laughing Cow. I buy the Original flavor but the light version. I like it plain, melted in an omelet or on veggies, mixed with rice and salsa, or spread in a celery stick.

I don't care for cheese sticks. They are too mild for me. I would rather measure out a serving of some really sharp cheddar and have that with an apple Enjoy the real stuff in moderation

Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I love saturated fats. Yeah, check your cholesterol levels, or better yet your heart health, and I'll bet you see little difference either way. The government is under tremendous pressure by the ag lobby to promote oils made from things like corn, rapeseed and soy. The saturated fats boogeyman is one more way they do that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Yeah, check your cholesterol levels, or better yet your heart health, and I'll bet you see little difference either way."

Given that my relative is an MD PhD from Johns Hopkins in Cardiology, and is renowned as a researcher in healthy eating (for things like cholesterol etc)... I can give you his number and you can argue with him about it.

The good news is that people who love saturated fats are helping our society, as it ultimately reduces the burden on Social Security. (Smoking and obesity help too).

Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Yeah, check your cholesterol levels, or better yet your heart health, and I'll bet you see little difference either way."

Given that my relative is an MD PhD from Johns Hopkins in Cardiology, and is renowned as a researcher in healthy eating (for things like cholesterol etc)... I can give you his number and you can argue with him about it.

The good news is that people who love saturated fats are helping our society, as it ultimately reduces the burden on Social Security. (Smoking and obesity help too).
I don't smoke, am not overweight, don't eat much sugar, and exercise almost every day. I have to allow myself one vice besides one or two glasses of red wine.

I'll bet if you press your relative he'll admit that most heart cases he's encountered were sedentary folks who were overweight and/or smokers. Or they were just plain old. Think about it - most people if they're lucky die of heart failure. Saturated fat consumption was probably way down the list of contributing factors.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't smoke, am not overweight, don't eat much sugar, and exercise almost every day. I have to allow myself one vice besides one or two glasses of red wine.

I'll bet if you press your relative he'll admit that most heart cases he's encountered were sedentary folks who were overweight and/or smokers. Or they were just plain old. Think about it - most people if they're lucky die of heart failure. Saturated fat consumption was probably way down the list of contributing factors.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend you start reading JAMA and the Harvard publications, along with about 20 other sources...

I didn't say anything about heart failure.

Too much cholesterol leads to plaque build-up, tand hen you either occlude a vessel, or throw a clot.

Quote:"Saturated fat consumption was probably way down the list of contributing factors"

I was only talking about consumption of certain foods that can lead to premature death.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
Actually I don't think what she's doing is necessarily bad, as she pointed out she now eats half of what she used to. I am a night eater myself and while I don't fast during the day, I might as well, since my hunger increases tremendously at night regardless of how I've eaten during the day. There are some religions that practice daytime fasting (muslims for ramadan and some buddhist monks only eat once a day) so it's been part of human history for a long time.

Thats true and if it works for her fine. I shouldn't have been so hard on her and for that I apologize. But what works for her will more than likely not work for most other folks. And it is just not good to eat a lot at one sitting. I think we can all agree that more smaller meals throughout the day is the ideal.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Just give the new portions time and you'll get used to it. You'll go from "how can I live off that?" with your new portion sizes to "How can people be such pigs" when you see people eat "normal".

Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend you start reading JAMA and the Harvard publications, along with about 20 other sources...

I didn't say anything about heart failure.

Too much cholesterol leads to plaque build-up, tand hen you either occlude a vessel, or throw a clot.

Quote:"Saturated fat consumption was probably way down the list of contributing factors"

I was only talking about consumption of certain foods that can lead to premature death.
The link between types of foods consumed, cholestrol levels, and plaque buildup is still pretty weak. Seems to have more to do with liver function and genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss