Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM

741 posts, read 1,680,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Just give the new portions time and you'll get used to it. You'll go from "how can I live off that?" with your new portion sizes to "How can people be such pigs" when you see people eat "normal".

I can tell that my stomach is getting used to it finally !! It's only been 3 or 4 days but I changed my eating habits DRASTICALLY..and the human body never ceases to amaze me at how quickly it can adapt! That first day was hell.. But that is because I literally didn't stop eating for a whole year--and luckily, I only gained 30 pounds, but I do workout so thats probably why I didnt gain more.. But I am feeling so much better and really liked all of the tips from everyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,975,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
12 hours into my diet and DIEing of hunger.

Anyway, does anyone else's stomach feel like it is in severe starvation mode when they cut down on eating to lose a few pounds??
Wow. Only 12 hours in and you are already have difficulty?

I suggest picking up a couple of books on NUTRITION and starting from there. Dont just start trying to "eat right to lose a few pounds" because you'll never succeed and, you'll be unhappy just like you are now.

Once you learn proper nutrition and how to eat properly, you'll almost never feel the "stomach feel like it is in severe starvation mode" after only 12 hours.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
I finish dinner by 6 almost every night.
I get up at 7 every morning.
I don't have breakfast until around 8, and that's usually just a single egg or half a cup of oatmeal with raisins (depends on my mood).
I don't eat again until around 11 or noon.
After my morning coffee, the only thing I drink most of the day is water.

So I go from 6pm til noon the next day, on just a palmful of food.
That's 18 hours. I -am- trying to cut down on starches, carbs, and sodium, and I -am- trying to get fit with exercise. I am also overweight and expect that to resolve itself in the process of getting healthier.

I rarely feel like I'm starving. I have blood sugar dips when I'm hungry and know to eat some kind of carbs to boost it back up to normal, or else I feel sick. But a single saltine, or a single piece of bread, or even a single Reese's peanutbutter mini is enough to keep the headaches and sweats at bay, until mealtime.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

I suggest picking up a couple of books on NUTRITION and starting from there. Dont just start trying to "eat right to lose a few pounds" because you'll never succeed and, you'll be unhappy just like you are now.

Once you learn proper nutrition and how to eat properly, you'll almost never feel the "stomach feel like it is in severe starvation mode" after only 12 hours.
I was actually in a dietetic program in college 2 years ago...I have taken MANY college classes in nutrition, and have a vast knowledge of nutrition.. What my brain knows and what my stomach was saying the other day are two very different things.. But thanks anyway LOL

Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Oh and I am happier than most people..who said I was unhappy? MY STOMACH hurt the first day of my new eating regimen but that nothing to do with my happiness !!

But, again, thanks for the input ~~lmao

Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Coconut oil? You must love highly saturated fats. Eight government organizations recommend against the use of any significant amounts of it.

(Palm oil, Palm kernel oil and coconut oil are the big three in terms of highly saturated vegetable fats).

Check your cholesterol levels often.
There is a plethora of peer reviewed information available regarding the benefits of using organic virgin coconut oil both internally and externally.

This site contains a few medical research links to start with.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org...h%20Center.pdf

For years, researchers have been advising people to keep saturated fat consumption to a minimum—which would mean avoiding coconut oil, even the virgin kind, which is about 92 percent saturated fat. But the fatty acids in coconut oil are primarily medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are shorter than the long-chain triglycerides found in other fats and oils. MCTs are more easily metabolized by the body, which is why they're found in infant formulas and used to nourish hospital patients.

Evidence shows that virgin coconut oil either doesn't raise cholesterol or primarily raises HDL, the good cholesterol, thus improving the all-important ratio of good cholesterol to the bad kind.

Coconut oil does not deserve a bad reputation.

And on the subject of diets...

Eat less than 1,200 calories a day, and your body is liable to go into "starvation mode" in which it will stubbornly cling to every fat molecule on your body. Oh, you'll eventually lose weight, but it will be primarily from muscle because your body, fearing starvation, will hold onto your fat out of sheer self defense.

If you exercise, make sure that you eat back enough of your calories to hit that magic 1,200 calorie mark.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:00 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,505,077 times
I've been having a heck of a time getting back to eating right after the holidays. I do good till 4 or 5, then I find myself sitting somewhere with half a box of crackers or half a bag of chocolate chips and I have no memory of what happened to the other half. Yes, those kind of cravings where you know you should not be eating junk but just can't stop yourself.

I finally bought some Honeyville Farms Oat Fiber and I swear, it's a miracle. I have 10 grams for breakfast usually mixed in with a couple scrambled eggs, and then another 10 grams mid to late afternoon either mixed into low carb yogurt or a protein drink. I swear to you I have had no cravings in a couple of weeks.

However, there were a couple days I didn't get around to the morning fiber, and I did feel a small craving twitch late afternoon, but it was not bad enough to send me scavenging the cupboards like a raving out of control lunatic for anything carby I could find.

Morning fiber seems to be the magic wand for me. Good luck to you.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM

20,943 posts, read 28,459,867 times
I take a dannon light yogurt and put into a small bowl, I top it with sliced bananna and 1/3 cup of honey bunches of oats cereal with almonds. Keeps me full till noon and I eat breakfast at 7 am mnoday through friday. I am on weight watchers and you have to have a balanced meal everyday. Too many carbs in the day will leave you starving and with no energy at the end of the day. I give my DH one those Jiff PB single cups and crackers with his lunch for work so he has something to snack on later in the day. He works 10 hr days with no real lunch break and he says the PB helps. Having PB with apple or celery and a handful of raisins is good too. I find that if I drink alot of water before each meal I not as hungry. I have lost 48 lbs so far. Once your stomach gets used to eating less and you loose weight it shrinks. Eating protein during the day also helps, like cheese, yogurt, chicken, tuna fish, cottage cheese. When I first started to loose weight I felt the hunger too, it takes time for your body to adjust to the changes, but in the end the weight loss is a reward.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
OP - my advice is: stay away from the carbs as much as possible right now. That'll help with the cravings. Really read the labels on your packaged food. Even high protein yogurt can have quite a few carbs in it, so be careful.

Today I've had two wedges of laughing cow cheese (70 cal) and a can of albacore tuna packed in water for lunch. Breakfast was an egg white omelet w/spinach and mushrooms. Tonight I'm having grilled chicken and several types of veggies (cauliflower, broccoli and a garden salad with no dressing).

My goal is to drop 5 or so (10 would be awesome) pounds fairly fast. That should help to make exercise a whole lot more fun. Once I'm getting some good work outs in again, I can splurge on some carbs.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Did I miss the funeral? Is there a funeral after-party at least?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss