Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,297 times

Advertisements

This morning I decided that I am going back to eating super healthy..So, I had a yogurt, a big bowl of frozen veggies with nothing on it except a little pepper, a big bowl of romaine lettuce with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic, and now Im cooking some brown rice.. This was all between 7 am and 2:30 pm..
This seems like enough food, but my stomach hurts and I'm thinking it's because normally by now I would have had something BIG like a sandwich with meat and cheese, or leftovers, or something fattening...

Anyway, does anyone else's stomach feel like it is in severe starvation mode when they cut down on eating to lose a few pounds??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Sounds like you need to be adding more protein into your diet. Have a grilled chicken breast with your veggies, put a hard-boiled egg on your salad, eat a handful of almonds as a snack, etc.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-01-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
This morning I decided that I am going back to eating super healthy..So, I had a yogurt, a big bowl of frozen veggies with nothing on it except a little pepper, a big bowl of romaine lettuce with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic, and now Im cooking some brown rice.. This was all between 7 am and 2:30 pm..
This seems like enough food, but my stomach hurts and I'm thinking it's because normally by now I would have had something BIG like a sandwich with meat and cheese, or leftovers, or something fattening...

Anyway, does anyone else's stomach feel like it is in severe starvation mode when they cut down on eating to lose a few pounds??
Yes and I still have problems when I eat healthy. I am just ALWAYS hungry and have had countless headaches. I don't see how people do it? DO they just ignore the hunger feeling?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
Depending on the type of yogurt, and not counting the brown rice since you hadn't eaten it as of feeling starving, that's only about 300 calories. 1 cup of yogurt is about 100, olive oil is 110 per tbs, and veggies are negligible. But yes, if you're used to eating a lot whenever you have the slightest inclination, eating light and eating better is going to take some getting used to.

fleetibelle is correct that protein staves of hunger. You could have had 3 eggs for the amount of calories in your olive oil and chances are you would have felt stuffed. Frittatas are great, I make them baked in the oven with no stick spray instead of oil, with lots of veggies.

You should eat at least 1200 calories a day, if not more, depending on your activity level.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 PM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Yes and I still have problems when I eat healthy. I am just ALWAYS hungry and have had countless headaches. I don't see how people do it? DO they just ignore the hunger feeling?
I had to experiment to find foods that left me feeling full. There have been studies gauging the "fulness factor" of different kinds of foods, and proteins always come out on top, leaving people feeling full longer. Second to protein are fats, and second to fats are carbs. Unfortunately for me my favorite foods are all carbs and I don't really like meat. But if can manage to stomach some meat and eggs, and I pace my eating throughout the day, I can get by without much hunger.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
I'm no expert...the comments below are things that I've learned and that work for me. Many people will tell you to go visit a doctor first to get orientation. I agree. Not all dieters have the same needs, etc.

For me it has been staying away from sugar as much as possible, especially in breakfast. I know it's hard! Sometimes the yogurt include a bunch of sugar instead of the protein we need. Start with eggs or even better egg whites. Keep lots of vegetables in your fridge - most of the green ones, a few tomatoes. Romaine lettuce or Spinach will have more nutrients that iceberg. Try to stay away from anything white - white rice, white bread, white pasta. Balsamic vinegar dressing has sugar in it...try to do a bit of olive oil and white vinegar instead. Or get Walden Farms brand dressings - which are sugar & fat free. The taste is pretty good. Also, use sea salt to season your meats and other foods. Take multi vitamins, Omega 3, Cal/Mag & Potassium supplements.

If you like noodles, trick your body with Miracle Noodles. You can cut and steam vegetables and eat them with the noodles, which are fat, gluten and sugar free. I have to be honest, the noodles are not my favorite but with a little bit of vegetables mixed in fill me up until my next meal.

Drink lots of water. Some people say 1/2 of your weight in ounces...but I think the "rule" is at least 64 oz a day. If you have or get an 18oz reusable water bottle (Thermos, Klean Kanteen, etc)...it's about 3 of those per day.

Plan ahead! If you go out of town or work outside the home plan meals and what menus will be available to you so that you're not all of the suddent super hungry and grabbing the first junk food that shows up in front of you. EAS brand of protein bars and shakes are pretty good - they have a Carb control kind that is always good to carry in your bag. Better to eat a protein bar with water than eating sugar & fat filled foods. I'm laughing as I'm writing this because to me is a daily struggle...easier to write than to do.

Walk or exercise. If you haven't done any workouts recently, start slow...give yourself realistic small goals. Increase lenght and instensity once previous level is comfortable. Your body will burn more if you surprise it with changes in routine.

Keep a food log. Another one that it's hard for me but it's really good overall. You don't realize all the food we are consuming until you see it written down.

Drinks - avoid alcoholic drinks. Avoid sodas and juices. If you drink Soda, go for zero calorie ones. Even then, there are some articles that one of the ingridients - aspartame - will actually slow down your metabolism and prevent you from losing weight. I do have an ocassional soda, but try to drink sparkling water instead to get the bubbly. If you drink juice, try to go for something like V8 or Tomato Juice or consider mixing juice with water.

Good luck! Take one day at a time!!! If a day is not so great, don't look back - keep on with your plan and you will see results.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post

Always 30 grams of protein within an hour of waking up. Lots of fibrous, slow absorption food like oatmeal too.

You'll feel better.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
A bowl of oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter in it is a good breakfast that keeps you full for a long time.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
More protein. Greek yougart instead of regular. Drink plenty of water. And stay busy, try and keep your mind off foiod if possible.

When I diet I have to avoid certain activites - like watching tv/movies

Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
You are not eating enough! Of course you are starving.
Shoot for about 300 calories for breakfast and make sure there is protein in it.
Have a piece of fruit before lunch like and apple or an orange or even a small banana.
For lunch make sure to include lean protein along with veggies and whole grains. Make sure to add some good fats, they are the key to keeping hunger at bay.
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain is a great quick fix meal.
A small amount of nuts for a snack in the afternoon and then a healthy dinner.
Do not let more than 3 hours go by without a snack or meal of some kind. Also drink tons of water. It will help you feel full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss