Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 05:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would cut the oatmeal, as I see it, you are carb loading. Have an egg white omellette with veggies, green pepper, tomatoes, onion, spinach on alternating days, and increase your protien, and veg servings. Add a salad at lunch, with tuna, or other lean protien, I don't see enough servings of vegetables or fruit in your diet, but lots of carbs.
Inadvisable. Going low fat and low carb together is a recipe for failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,989,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
thanks for the encouragement.

Just to clarify, I thought the BMR is the amount of calories the body burns per day regardless, so I need to at least eat up to the BMR. Or am I misunderstanding?
BMR is the amount of calories you burn each day if you were to spend the entire day in bed.

So BMR can be used as a starting point for your diet, since it is unique to you based on your own sex/weight/height/age.

To lose weight, you need to consume less calories than you burn each day.

Using your BMR, you know you will always burn at least 1610 calories each day, regardless of what other activities and exercise you do that day.

So if you begin to eat less than the 1610 calories, you will also begin to lose weight.

A few nutrition books I read recommended eating approximately 10 x your "desired weight" in calories while you are dieting.

So if your goal was to weigh 140lbs, you would want to eat approximately 10 x 140 = 1400 calories per day.

Then once you've achieved your goal weight, then you would raise your calories back up to maintain your new weight.

To figure this number, take your BMR calories, and add to it calories burned for all your days normal activities. Then that would be the number you'd want to eat on a regular basis after you've reached your goal weight.

Personally, I just check my scale each day, to make sure I'm not gaining or losing any significant weight. I no longer count my calories, but I do continue to eat only healthy food in moderate sized portions.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Again - the OP is NOT trying to lose weight.

He's trying to MAINTAIN his current weight, and he is having problems eating ENOUGH calories to do that. He's asking for advice on what kinds of -healthy- food choices he should ADD to his current menu.

Am I really the only one who got that?

OP - add proteins, -small- amounts of healthy fats (like fish, olive oil in your sauces, hummus, avocados if you like them, nut butters). You should also be eating more *fresh* vegetables as someone else recommended. Fresh doesn't necessarily mean raw, but it does mean not canned, not pre-packaged frozen.

Another recipe - a side dish you can mix in with your chicken meal instead of a sauce if you want to mix it up:

Par-fry the chicken in olive oil until it's almost cooked. Lower the heat, add a couple healthy fistsful of fresh, rinsed, and -towel/air-dried- spinach leaves to the pan, stirring briskly. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a minced garlic clove just before it's ready to serve.

Dump over that pasta and enjoy.

*Make sure the spinach doesn't have much water on it or it'll splatter in the oil and burn you.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Again - the OP is NOT trying to lose weight.

He's trying to MAINTAIN his current weight, and he is having problems eating ENOUGH calories to do that. He's asking for advice on what kinds of -healthy- food choices he should ADD to his current menu.

Am I really the only one who got that?

OP - add proteins, -small- amounts of healthy fats (like fish, olive oil in your sauces, hummus, avocados if you like them, nut butters). You should also be eating more *fresh* vegetables as someone else recommended. Fresh doesn't necessarily mean raw, but it does mean not canned, not pre-packaged frozen.

Another recipe - a side dish you can mix in with your chicken meal instead of a sauce if you want to mix it up:

Par-fry the chicken in olive oil until it's almost cooked. Lower the heat, add a couple healthy fistsful of fresh, rinsed, and -towel/air-dried- spinach leaves to the pan, stirring briskly. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a minced garlic clove just before it's ready to serve.

Dump over that pasta and enjoy.

*Make sure the spinach doesn't have much water on it or it'll splatter in the oil and burn you.
Try re-reading his OP yourself !!!

Quote:
My goal is eat healthier, and also try to lose the belly with exercise.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,941 times
I didn't read all the posts but I did read yours.

I would:
increase vegetables & fruits
make sure the peanut butter has no hydrogenated oils
put freshly ground flaxseed meal in that oatmeal
add olive oil to a salad
add salmon to the mix
give up the beer if appropriate

Have fun!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:04 PM

I did read it. He is trying to eat healthier. He is also trying to lose his belly with exercise. He also is having trouble eating enough calories.

A person can be the perfect weight, and still have belly flab that can be exercised off. Dieting will just put him UNDER his desired weight, and will -not- eliminate the belly. He will tighten his abs with exercise. He will eat healthier, without losing any more weight (which, by reading his post, he implies that he has already previously lost).

Losing belly != losing weight.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
To lose the belly fat, he needs to eat more protein, more veggies, more fruit. Same calories, but not the bread/oatmeal/pasta.

He needs to work on his core, doing yoga, and crunches, weight lifting.

"Body for Life"...get the book.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I did read it. He is trying to eat healthier. He is also trying to lose his belly with exercise. He also is having trouble eating enough calories.

A person can be the perfect weight, and still have belly flab that can be exercised off. Dieting will just put him UNDER his desired weight, and will -not- eliminate the belly. He will tighten his abs with exercise. He will eat healthier, without losing any more weight (which, by reading his post, he implies that he has already previously lost).

Losing belly != losing weight.
The OP never stated he is at his desired weight. Show me where he ever stated that?

He DID state that he wants to lose his belly.

And to do that ... he needs to lose body fat!

A male at 5'4" ... 148lbs is considered overweight.

Here is a random website I found to show you ideal weights for men:

Ideal Weight - Ideal Body Weight

Quote:
Results:
According to your height of 5' 4" your ideal healthy weight is 130 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 116 and 145 pounds.
This was calculated using Hamwi formula, a simple formula commonly used by many clinicians.
Unless he ALSO plans to increase his muscle size ... he needs to LOSE WEIGHT to lose his belly.

And the OP never mentioned anything about wanting to increase his muscle size.

Once again ... from the OP's own mouth ....

Quote:

Old 12-26-2011, 04:21 AM

8 posts, read 34,984 times
heating a nut is never the way to go. Dry roasted peanuts may have been harmed by the heating process. Raw is always better with nuts.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
Clue #1: He doesn't say "my goal is to lose weight" or "consume less" or "lose the belly with diet."
Quote:
I tried doing one serving of each for a whole day, and I couldn't get to my 1600 calories, so it sounds like I need to eat more. Can I just simply increase the portions? Do the foods seem like a good balance of protein and carbs? I"m thinking of increasing the oatmeal and the turkey/veggies/pasta. Maybe peanut butter too.

Thoughts?
Clue #2: That entire paragraph indicates that he is concerned he isn't eating enough calories, that he feels he should eat more, to get "to" his 1600 calories.

Conclusion:
He is at the weight he desires to be but wants to tighten his abdominals with exercise, and he wants to maintain his current weight with healthier foods.

Since we don't know what kind of exercise he's doing, or the size of his portions of food, we don't know whether or not to recommend decreasing carbs. I don't recommend adding more, however I do recommend making those choices more nutritious with the addition of fruits/veggies/good fats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss