Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,555,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't wean. Go cold turkey. It's easier on your head and your body. If sweet potatoes and squash and other (very) complex carbs satisfy you, by all means eat them. If you need energy late in the day, eat high quality proteins throughout the day to keep up your stamina.
Yes, this. You'll have an unpleasant week or two, but then you'll be good to go for the rest of your life. You'll be able to walk by a pastry bar with nary a twinge of craving or regret.
Do not, under any circumstance, start using products made with sugar substitutes. They'll just make you continue to crave sweets. Cut way way back on sweet fruits like pineapple and grapes.

Read nutritional labels before you buy anything. Repeat: read nutritional labels, read nutritional labels, read nutritional labels. Do not take anything to checkout before reading the nutrition label. Raisin bran and many cereals, most whole-wheat breads, fruit-flavored yogurt - all are high in sugars. My personal benchmark is 3 gm of sugar per serving. If it's over that, I put it back on the shelf.

I was cursed with a lifelong sweet tooth, but went cold turkey some years ago and now I can look at a cheesecake or doughnut or bag of M&M's in the same way I can look at a cute puppy or kitten or toddler: I admire it for what it is without having the least desire to take it home. It can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,004,833 times
If you are craving sweets trying eating more fruit. They are naturally sweet and the sugar in fruit does not convert to extra weight on your body .

Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
All or nothing hardly works for most people. Some people simply cannot face a life without some sweets in them. Fruit is a great idea. A small tile of dark chocolate, a 100 calorie ice-cream, yogurt with honey and fruit. Those will satisfy a sweet tooth without having to commit to never eating sugar again.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,555,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
All or nothing hardly works for most people. Some people simply cannot face a life without some sweets in them. Fruit is a great idea. A small tile of dark chocolate, a 100 calorie ice-cream, yogurt with honey and fruit. Those will satisfy a sweet tooth without having to commit to never eating sugar again.
You might be surprised re how many people do fine without any sugar at all. Including many diabetics who prefer to do without rather than ingest fake sweeteners.

Sugar-free dark chocolate is one of my favorite indulgences. Some processors add artificial sweeteners to it, which is ok with me if the chocolate is of good quality.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You might be surprised re how many people do fine without any sugar at all. Including many diabetics who prefer to do without rather than ingest fake sweeteners.

Sugar-free dark chocolate is one of my favorite indulgences. Some processors add artificial sweeteners to it, which is ok with me if the chocolate is of good quality.
Sugar free will never work for me but I do not care because I am where I want to be. I lost weight eating small amounts of sugar and I still treat myself every now and again. I do not believe in the all or nothing approach. It is a recipe for failure for 99% of people. It is admiral that you can do it. But it is very unrealistic for most folks. And its unnecessary unless of course a person is a diabetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss