Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have tips. I am looking to lose a good amount of weight (no specific number, but over 30).

Here's my problem, I am a foodie. I care about what's in it. I don't eat much packaged food. I like to cook most of my meals, and typically buy local or organic ingredients. My groceries are from the local produce mart, the farmers market, whole foods and trader joes. I go to a mainstream grocery store 1X every few months.

I get occasional fried chicken cravings and I find that too much to make at home. I also am easily tempted by homemade or housemade pastries. And lately empanadas.

So for you other foodies: what worked for you to take off a few pounds -- without resorting to the packaged plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,138,608 times
eating less and moving more has always worked for me.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 AM

21,009 posts, read 28,615,323 times
Weight watchers points plus program, I am on it and have lost 41.4 lbs so far. I cook all my own meals and get recipe ideas from the website. I have the montly pass whis is $39.95 a month and they don't charge for missed meetings. The website is very easy to navigate abd the program works if you stick to it.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 AM

42,069 posts, read 75,545,470 times
Cooking whole foods for yourself is half the battle; you don't have to be a "foodie" () to do so and to appreciate what's going into your body.

The trick is to find which foods keep you satisfied with less. I'm probably safe in saying that fried chicken -- no matter where you get it -- and pastries aren't the trick.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,349,231 times
I found Atkins to be a cook's dream and quite effective. You can make a lot of good stuff with butter, cheese, eggs, meat, nuts and vegetables. You can even have fried chicken as long as you don't coat it with heavy carbs (I used almond flour instead). The only thing I really missed were sweet desserts but I got used to it.

Mark Bittman, Mr. Premier Foodie, lost a lot of weight on a low carb diet while maintaining his high culinary standards and wrote quite a bit about it. You might want to look that up.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,962 times
Being a 'foodie' means you have an advantage. If you like to cook stick with whole fresh foods you can come up with hundreds of delicious, healthy meals. My husband and I love to cook and the real key is to buy the best ingredients you can. Also stay away from butter, creams, and simple carbs. Be sure to eat good fats such as olive oil, avocado and nuts, and other mono-saturated fats. Salmon is a power house of good fats and nutrition.
Oven fried chicken is easy and healthy and a fraction of the fat and calories of real fried chicken.
And for goodness sake stay away from any form of pastry. Talk about wasted calories.
I agree that Weight Watchers is a great way to get started. They have the most sensible way to eat and they also have wonderful cook books.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I found Atkins to be a cook's dream and quite effective. You can make a lot of good stuff with butter, cheese, eggs, meat, nuts and vegetables. You can even have fried chicken as long as you don't coat it with heavy carbs (I used almond flour instead). The only thing I really missed were sweet desserts but I got used to it.

Mark Bittman, Mr. Premier Foodie, lost a lot of weight on a low carb diet while maintaining his high culinary standards and wrote quite a bit about it. You might want to look that up.
Atkins is not for everyone. also the weight may come off fast but it goes right back on. At least with weight watchers you get a balance of carbs, proteins, whole grains ect and you can maintain your weight better. You need to have some carbs in your diet. I did atkins once and I did not like all the high fat foods they make you eat. plus on WW you are not denied anything. When I did atkins I can remember going out to breakfast at a bagel store and looking upset because I could not have a bagel, I ended up with a cheese omelette. At least with WW I can still have my bagel and still loose weight. I also don't like that on atkins they tell you to use heavy cream in your coffee, too rich for my taste.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Atkins is not for everyone and I know someone who was on it and they got sick, also the weight may come off fast but it goes right back on. At least with weight watchers you get a balance of carbs, proteins, whole grains ect and you can maintain your weight better. You need to have some carbs in your diet. I did atkins once and I did not like all the high fat foods they make you eat.
I agree. Atkins is not for everyone. For some it works great. But it is very restrictive and all that saturated fat is not good for anyone. It is an extremely hard plan to stay on for any real length of time. But again, some have embraced it and it works for them. It is absolutely a disaster of a plan to go on and off and back on. You have to commit right off the bat for the long haul.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I agree. Atkins is not for everyone. For some it works great. But it is very restrictive and all that saturated fat is not good for anyone. It is an extremely hard plan to stay on for any real length of time. But again, some have embraced it and it works for them. It is absolutely a disaster of a plan to go on and off and back on. You have to commit right off the bat for the long haul.
Yep, I totally agree

Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,349,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Atkins is not for everyone and I know someone who was on it and they got sick, also the weight may come off fast but it goes right back on. At least with weight watchers you get a balance of carbs, proteins, whole grains ect and you can maintain your weight better. You need to have some carbs in your diet. I did atkins once and I did not like all the high fat foods they make you eat.
There's nothing about Atkins that says you can't eat carbs. It's "controlled carb" not "no carb". If someone you know got sick they were probably doing it wrong and eating a bunch of artificial crap just because it didn't have any carbs. I control my carbs but still eat plenty of them (mainly from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains). Most people would do better over the long run by upping the fat and protein and cutting back on starch and sugar. It's when they revert back to eating the too much of the latter that they put the weight back on.

It is more difficult to stick with if you're not a pretty good cook. However, I don't have that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss