Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have tried diet, exercise, supplements to no effect. I have also tried just about every statin on the market. Although the statins DID lower my LDL significantly, it wasn't worth the side effects of chronic muscle pain. Doctors seem to think living with muscle pain is an acceptable trade off for desired cholesterol numbers. I disagree. Muscle pain is the body's way of saying something is wrong, that the medication is slowly (or not so slowly) causing muscle deterioration. The medical community acknowledges that 10 - 20 percent of folks who take statins will experience muscle pain. In my opinion, I would rather feel good without statins and take my chances.
Have you tried Zetia? It is not a statin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Cut: red meat, dairy [milk and cheese], eggs, mayo, processed foods with non-food ingredients.

Increase: exercise, fruits, veggies.

A 45 minute documentary you may find interesting is: "The power of Community - How Cuba Survived Peak Oil". Their national diet and medical profiles pretty much mirrored the USA. After they lost all petroleum imports they went through major changes. Today cholesterol and diabetes are both gone from their island.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And then there's the question of whether that's much of a big deal if he's a non-smoker with no other risk factors for heart disease.
Nope, he has never smoked. No heart disease in his family. Very healthy guy.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:28 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
My husband is one of them. He takes Lipitor. He is also active, goes to the gym, is a good weight and eats really healthy foods. Its just one of those things for him.
How is the Lipitor working for him?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
How is the Lipitor working for him?
Great. He gets checked yearly and it is fine.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Swap out the oil you use for olive oil. Cook with it for everything. I just get the cheap extra virgin oil. Evidence says it may or may not be 100% extra virgin, but you will still get the appropriate compounds. You won't notice a difference in 90% of your cooking applications, and likely most things will taste better.. Also, add more omega-3s to your fiet by eating fish and walnuts. Also, avoid transfats like the plague.

Take a look at this advice from the Mayo Clinic.

Cholesterol: Top five foods to lower your numbers - MayoClinic.com

Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 PM

I use olive oil almost every day, but be careful when cooking some foods with it. It will not tolerate high heat and will burn. Also, sometimes I do not want the olive oil influence in some of my dishes and I will use canola oil instead.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I use olive oil almost every day, but be careful when cooking some foods with it. It will not tolerate high heat and will burn. Also, sometimes I do not want the olive oil influence in some of my dishes and I will use canola oil instead.
I alternate with grapeseed and Walnut oil. Grapeseed is neutral and tolerates high heat. In reality, I only use high heat sparingly, so the lower smoke point isn't a problem

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I alternate with grapeseed and Walnut oil. Grapeseed is neutral and tolerates high heat. In reality, I only use high heat sparingly, so the lower smoke point isn't a problem
Grapeseed is a great oil to use. A little pricey but has a high flashpoint. I have no problem with canola/vegetable oil. Hey Thomas Keller (French Laundry) uses it its okay with me.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Grapeseed is a great oil to use. A little pricey but has a high flashpoint. I have no problem with canola/vegetable oil. Hey Thomas Keller (French Laundry) uses it its okay with me.
It is not too much more than canola at Trader Joes. And luckily, I have a few local markets that bottle their own and sell it cheaply. Since my usage is pretty rare, it is OK to splurge on grapeseed.

Have yet to splurge on avocado oil. That one is really expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss