Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Lettuce may not have a lot of nutrients, but there is a fiber content. Some lettuces more than other. Ice berg lettuce is useless and spinach is your best bet. But to alleviate boredom there are a host of very good lettuces out there. I love arugula for its peppery flavor. And no dressing is a bit extreme for most people. A little olive oil and some balsamic vinegar is always good on salads.
Orange vegetables are EXTREMELY healthy for you as well, vegetables do not always have to be green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I second the lightly steamed (or even raw) vegetables that jaijai says above. Just make sure they are green veggies though.

Also, as far as salads, I am NOT at all a fan of them. I am a pretty healthy eater and pay pretty good attention to my diet, and can say that salads can be really bad for you if you dont know what you are doing. Most people mistakenly think salad=healthy or salad=nutritious and that is NOT always the case.

First of all, there is ZERO nutrients in lettuce, which is the #1 reason I say salads are not good for you. If I eat a salad, its NEVER EVER EVER EVER lettuce of any kind. Its ALWAYS spinach which packs more nutrients than empty salad. Secondly, I NEVER put any dressing on it. If anything, I'll sprinkle some cayanne pepper, chili powder or (on rare occasions) lemon pepper. If you want HEALTHY, drop the lettuce and switch to SPINACH.
Depends on the lettuce Lao. Green leaf lettuce is -loaded- with vitamin A and is a decent source of vitamin C as well. Romaine is even more nutritious - one cup of shredded romaine (the equivalent of a small salad) has nearly a full day's alotment of vitamin A, and almost 20% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C. Plus some fiber, PLUS some calcium, PLUS iron. The only thing iceberg has going for it, is that it's got lots of water in it (water is good). But it's also incredibly gassy.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I love salad. For me, a perfect salad has 1-2 cups of lettuce (I do not like raw spinach so I use arugula, "mesclun," romaine, butter lettuce, endive or radicchio or a combo of any of these + 1-1.5 cups of other veggies, protein, maybe a fruit, maybe some nuts or avocado or olives, maybe some healthy grains, and a homemade vinaigrette. Typically 3 parts acid, one part oil. And salt and pepper.

Dressing helps to bring all of the flavors together, but you do not need to follow the classic french recipe for dressing. Up the acid, reduce the oil, and you'll have a tasty lower calorie dressing. Definitely make your own dressing.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 AM

16 posts, read 31,227 times
I LOVE salads. The thing about them is, it's a very FLEXIBLE dish!

No one will tell you what to put, how to put, how much to put. It's based on your own desire.

Careful with the dressings though, I wouldn't say do -not- put any but I'll pick healthier choices. Like jade408 said, make your own dressing, not buy ready-made-filled-with-calorie ones

Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,938 times
I live on fruit and greens and eat about 3 heads of lettuce for lunch (with no oil, only papaya and sometimes tomatoes on top). I am happy, healthy, energetic and at a healthy weight for my height... Call it what you will, but I'll put it out there to you to check out "80-10-10" by Dr. Douglas Graham. Changed my life! Pooping is a good thing, even occasional runs, if that's what your body needs to clean out. Just stay hydrated and your body will adjust to the fiber. Good luck friends!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:52 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,454 times
You could try giving up the salad for a week and see if it helps. If not, resume the salad and give up the oatmeal to what happens. Personally, I've never had the runs from too much salad. It was always from too much coffee or fruit.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Oatmeal doesn't even have that much fiber. Half cup dry is only 4 grams, and we're supposed to be getting 30 grams a day. Lettuce doesn't have that much either, so I doubt it's the fiber. That said, I have no idea what is causing the problems. Like others suggested, about all you can do is eliminate one item at a time and see how you feel.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
Nothing but romaine lettuce with ceaser dressing. Been using the same dressing for years and has never gave me the issues it is now. I googled and looks as if green salad or any leafy vegetable can give you the runs.
Weirdly enough, it could be the dressing. Now that you are eating healthier, you are probably eating much less saturated fat than you are used to - no fried foods, burgers, that sort of thing.

So when you do eat something high in fat (like most ceaser dressings are) it tends to go right through you. I'd switch dressings.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Dr Oz recently mentioned using miso paste (low sodium) mixed w/ vinegar and lemon juice as a healthy salad dressing, once I find the mp, will try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss