Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That heart surgeon stopped practicing surgery in 2004 and had his license revoked in 2008 after repeated violations.

I'm thinking, I'll trust my cat's advice before I trust his.
I don't necessarily disagree with the notion he's presenting, but as you have pointed out, Dr. Lundell is kind of a trainwreck. Not exactly clean as a preacher's sheets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Oh, where to begin!

First of all, a cruise around the web site that is hosting this article reveals an article that says we should not treat cancer with chemo and radiation because they can cause cancer. Yes, they can, but the risk of dying with the original cancer is much greater than the risk of getting cancer from the treatment. The herbal treatment recommended instead is ludicrous.

Thanks to chemo and radiation, my son who had childhood leukemia is alive, and the cure rate for the type of leukemia he had approaches 80%.

Women who would have needed radical mastectomy now keep their breasts.

Testicular cancer five year survival is about 99%.

Another article says root canals should not be done because leaving a "dead" tooth behind will make you sick. There is no evidence that an uncomplicated root canal will make you sick.

So the site hosts material that lacks credibility.

Moving on to Dr. Lundell.

He alleges that the dietary recommendations to prevent heart disease are responsible for the American epidemic of obesity and diabetes. That is poppycock. People get fat because they eat too much, and if they eat too much, they are not on a low fat diet.

Here are those dietary guidelines:

American Heart Association Healthy Diet Guidelines-Topic Overview

Note that weight control is part of any heart healthy diet.

Some other heart healthy diets:

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/web...rm_uf10215.pdf

So Dr. Lundell has expressed an opinion for which he has provided no sources in support.

He states that stains are expensive. Lipitor is, but it comes off patent this year. There are others that are available as generics already and cost $10 for a three months supply. Statins need not be expensive.

Then he states that, " ... more Americans will die of heart disease than ever before." Well, not all heart disease is caused by problems with the coronary arteries. He should not be talking about numbers that include congenital heart disease and heart valve problems and heart complications due to things like infections and high blood pressure. So, instead of 75 million people with heart disease, we have 17.6 million with coronary heart disease. Perhaps Dr. Lundell meant all types of vascular disease, but he said heart disease.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/resources/d..._ChartBook.pdf (see 2. background data.)

From other charts (3-5 and 3-6, 3-26) we see that deaths from all heart disease, including deaths from coronary heart disease, have decreased steadily.

Prevalence of Coronary Heart Disease*

"From 2006 to 2010, age-adjusted CHD [coronary heart disease] prevalence in the United States declined overall from 6.7% to 6.0%."

That is over a 10% drop in just 4 years.

So Lundell does not seem to have his facts straight as far as the numbers are concerned.

What we really need to know is whether the things we are doing --- medications, diet, life style changes --- are reducing the number of new cases of coronary heart disease. If the prevalence (all the people who have the disease) drops, then it is likely that there are fewer new cases. If there were more new cases but people were surviving because of treatment (such as bypass surgery and stents), then the prevalence would be expected to increase (more people alive with disease.)

This contradicts Lundell's statement that, "It Is Not Working!"

What about inflammation? Yes, inflammation is involved in the formation of the plaque that eventually ruptures and forms a clot that produces a heart attack. Lundell blames this on diet, specifically a diet high in polyunsaturated fats and carbohydrates.

However, he offers no evidence to back up that theory.

What if we look for markers of inflammation in people who consume polyunsaturated fat?

Home use of vegetable oils, markers of systemic inflammation, and endothelial dysfunction among women

In these women, consumption of sunflower oil, corn oil, canola oil, soybean oil, and olive oil were associated with lower levels of inflammatory markers.

Adherence to the Mediterranean diet attenuates inflammation and coagulation process in healthy adults: The Attica study -- Chrysohoou et al. 44 (1): 152 -- Journal of the American College of Cardiology

"Adherence to the traditional Mediterranean diet was associated with a reduction in the concentrations of inflammation and coagulation markers. This may partly explain the beneficial actions of this diet on the cardiovascular system."

Omega-3 fatty acids

On omega 3 and omega 6.

Lundell fails to mention that there can be some adverse effects, including interactions with aspirin and drugs taken for diabetes. the article above covers those.

Here is a much better discussion of diet and inflammation, from a nutritionist:

Fighting Inflammation with Your Fork: What matters? | Smart Bytes

She points out that
  • "Scientists used to think that other polyunsaturated fats, the omega-6 fat found in many vegetable oils, increased substances that stimulated inflammation. Now it’s been discovered that they also lead to anti-inflammatory proteins called lipoxins. So the impact on inflammation from the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, which some once emphasized, is not clear."
  • excess body fat is pro-inflammatory
  • treating inflammatory conditions, such as gingivitis, may reduce heart risk
  • in a study of diabetics, reducing blood sugar did not reduce markers of inflammation
  • the Mediterranean and DASH diets are anti-inflammatory
  • "Bottom line: Chronic, low-grade inflammation is a significant health risk. Rather than focusing on individual foods or the nutrients in them for protection, however, our best strategy is to work at creating that all-round healthy lifestyle that includes tobacco avoidance, regular physical activity and basic healthy eating habits. Healthy foods choices mean a focus on unrefined plant foods (vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans and nuts), regular fish consumption, healthy fats, and portion control to help us reach and maintain a healthy weight. This seems like a great example of how the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts."

Lundell suggests that we choose the "whole foods" our grandmothers used. When I look at the history of heart attack and stroke in that generation and the preceding generation of my family, that idea is not very appealing to me. My mother and her mother had strokes while undergoing bypass surgery, and my maternal grandmother's mother also had a stroke. I would like to break that particular line of inheritance. traditional Southern cooking is not good for the heart.

I have never smoked, so I have a leg up there. I will try to maintain a healthy weight, though it is hard, continue to avoid saturated fat, and take a statin, because for me I think the benefit is there. I also take fish oil, because I am not fond of fish and I do not eat it twice a week.

If you have concerns about the best diet for yourself and whether to take a statin, discuss it with your doctor. Lundell is not a good source of information, no matter how many patients he has operated on.

The fact is that although inflammation is definitely involved in atherosclerosis, so is cholesterol. Exactly what causes the inflammation (and it is not as simple as too much sugar) is not yet clearly understood.

By the way, statins have an anti-inflammatory effect, too. that may be part of the way they work.

Effect of Statin Therapy on C-Reactive Protein Levels

Conclusions: In this prospective trial, pravastatin reduced CRP levels at both 12 and 24 weeks in a largely LDL-C–independent manner. These data provide evidence that statins may have anti-inflammatory effects in addition to lipid-lowering effects."

Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Oh jeeze, all Lundell did is agree with the science that already exists. Its out there and easy to find.
The fact of the matter is fats are not bad for you when you ditch all the other carb rich and processed foods we eat as part of the western diet. You can easily drop weight, lower your triglycerides, up your HDL, and turn your LDL pattern from Pattern B to Pattern A. All from eating the things our body was designed to function on and getting rid of the stuff that poisons it. I'M LIVING PROOF. And btw... poppycock? MOST people get fat due to WHAT they are eating, not how much. Again, misinformation. The truth is, if you eat correctly, you can eat until you are stuffed and keep a healthy weight. Not eating tubs of Poppycock (candied popcorn), other corn based foods, breads, pastries, pretty much anything that comes in a box, meat with pink slime, etc. Labeling something "low-fat" does not make it good for you. With the millions of new low fat foods introduced every year (i actually design packaging for a lot of them), you'd think we'd be getting slimmer as a nation, yet its the complete opposite. People need to wake up. Lundell may have had personal and professional issues, but I commend him for stepping forward and speaking out. His credibility has nothing to do with the information he's presenting which is nothing new.

The article was posted in the first place to show that there are some in the medical community who are starting to realize they been wrong, but unfortunately the rest of the medical community will do everything in their power to hush them up. Brainwashing at it's finest.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Oh jeeze, all Lundell did is agree with the science that already exists. Its out there and easy to find.
The fact of the matter is fats are not bad for you when you ditch all the other carb rich and processed foods we eat as part of the western diet. You can easily drop weight, lower your triglycerides, up your HDL, and turn your LDL pattern from Pattern B to Pattern A. All from eating the things our body was designed to function on and getting rid of the stuff that poisons it. I'M LIVING PROOF. And btw... poppycock? MOST people get fat due to WHAT they are eating, not how much. Again, misinformation. The truth is, if you eat correctly, you can eat until you are stuffed and keep a healthy weight. Not eating tubs of Poppycock (candied popcorn), other corn based foods, breads, pastries, pretty much anything that comes in a box, meat with pink slime, etc. Labeling something "low-fat" does not make it good for you. With the millions of new low fat foods introduced every year (i actually design packaging for a lot of them), you'd think we'd be getting slimmer as a nation, yet its the complete opposite. People need to wake up. Lundell may have had personal and professional issues, but I commend him for stepping forward and speaking out. His credibility has nothing to do with the information he's presenting which is nothing new.

The article was posted in the first place to show that there are some in the medical community who are starting to realize they been wrong, but unfortunately the rest of the medical community will do everything in their power to hush them up. Brainwashing at it's finest.
Let's see. Both of us eat exactly the same foods. I eat 500 calories per day and you eat 5000. Neither of us does anything for exercise. Who will lose the most weight, do you think, one week later?

The laws of thermodynamics are not suspended for biologic systems. If you eat anything, its energy content has to be accounted for. People get fat because they eat too much. Everything we eat can be turned into fat if we eat too much of it: sugar, fat and protein. The fact that a food is labeled "low fat" does not mean that it is lower in calories. Unfortunately, some people see "low fat" and think they can eat all of it that they want to. Maybe the packaging you design should include a large disclaimer to the effect that low fat is not low calorie.

The people you see out there who obviously weigh more than 250 pounds did not get that way because they were on the American Heart Association diet. Go to an all - you - can - eat buffet and watch what they put on their plates. I guarantee you will see more than one trip to the food bars, starting with a "salad" that may be 1000 calories all by itself. These are the same people who use a motorized cart to ride around inside the grocery store.

If "processed" foods are the cause of heart disease, why did my grandfather drop dead of a heart attack before the age 50 while he was chasing a cow on his farm? He was slim. I guarantee he was eating fresh vegetables right out of the garden. Fast food restaurants did not exist. I do not think there was even a restaurant of any kind near his home. It was three large home cooked meals per day. The vegetables were seasoned with animal fat: a chunk of "streak-o-lean." And he probably had a genetic susceptibility to an atherogenic lipid profile.

If fats do not matter, why try to change our lipid profile at all? Why do people who have certain genetic lipid abnormalities get coronary artery disease at an accelerated rate?

If Lundell wants us to believe that the American Heart Association diet is the cause of obesity and diabetes, he needs to show us the evidence that supports his claim.

If he wants us to believe that inflammation in arteries is a result of blood sugar fluctuations, he needs to explain the physiology and explain why people with perfectly normal blood sugars get coronary artery disease.

Challenge mainstream medicine all you wish. Just show me valid reasons to do so. Lundell does not do that. He expresses opinions unsupported by facts. To me, he is a surgeon who no longer can operate who feels the need to keep himself in the limelight. That is just sad.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Let's see. Both of us eat exactly the same foods. I eat 500 calories per day and you eat 5000. Neither of us does anything for exercise. Who will lose the most weight, do you think, one week later?
A week later? Seriously? I could go **** out half a lb of water right now, does that count? How about realistic numbers and a realistic time frame? You eat the 1000 calories made up of low fat and high carbs. I'll eat 3000 calories made up of all kinds of beef, pork, chicken, veggies, fruits and nuts, as well as dark chocolate and red wine. Weight loss will be the same in the beginning, then you will start to slow down because you are starving yourself, no matter what kind of food you are eating. A year later you are back to your original weight or more, and I'm down 15-20lbs and still going. Without a doubt.

Those low fat boxed products at the store are not good for you period. Doesn't matter how much you eat. If you could eat a minimum amount of rat poison without dying would you eat it?

I agree completely with your statements about 250+ at the buffet.
But look at WHAT they are eating, not how much. Pretty much everything on that buffet is carbs, coated in carbs and drowning/cooked in vegetable (soy) oil. What's your point?

If you are really interested in the support info behind Lundell's opinion, go find it. Its easy to find. But you are not so you won't. You will continue to believe what you've been taught to believe and will follow the medical and drug companies like the sheep they want you to be.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
A week later? Seriously? I could go **** out half a lb of water right now, does that count? How about realistic numbers and a realistic time frame? You eat the 1000 calories made up of low fat and high carbs. I'll eat 3000 calories made up of all kinds of beef, pork, chicken, veggies, fruits and nuts, as well as dark chocolate and red wine. Weight loss will be the same in the beginning, then you will start to slow down because you are starving yourself, no matter what kind of food you are eating. A year later you are back to your original weight or more, and I'm down 15-20lbs and still going. Without a doubt.

Those low fat boxed products at the store are not good for you period. Doesn't matter how much you eat. If you could eat a minimum amount of rat poison without dying would you eat it?

I agree completely with your statements about 250+ at the buffet.
But look at WHAT they are eating, not how much. Pretty much everything on that buffet is carbs, coated in carbs and drowning/cooked in vegetable (soy) oil. What's your point?

If you are really interested in the support info behind Lundell's opinion, go find it. Its easy to find. But you are not so you won't. You will continue to believe what you've been taught to believe and will follow the medical and drug companies like the sheep they want you to be.
You can lose weight on 3000 calories per day and not exercise? How much do you weigh?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
No one can eat 3000 calories a day of ANY kind of food and not exercise and lose weight. Not unless they are some big dude athlete. If they can lets have some verifiable proof.
I am not buying into the eat all the meat and fat you want and lose weight. The reason people lose weight on high protein and fat diets is because they feel full so they eat less. Its all about calories in vs calories out. No one should eat simple carbs and artificial foods. A diet of whole unprocessed foods that incorporates all the food groups is ideal.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No one can eat 3000 calories a day of ANY kind of food and not exercise and lose weight. Not unless they are some big dude athlete. If they can lets have some verifiable proof. I am not buying into the eat all the meat and fat you want and lose weight. The reason people lose weight on high protein and fat diets is because they feel full so they eat less. Its all about calories in vs calories out. No one should eat simple carbs and artificial foods. A diet of whole unprocessed foods that incorporates all the food groups is ideal.
Fine, don't. I'll continue to, and I'll continue to stay lean.

You admit it works, but because of the reason you think it works, you won't try it. That's just stupid, man.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Well I did Atkins for 8 months once. I lost weight but I could not keep up with the restrictions so I eventually failed like the large percentage of those who go on low carb diets. I have since lost the weight I wanted to quite awhile ago and I eat whatever I want, which happens to be a well rounded diet filled with whole foods from all the food groups. I have very little body fat and I am extremely fit.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Glad you found what worked for you. Why did you do Atkins in the first place, out of curiosity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss