Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Nope. This is just a ball of excuses. I don't buy the cop out.
I'm really starting to notice that the go to excuse now is lack of time. For decades it used to be I'm big boned or i have a thyroid. Now its, i have no time in a 24 hour period to get 30-45 minutes of exercise. There are 1440 minutes in day, but people can't find 30 to 45 minutes to exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 AM

17,355 posts, read 16,498,076 times
The bottom line is, you either find a way to make the time to exercise or you can continue to watch your waistline expand and your health go downhill....

Everyone can find 30-45 minutes a day to exercise. That's why people feel guilty when they don't exercise - they know that they could have, they just didn't do it. And they regret it. Have you ever heard anyone say "I sure wish I didn't exercise today!" or an overweight person regretting that they had lost a few pounds?

Focus on what you need to do *today*. And do it.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The bottom line is, you either find a way to make the time to exercise or you can continue to watch your waistline expand and your health go downhill....
Or you can eat less
Or you can get surgery

Overweight people who exercise aren't getting thinner - they're getting hungrier and eating more to compensate for the additional calories they've burned at the gym. Don't accept that? Take a look at the people at the gym over time. You see that overweight guy or gal over there? He's been working out for a year and hasn't lost a pound. If he didn't work out, he would still be overweight - he'd eat less, he'd burn less but he'd be about the same (though less healthy).

Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Or you can eat less
Or you can get surgery

Overweight people who exercise aren't getting thinner - they're getting hungrier and eating more to compensate for the additional calories they've burned at the gym. Don't accept that? Take a look at the people at the gym over time. You see that overweight guy or gal over there? He's been working out for a year and hasn't lost a pound. If he didn't work out, he would still be overweight - he'd eat less, he'd burn less but he'd be about the same (though less healthy).
The best results are achieved by those who do both (watch diet and exercise), actually.

Surgery is a last resort, IMO, because of the risk of complications.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The best results are achieved by those who do both (watch diet and exercise), actually.

Surgery is a last resort, IMO, because of the risk of complications.
"best results" translates to "The 5% of people who actually lose weight and keep it off..."

Surgery is a great resort - except it is not cheap (unless insurance pays). Some complications are experienced by some people, but almost all are correctable and we're talking 1% or so.

With that, which is better, a 1% risk of a correctable complication or a 95% chance of failure (dieting)?

2 year update WLS VSG 140lbs Down from size 24 to size 2 ! - YouTube

Before/Current Pics and 19 Month Post-VSG 4 Month Post-Reconstructive Surgery Phase 1 - YouTube

Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
[quote=Charles;24242073]"best results" translates to "The 5% of people who actually lose weight and keep it off..."

Surgery is a great resort - except it is not cheap (unless insurance pays). Some complications are experienced by some people, but almost all are correctable and we're talking 1% or so.

With that, which is better, a 1% risk of a correctable complication or a 95% chance of failure (dieting)?

With the surgery one still needs to change their eating habits. People have gotten the surgery, lost the weight, gone back to their old eating habits and gained it back.
Diet is critical - not going on a diet - but diet in general. People need to be willing to adopt new healthier eating habits or else they will never be healthy, no matter what method they use to get the weight off. It is a lifestyle change, not a temporary way to live.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
Quote:
"best results" translates to "The 5% of people who actually lose weight and keep it off..."

2 year update WLS VSG 140lbs Down from size 24 to size 2 ! - YouTube

Before/Current Pics and 19 Month Post-VSG 4 Month Post-Reconstructive Surgery Phase 1 - YouTube
I don't understand what that means. There's only a 1% chance of any risk whatsoever? Because that's simply false. 1% risk of serious complication? Suppose it depends on what you mean by serious. Infection? Osteoporosis? Gall bladder inflammation? Death? What qualifies as serious enough to be considered without a flippant wave of the hand? And where did you get that statistic in the first place?

Any time you go under general anesthesia you are risking your life and if you're overweight enough to get bariatric surgery, you're probably looking at more than one surgery to remove excess skin.

And let's not forget that, while most patients lose significant weight after surgery, many gain it all back. No matter whether you choose surgery or diet and exercise, it has to be about a lifestyle change. You can't live a healthy lifestyle until the weight comes off and then go back to potato chips and fried food, you have to live the rest of your life healthy and active.

It would seem the best way to get skinny is not to get fat in the first place.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM

I don't understand why more people do not consider surgery especially if it is paid for by insurance. Weight loss surgery has the highest success rate by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Any time you go under general anesthesia you are risking your life and if you're overweight enough to get bariatric surgery,

What's riskier? GA (which is performed thousands of times a day) or being overweight the rest of your life? The riskiest aspect of GA is driving to the hospital - you might get in a car crash.

you're probably looking at more than one surgery to remove excess skin.

Perhaps that would be desired for people losing 150+ pounds but I wouldn't think it necessary for those who would have surgery to lose maybe 50 pounds.

And let's not forget that, while most patients lose significant weight after surgery, many gain it all back.

Many? How does that compare with the percent of people who try to keep weight off conventionally?

No matter whether you choose surgery or diet and exercise, it has to be about a lifestyle change.

True, but the big difference is surgery doesn't require the willpower that diet and exercise require. A person who gets surgery simply can't eat as much. Surgery greatly restricts the amount and rate at which he can eat.

You can't live a healthy lifestyle until the weight comes off and then go back to potato chips and fried food, you have to live the rest of your life healthy and active.

True, but a lot of fat people are fat even if they eat healthy things. They are fat due to quantity ingested.

It would seem the best way to get skinny is not to get fat in the first place.

You can't "get skinny" if you never got fat. The transition isn't possible.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
Quote:
I don't understand why more people do not consider surgery especially if it is paid for by insurance. Weight loss surgery has the highest success rate by far.
Do NOT discount the risks of surgery. Surgical procedures should not be taken lightly especially when the same results can be achieved with determination. People gain weight back because they don't make healthy lifestyle changes, not because diet and exercise stop working. Surgery should not be the answer for someone looking to lose 50 lbs.

Surgery should be a last resort, not an easy fix.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Look, I'm not about to knock bariatric surgery. It saves lives and improves the quality of life for many morbidly obese people. It is a valid option for some people and there is absolutely no shame in it - when it comes to your life, you do what you have to.

I've never been morbidly obese before but I can't see me opting for bariatric surgery unless: I thought my life was on the line, I could not exercise and I felt pretty hopeless about my ability to diet for weight loss. But those are only my parameters...

In the end, people have to decide what's best for their own situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss