Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Well theres no rule here that says we have to be on the same side, so we will just have to agree to disagree. My opinion is that time is like money....if you ain't got it, then you just ain't got it. You can call b.s. all you want, but that doesn't make me wrong and you right...or vice versa for that matter.

And I'm assuming that when you say 'you' in your above post that you mean people in general, and not me personally. Just in case you're directing your rebuttal towards me, let me clarify: when I talk about time constraints I'm not speaking about myself--I'm fortunate that I am able to put aside time each day specifically for exercise, but I don't have the same responsibilities other people I know have--I have no children, I have a job with firm hours (most days) and nobody relies on me for anything. No pets. Husband works away 2 weeks at a time. I'm incredibly privileged to have loads of time to tend to myself. I rent a room in a shared house during the week, so there's a few of us taking care of housework, and on the weekends I go to our farm, where there is always a ton of physical labor to be undertaken. So I'm not making excuses, and certainly not for myself.

Look, its not my intent to start a war, but quite frankly, I don't care how fat or thin Obama is in comparison to his Inauguration Day. Were not talking about him, but since your bring him up as an example: Yes, he's a super-busy man.....but let us not forget that he is also absurdly privileged and well catered to in regards to diet, food, and exercise preferences--he can have whatever his heart desires, whenever it desires it......at least for now. Despite the many negatives he faces as POTUS he lives a luxurious existence compared to the way many many average Joe citizens are not.
You are right, it wasn't directed at you. I'm just calling b.s. to the excuse that people can't find time. That is just a lame excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:20 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
I have to disagree when people are saying it is an excuse. Everyone on my mothers side is short and obese. Even the ones who work out regularly and have been doing it for years. They are still obese and it seems that they just can't lose weight no matter what they do. They got their diets under control and they are still obese. I guess some people just aren't meant to lose weight or don't do it as effectively as others. I can't help my genes, I always seem to be stuck at the same weight and gaining even with exercise.
What, exactly, is your family's diet? Lots of fresh raw food, or more of the cooked and processed type. Raw food goes a long way to controlling weight. Heavy on potatoes, bread, rice - or instead maybe squash and other vegetables instead? The list is long. Losing weight and keeping it off means changing your eating habits for life.

My DIL has been going to Weight Watcher's. Lost 20 lbs the past two months. She's 6' tall and weighs about 250. Very solid b/c she exercises a lot, but she never was a veggie and raw fruit eater. She is now. Needs to lose another 75 lbs. Loves her stuffed pork chops w/gravy, starchy white stuff, everything that makes you fat. Big soda drinker (sugar, of course). There is always a reason. Starts w/diet.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
Sure I think there is a connection. Both my parents were skinny & I am thin. I have never weighed much irregardless of what I ate my whole life. Don't beat yourself up over it though- maybe you just will have to work harder to lose weight but you know I don't really believe that either. Get good info about diet and metabolism and then accept that you are a big person who will never be small. This is the best bet for the genetically challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss