Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

You can buy just as much crap at Whole Foods (chips, soda, cookies, cakes, crackers, etc) as you can anywhere else.

I think the challenge should be - only eat whole foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
If I wanted to buy food from China, I would go to a Chinese grocery rather than Whole Foods. At least they would be honest about where my food was coming from.

If I was going to do any supermarket diet I would choose Trader Joe's and my local fruit and veggie market. Or one of the great local supermarket that sells healthy food and from as local suppliers as they can get. Why go out of my way to shop at a multimillion dollar corporation that charges too much, misrepresents its goods and isn't anywhere near where I live?

Not to mention I don't want to patronize the megamarket that pushed out several ma and pa stores in my city. It's just a WalMart for foodies.

Whole Foods Market China Organic California blend ? - YouTube

Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Trader Joes is a multi million dollar corporation. The foods they get are from all over the world and they buy whatever is left over. Some of it is great quality and a lot of it is crap.
I shop occassionally at Trader Joes but I am very particular with what I buy.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM

71 posts, read 255,219 times
Simply buying food at Whole Foods does not make it healthier. Choosing to eat actual "whole foods" that are fresh and unprocessed (or minimally processed) is what is important.

Why buy produce at Whole Foods that's probably been shipped in from all over the world, when I can get it directly from a farmer at my local Farmer's Market?

Makes no sense.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Ha. We theoretically do this at work. Especially with cake. You can hear "Well it IS from Whole Food" various times through the day. If it's from whole foods it must have REAL butter, and sugar right?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
If it's from whole foods it must have REAL butter, and sugar right?
LOL, and the potato chips and cheese curls from Whole Foods are sooo much healthier than the potato chips and cheese curls you buy at Kroger, right?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Ha. We theoretically do this at work. Especially with cake. You can hear "Well it IS from Whole Food" various times through the day. If it's from whole foods it must have REAL butter, and sugar right?
I will say the cake is better. No transfats like other grocery store cakes.

And if your WF is like mine, you can call the prepared foods low sodium. They don't put much salt at all.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Trader Joes is a multi million dollar corporation. The foods they get are from all over the world and they buy whatever is left over. Some of it is great quality and a lot of it is crap.
I shop occassionally at Trader Joes but I am very particular with what I buy.
Which things? I would like to know because I do occasionally shop there but the items I like from TJ's are pretty limited. I trust what I buy at TJ's more than I would Whole Foods though. With the possible exception of locally owned stores, I really think most of these stores are on the same par.

I can get bakery goods without trans fats and locally grown produce at my nearby Safeway just as well as WF's or TJ's. I think one just has to be careful in choosing items. Reading labels is important.

I am curious as to why the OP picked Whole Foods as the only place to go for this diet.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I think WF and TJs are equally trustable. They are both sourcing organics and other products internationally. WF gets criticized more as they have been associated with organics. WF produce is generally superior to the TJs produce. Meat too. WF also buys from local farms. Nothing is local at TJs. (and definitely not labelled local). Neither one is better than the other for food sourcing and quality. People just like TJs "friendly" face over WFs more "elitist" persona.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Which things? I would like to know because I do occasionally shop there but the items I like from TJ's are pretty limited. I trust what I buy at TJ's more than I would Whole Foods though. With the possible exception of locally owned stores, I really think most of these stores are on the same par.

I can get bakery goods without trans fats and locally grown produce at my nearby Safeway just as well as WF's or TJ's. I think one just has to be careful in choosing items. Reading labels is important.

I am curious as to why the OP picked Whole Foods as the only place to go for this diet.
The most important thing you said was that reading labels is important. I think a lot of people skip that and just buy something from a certain place and just assume its better.
I do not think the food at Trader Joes is of any exceptional quality. Great prices on a lot of stuff, but a lot of times you get what you pay for. And some of the better quality stuff is no cheaper than at other stores.
I like the produce at Whole Foods and I like their meat and fish counters. I rarely shop the inner isles at Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss