Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think WF and TJs are equally trustable. They are both sourcing organics and other products internationally. WF gets criticized more as they have been associated with organics. WF produce is generally superior to the TJs produce. Meat too. WF also buys from local farms. Nothing is local at TJs. (and definitely not labelled local). Neither one is better than the other for food sourcing and quality. People just like TJs "friendly" face over WFs more "elitist" persona.
I am going to check the next time I go to TJ's. I thought I have seen local products there but I could be mistaken. I don't think they have a very good produce department but that is not a concern since I have much better soruces for that.

I don't go there often but there are some specialty items they sell that I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am going to check the next time I go to TJ's. I thought I have seen local products there but I could be mistaken. I don't think they have a very good produce department but that is not a concern since I have much better soruces for that.

I don't go there often but there are some specialty items they sell that I like.
There are some exceptions if you live in the right state. For example, the organic eggs in CA are "Chino Farms" so it is kinda local.....but berries and most produce comes from Mexico/Chile/Argentina.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I like the produce at Whole Foods and I like their meat and fish counters. I rarely shop the inner isles at Whole Foods.
WF has very good prices on their store label canned goods and staples. The WF whole wheat pasta is the best and cheapest.

I typically shop meats, bulk goods, canned goods, dairy and produce in desperation/convenience.

TJs doesn't sell local dairy, and WF does (at about the same prices as everywhere else in my region).

Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
There are some exceptions if you live in the right state. For example, the organic eggs in CA are "Chino Farms" so it is kinda local.....but berries and most produce comes from Mexico/Chile/Argentina.
I have such better sources I only glance at their produce or eggs. So maybe that's why I never noticed.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
WF has very good prices on their store label canned goods and staples. The WF whole wheat pasta is the best and cheapest.

I typically shop meats, bulk goods, canned goods, dairy and produce in desperation/convenience.

TJs doesn't sell local dairy, and WF does (at about the same prices as everywhere else in my region).
I buy my staples from Safeway. A heck of a lot cheaper than WF and just as good if you shop smart. I go to my local market to buy everything else. WF has nice produce but it is usually over priced.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I buy my staples from Safeway. A heck of a lot cheaper than WF and just as good if you shop smart. I go to my local market to buy everything else. WF has nice produce but it is usually over priced.
Me too. They just built a mega-Safeway just two blocks away from me. I shop carefully there. They have some good produce and other items. There is also a good supermarket, Fred Meyer, owned by Kroger for the past few years. They also have great produce and bargains. They are about a mile away. I don't drive so I take the bus there. Then there is the year round farmers market a few blocks away. They recently opened a small store next to them that sells locally caught fish, eggs from local farms, and grass fed beef.

There is no reason whatsoever for me to shop at Whole Foods; a place I neither like nor trust. As far as getting the healthy things from WF the OP is talking about, they can be gotten in many other and better places in my opinion.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I used to think that. But in my region, Safeway and WF are within 10 cents of each other. Some things WF comes out on top and other things Safeway does. Since more stuff I want is at WF I just go there. Canned tomatoes, beans, etc it is all very very similar. A couple years ago, our newspaper did a shop-off of Safeway, Whole Foods, and a local chain. WF was only 10% more for the entire basket of stuff.

I also buy lots in bulk: and it is just not available at Safeway. I go to the indie local market when possible, but WF is super close to my house. It is the default "quick" option for me.

(Safeway positions themselves as an upscale grocer, and they jack up the prices by 20-30% if you live in a middle class or above area here in CA. It is not cheap at all.)

I should note that I live near one of the "atypical" WF. The demographics of shoppers is very different than a typical WF. Way more diverse and a much broader mix of incomes and lifestyles. If the first WF I went to wasn't the Berkeley one, I probably would thought it was elitist and horrible. But they do a lot experiments in the Berkeley and Oakland ones since the crowds are so different. It isn't surprising to see someone picking up porcini mushrooms with food stamps. And the next person in line is a typical yoga mom, and then you have you know the vegan with dreads and the young professional and other regular people.

Last edited by jade408; 04-30-2012 at 12:08 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 AM

No, Safeway isn't cheap but like in any store, if you shop the sales and specials, you will do okay. And you can find just as good quality food as WF.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM

525 posts, read 760,597 times
Meat is a very important part of the human diet. Look up Dr. Loren Cordain.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
I used to think that. But in my region, Safeway and WF are within 10 cents of each other. Some things WF comes out on top and other things Safeway does. Since more stuff I want is at WF I just go there. Canned tomatoes, beans, etc it is all very very similar. A couple years ago, our newspaper did a shop-off of Safeway, Whole Foods, and a local chain. WF was only 10% more for the entire basket of stuff.

I also buy lots in bulk: and it is just not available at Safeway. I go to the indie local market when possible, but WF is super close to my house. It is the default "quick" option for me.

(Safeway positions themselves as an upscale grocer, and they jack up the prices by 20-30% if you live in a middle class or above area here in CA. It is not cheap at all.)

I should note that I live near one of the "atypical" WF. The demographics of shoppers is very different than a typical WF. Way more diverse and a much broader mix of incomes and lifestyles. If the first WF I went to wasn't the Berkeley one, I probably would thought it was elitist and horrible. But they do a lot experiments in the Berkeley and Oakland ones since the crowds are so different. It isn't surprising to see someone picking up porcini mushrooms with food stamps. And the next person in line is a typical yoga mom, and then you have you know the vegan with dreads and the young professional and other regular people.
Thats why I go to my local market and farmers markets. I try and avoid WF. I prefer to give my money to the locally owned store. It is a rare day when I step into our WF. My local market is awesome, but pricier than Safeway so I do not buy staples there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss