Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,236 times

Advertisements

I am slowly losing weight in the easiest fashion that I ever have. I'm a female in my mid-fifties and am using the "Four Hour Body" diet. It's eating slow, not precisely "low" carbs but I am. BEANS....homemade pots of beans and eating them with lean proteins. Veggies, yes but the only fruits I intake are a banana every morning to put my quality vitamins on top of, so to speak, one-percent milk in my tea and decaf coffee.

Also I drink very small amounts of Pomegrante/Blueberry juice with my meals, literally and ounce or two with raw, unfiltered, Apple Cider Vinegar stirred in, approximately a Tablespoon for health and blood thinning properties.

I have lost from 160 to 141 in the past few months. Not even taking account of the calendar.

Oh, how I miss my breads, but am allowed to cheat on weekends, in fact it is required to keep the diet effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am scared of the 8 day old pizza.
And then there's the 4th day of left-over chicken.

But is there any quicker way to lose weight than to induce gastric and intestinal distress? hmm....

Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I am slowly losing weight in the easiest fashion that I ever have. I'm a female in my mid-fifties and am using the "Four Hour Body" diet. It's eating slow, not precisely "low" carbs but I am. BEANS....homemade pots of beans and eating them with lean proteins. Veggies, yes but the only fruits I intake are a banana every morning to put my quality vitamins on top of, so to speak, one-percent milk in my tea and decaf coffee.

Also I drink very small amounts of Pomegrante/Blueberry juice with my meals, literally and ounce or two with raw, unfiltered, Apple Cider Vinegar stirred in, approximately a Tablespoon for health and blood thinning properties.

I have lost from 160 to 141 in the past few months. Not even taking account of the calendar.

Oh, how I miss my breads, but am allowed to cheat on weekends, in fact it is required to keep the diet effective.
That's how i started too!
Until i went to Paleo, but they are very close in concept.
The one big difference is Tim's outlook on beans which has actually changed since he wrote the book, and they are no longer a big part of his diet. You might want to look that up.
Congrats on your success. Keep at it!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,478 times
To answer some of your questions:

I keep my leftovers in the fridge. Nothing ever spoils, I never have random leftovers that sit in there until I no longer remember them. It's been so many years (decades) since I've had "gastric distress", I don't even remember what it's like.

Note the high consumption of vegetables, which I didn't specify the amount of, because they can be consumed in unlimited quantities. I indicated amounts only for meats and carbs. I don't just cycle through those three dishes, I presented them only as examples.

In my view, it is important to keep natural amounts of fats in the diet, otherwise you are always hungry, never feel satisfied, and need to constantly fight the urge to keep eating or snacking.

I'm now actually closer to 150, because I no longer have the desire to eat large meals, and I feel uncomfortable after doing so. The 190=>160 weight loss was five years ago, and I've been steady in the 150s ever since. My cholesterol etc. has remained within tolerance, and in fact declined. (Last time, 155, HDL=61, LDL=68, Trig=133. 6 years ago, my Dr tried to put me on Lipitor, I refused and resolved to lower it with diet instead.)

I do not exercise daily, but I don't drive, so I need to walk everywhere I go, including carrying groceries home. I probably average 4 or 5 miles a week outdoor walking.

The important thing is, home-cooking with dietary control has become a hobby, which removed the focus and self-control issues from the psychology of it. I did not remove anything I liked from my diet, I just moderated it.

Last edited by CowanStern; 05-23-2012 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
That is an AWFUL diet. You could do SO much better by picking the proper foods, which would be almost everything NOT on that list. You could seriously increase the portion sizes too, so at least a normal person wouldn't feel like they're starving to death. Hell, you could eat an entire carton of egg beaters for one lump of mayo or full fat sour cream.

Hopefully the OP has had their blood work done by a doctor. I wouldn't be surprised to see some serious artery cloggage and high cholesterol levels too.
Thinking egg beaters is part of a "proper" diet makes me want to cry. The guy eats whole milk and butter, like our grandparents did, loses a ton of weight, and he STILL has people getting on his case about not eating the advertised weight-loss fake foods like egg beaters and skim milk. It's like talking to a wall.

You freak out about his diet, you would really freak out about mine. 4 eggs this morning. 3/4 pound to a pound of meat nearly every night. My blood work is fine and has improved, much like his. At what point do you people admit you might not know everything?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
In my view, it is important to keep natural amounts of fats in the diet, otherwise you are always hungry, never feel satisfied, and need to constantly fight the urge to keep eating or snacking.
Very true. Fat is good!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
+1 for the natural fats I love full-fat yogurt and real butter and have maintained a nice weight loss for 3+ years with them in my diet (which other than the dairy consists almost totally of meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and vegetables).

Eggbeaters and margarine are just nasty.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
If the OP is to be taken at his word, he lost 30 pounds and has kept it off for 5 years and all his blood work is good. So....why all the nutritional outrage at his diet? It's working for him and would probably work for a lot of people.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:20 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:

I keep my leftovers in the fridge. Nothing ever spoils, I never have random leftovers that sit in there until I no longer remember them. It's been so many years (decades) since I've had "gastric distress", I don't even remember what it's like.

Note the high consumption of vegetables, which I didn't specify the amount of, because they can be consumed in unlimited quantities. I indicated amounts only for meats and carbs. I don't just cycle through those three dishes, I presented them only as examples.

I'm now actually closer to 150, because I no longer have the desire to eat large meals, and I feel uncomfortable after doing so. The 190=>160 weight loss was five years ago, and I've been steady in the 150s ever since. My cholesterol etc. has remained within tolerance, and in fact declined. (Last time, 155, HDL=61, LDL=68, Trig=133. 6 years ago, my Dr tried to put me on Lipitor, I refused and resolved to lower it with diet instead.)

I do not exercise daily, but I don't drive, so I need to walk everywhere I go, including carrying groceries home. I probably average 4 or 5 miles a week outdoor walking.

The important thing is, home-cooking with dietary control has become a hobby, which removed the focus and self-control issues from the psychology of it. I did not remove anything I liked from my diet, I just moderated it.

Congrats on finding something that works for you. That is the key.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:

Good job on the loss. But now its time for the next step. Trying to improve what you are eating. Since you like it as a hobby you may find it fun. Just google "spark people diet". Enter what you eat. You can get a cheap food scale anywhere to make it easy to measure.

Your cholesterol levels are acceptable but they can be improved a little more.

Check this chart on it:
Cholesterol levels: What numbers should you aim for? - MayoClinic.com

That is great though that you got it to where you did med free.

Hope you have fun playing with the spark site.

If I were you I would just use it to see the quality of what you normally eat for a couple weeks. And then review it to see where you can improve.
Its so nice for tweaking once you have portion control down.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss