Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:59 PM

689 posts, read 2,171,287 times

Advertisements

I lost about 30 pounds in a year or so, and it was easy. I didn't need to, but I went from 190 to 160 just because I changed my attitude about eating, and started thinking portion control. A year goes by fast. Give yourself a year to lose your target weight. Here is a typical day:

BREAKFAST

2/3 cup adult cereal flakes, half a banana, and milk.
--or
Scratch biscuits of 1/4 cup flour, and gravy made from 1 ounce pork sausage and milk.

LUNCH

Sandwich made from 1 slice bread, with 1 slice cheese or lunch meat, mayo, lettuce, and a roma tomato on the side.
--or
Quick polenta from 1/3 cup corn meal, with butter and a big dollop of sour cream, and the tomato.
--or
A salad, leafy lettuce and tomato, as big as I want, with a tablespoon of salad dressing and a dash of olive juice to mix dressing through.
--or
Two scrambled eggs, 1/4 can refried beans, four corn tortillas.
--or
One slice of pizza. A pizza lasts me eight days.

DINNER

About three ounces of meat, usually chicken livers or hearts or beef liver or slice of pork or ham, or one mackerel out of a can. A 4-inch-long potato, boiled skin-on and mashed with butter and milk. Vegetable, buttered.
--or
A quarter of the following recipe, doled out over four days of leftovers:
A one pound chicken leg quarter, simmered in the frying pan with two big onions, a green pepper. Seasoned and enhanced in some ethnic fashion (curry, paprika, etc.) , and served over appropriate starch, like 1/3 cup uncooked of rice or drop noodles made from 1/3 cup flour. Consult a cookbook and simplify any recipe.
--or
Red or black beans, pressure-cooked, with two onions, a green pepper, a few stalks of celery. two ounces polish sausage (also over 4 days). served on rice.

SNACKS

Daytime, celery stalk dipped in peanut butter, or a home-made low sugar cookie. Or a fruit that's in season.
Nighttime, a handful of tortilla chips dipped in 1/4 can of refried beans, or about ten saltines with an ounce of cheese. Two or three times a week, a canned beverage with the snack (cola or beer), otherwise I never drink anything but water, flavored with a tinge of lemon juice. Sometimes a half a 1-ounce square of semi-sweet baking chocolate.
Bedtime, one slice of toast, with a little PBJ or lightly cinnamon-sugared with butter.

None of the above ingredients are "diet". Everything is full strength: whole milk, full sour cream, real butter, skin on the chicken, regular salad dressing. Bread is heavy scratch-made. Added bonus---all the ingredients I've described are super cheap, and I maintain this diet for about $80 a month. Everything I've described can be made easily in single servings, or set by as leftovers for another day.

I have become so accustomed to small portions, when I go out for a burger, I just eat half of it, feel full, and take half home for lunch the next day. As an added incentive, I walk to the supermarket. Before I eat something, I reflect on the fact that I will have to replace it, and carry it 3/4 of a mile home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM

326 posts, read 706,404 times
Are you still 160?

Old 05-22-2012, 05:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Horrible. Only thing in your plan that is acceptable (TO ME) is the red beans OR two scrambled eggs (minus the refried beans and corn tortilla).

Not at all what I or anyone in the know about proper nutrition would call HEALTHY.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Are you still 160?
Good question. And OP, are you a male or female? What is your height? What exercise routine did you follow?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
I lost about 30 pounds in a year or so, and it was easy. I didn't need to, but I went from 190 to 160 just because I changed my attitude about eating, and started thinking portion control. A year goes by fast. Give yourself a year to lose your target weight. Here is a typical day:

BREAKFAST

2/3 cup adult cereal flakes, half a banana, and milk.
--or
Scratch biscuits of 1/4 cup flour, and gravy made from 1 ounce pork sausage and milk.

LUNCH

Sandwich made from 1 slice bread, with 1 slice cheese or lunch meat, mayo, lettuce, and a roma tomato on the side.
--or
Quick polenta from 1/3 cup corn meal, with butter and a big dollop of sour cream, and the tomato.
--or
A salad, leafy lettuce and tomato, as big as I want, with a tablespoon of salad dressing and a dash of olive juice to mix dressing through.
--or
Two scrambled eggs, 1/4 can refried beans, four corn tortillas.
--or
One slice of pizza. A pizza lasts me eight days.

DINNER

About three ounces of meat, usually chicken livers or hearts or beef liver or slice of pork or ham, or one mackerel out of a can. A 4-inch-long potato, boiled skin-on and mashed with butter and milk. Vegetable, buttered.
--or
A quarter of the following recipe, doled out over four days of leftovers:
A one pound chicken leg quarter, simmered in the frying pan with two big onions, a green pepper. Seasoned and enhanced in some ethnic fashion (curry, paprika, etc.) , and served over appropriate starch, like 1/3 cup uncooked of rice or drop noodles made from 1/3 cup flour. Consult a cookbook and simplify any recipe.
--or
Red or black beans, pressure-cooked, with two onions, a green pepper, a few stalks of celery. two ounces polish sausage (also over 4 days). served on rice.

SNACKS

Daytime, celery stalk dipped in peanut butter, or a home-made low sugar cookie. Or a fruit that's in season.
Nighttime, a handful of tortilla chips dipped in 1/4 can of refried beans, or about ten saltines with an ounce of cheese. Two or three times a week, a canned beverage with the snack (cola or beer), otherwise I never drink anything but water, flavored with a tinge of lemon juice. Sometimes a half a 1-ounce square of semi-sweet baking chocolate.
Bedtime, one slice of toast, with a little PBJ or lightly cinnamon-sugared with butter.

None of the above ingredients are "diet". Everything is full strength: whole milk, full sour cream, real butter, skin on the chicken, regular salad dressing. Bread is heavy scratch-made. Added bonus---all the ingredients I've described are super cheap, and I maintain this diet for about $80 a month. Everything I've described can be made easily in single servings, or set by as leftovers for another day.

I have become so accustomed to small portions, when I go out for a burger, I just eat half of it, feel full, and take half home for lunch the next day. As an added incentive, I walk to the supermarket. Before I eat something, I reflect on the fact that I will have to replace it, and carry it 3/4 of a mile home.
Where are the fruits and veggies?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,004 times
That diet makes zero sense to me. But hey if it worked for you and you are maintaining the loss more power to you.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,461,484 times
That is an AWFUL diet. You could do SO much better by picking the proper foods, which would be almost everything NOT on that list. You could seriously increase the portion sizes too, so at least a normal person wouldn't feel like they're starving to death. Hell, you could eat an entire carton of egg beaters for one lump of mayo or full fat sour cream.

Hopefully the OP has had their blood work done by a doctor. I wouldn't be surprised to see some serious artery cloggage and high cholesterol levels too.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM

326 posts, read 706,404 times
The strength of this diet appears to me to be your self control and working through the benefits of caloric restriction. These diets are effective if you can stay focused but rarely do they succeed long term. Are you exercising at all?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,461,484 times
There's plenty of better ways to exercise self control, like looking for a bad habit to break. Mine were drinking coffee and biting my nails. I beat both of them and still managed to eat a billion times better than this diet. Exercise is another way. I sometimes don't want to, but I make myself do it and always feel a lot better when I'm done. Then I eat a reasonable portion of something that's actually nutritious.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,004 times
I am scared of the 8 day old pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss