Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 AM

71 posts, read 255,281 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've had a very recent onset of GERD/acid reflux beginning about 2 months ago. I went to the doctor and went through the list of causes with the dr, then changed the one thing that stood out (eating too close to bedtime). I elevated the top of my bed. It's been two weeks and no change. :-( If anything my acid reflux is worse.

Doing some googling, I've found recommendations to do "food combining."

Does anyone have experience with food combining, and did it help treat your acid reflux?

I think my dr is basically useless in this situation since the recommendations didn't work, and her only other suggestion was medication. I'm 22 and would rather not be on acid-reducing medications for the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I used to get heartburn (GERD?) fairly regularly (almost every night). I would have to get up and take Tums or some other antacid during the middle of the night.

But once I cleaned up my diet and lost some weight the heartburn went away. I never get it now.

If you have a lot of fat accumulated in your midsection, that will put pressure on your stomach when you lay down - especially if you've had a big heavy/fatty/starchy/sugary meal at dinner time (like pizza). Try having something like a baked chicken breast and some veggies or grilled fish and a salad for dinner. And watch your portion sizes.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
I've had Reflux for years.. I tried everything and nothing worked...and now have to take meds....my doc told me to take Omeprazole Magnesium....I buy it at walmart....42 capsules for $17.97. I haven't had a reflux problem since I started taking it. But I still stay away from the foods which used to affect my reflux....tomato, orange juice, tea (one of the worst culprits for me). My doc told me sometimes you can use the meds and get the inflammation cleared up and then go off the meds.

When I had an episode I used to eat applesauce and it seemed to help soothe it....don't know why it just did....at least for a while.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I get a bout of reflux every 6-9 months or so. I take Omeprazole Magnesium (generic) for the two week period and it goes away. If I do not catch it in time I will need to also take Tagamet or Pepcid along with as needed. My doc said that was fine to do. I simply refuse to give up coffee, red wine and spicy foods so I pay the price. One day I may have to give those up but I am going to go down swinging!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
My wife always had acid reflux, even as a kid.
When she finally started eating clean, it went away and has stayed away.
For her it had nothing to do with spicy food, acidic food, etc... it had to do with junk.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Eating clean means different things. For you I would assume 'eating clean' means loosely following the Paleo plan, which means you avoid grains along with sugars and processed foods. I eat clean but I include complex carbs in the way of whole grains.
There is also a diet plan called 'eating clean'. The term 'eating clean' has morphed into a relative term.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
I began having reflux problems in my early 40s, but then changed my diet to eat low-carb. Virtually no grains (whole or otherwise), same with potatoes, sugar, rice, etc. and my reflux was gone in two days. Whenever I slip and fall back into eating those things (no matter what time of day), the reflux will reliably come back. My husband has had the same experience.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Eating clean means different things. For you I would assume 'eating clean' means loosely following the Paleo plan, which means you avoid grains along with sugars and processed foods. I eat clean but I include complex carbs in the way of whole grains.
There is also a diet plan called 'eating clean'. The term 'eating clean' has morphed into a relative term.
For christs sake. Here we go again.

It's simply eating real food and getting rid of all the processed junk. Many of the problems people have are due to poor diet. If you can make a simple change in diet and avoid medication, that IMHO is usually the wisest choice.

Do us all a favor... don't assume, keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself, and don't make every thread about you and defending your eating habits. I offered the OP one person's experience. Take it for what it is.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I'm limiting whole grains right now in my own diet but when I went lower carb before and avoided highly processed foods, I had more complex carbs in my diet (brown rice, quinoa, etc.) and I still did not experience any heartburn - even when I drank tea or coffee which were always big triggers for me. Right now, I'm limiting complex carbs simply to cut back on calories, not because I think brown rice is necessarily bad for me.

I think the heartburn/reflux/GERD comes from having too many simple carbs in your diet. What constitutes "too many" probably varies a lot among people.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
For christs sake. Here we go again.

It's simply eating real food and getting rid of all the processed junk. Many of the problems people have are due to poor diet. If you can make a simple change in diet and avoid medication, that IMHO is usually the wisest choice.

Do us all a favor... don't assume, keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself, and don't make every thread about you and defending your eating habits. I offered the OP one person's experience. Take it for what it is.
I'm the one defending MY eating habits? Yes I am & SO ARE YOU WITH EVERY POST YOU MAKE.
I mentioned that I have acid reflux too and you took a jab at me with your spicy foods and junk comments. Jeeze louise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss