Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,971,983 times

Advertisements

By "never hungry" I mean outside of mealtimes. Yeah, to be honest, if I have rice and vegetables for lunch six hours after four eggs for breakfast, that lunch will satisfy me until dinner. I'll have absolutely no desire for even a piece of fruit, let alone a trip to the vending machine. Have cereal and skim milk for breakfast on the other hand, or a banana, and that rice and vegetables won't do squat.

I'm noticeably off tempo when I haven't had any animal fat/protein in the previous 12 hours or so. You can call that an addiction if you want, but I've spent plenty of time in my life limiting animal fat and I was in no way better off back then, physically or mentally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yes, but without the protein you will get hungrier quicker. If you add protein into the mix you will feel fuller for a longer period of time.
Without what protein? A bowl or rice and vegetables will have protein, just not nearly as much as a bowl of meat. Protein may satiate you better than sugar, but why would it satiate the body better than a high-fiber whole foods source of carbohydrates? Both won't spike blood sugar levels and are slowly converted into useable energy.

But an eggs and bacon meal isn't particularly high in protein, its high in fat. A cup of soy milk has the same amount of protein as 2~3 slices of bacon, but its around half the calories.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Have cereal and skim milk for breakfast on the other hand, or a banana, and that rice and vegetables won't do squat.
"A banana", umm.....of course a ~90 calorie piece of fruit isn't going to be a satisfying meal. You have to compare meals with similar caloric content....

But, I should add, there is nothing negative about snacking. Snacking is only bad if you snack on junk food. We aren't carnivores, our bodies are "designed" to consume food throughout the day hence our 3 meals. But breakfast, lunch and diner are arbitrary cultural conventions, if you want to eat 4, 5 or 6 meals it doesn't matter. All that maters is that you're getting the proper nutrition and aren't over eating.

Quote:
I'm noticeably off tempo when I haven't had any animal fat/protein in the previous 12 hours or so. You can call that an addiction if you want...
Yes, considering the body doesn't need animal fat and protein it certainly sounds like an addiction....

Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,971,983 times
OK, four bananas, then. Makes no difference. My "addiction" still rears its ugly head about a half hour after that "meal."

When you're ready to challenge your belief that you know everything there is to know about how to eat, you might check out the blog "Hyperlipid." Lots of science there that jibes with how I feel when I eat the way I do.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM

326 posts, read 704,100 times
Quote:
OK, four bananas, then. Makes no difference. My "addiction" still rears its ugly head about a half hour after that "meal."

When you're ready to challenge your belief that you know everything there is to know about how to eat, you might check out the blog "Hyperlipid." Lots of science there that jibes with how I feel when I eat the way I do.
Man that is a great blog! Very thought provoking - thanks for the link...

Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Well it does make a difference, when is the last time you ate 4 bananas? I'm guessing zero...

And, not to say the obvious, an addiction would rear its head all the time.

Quote:
When you're ready to challenge your belief that you know everything there is to know about how to eat...
Well if you can make sense out of anything you've said scientifically I'm all hears.... For example, why would the stomach still trigger "hunger messages" to the brain 30 minutes after eating 4 bananas which would fill the stomach and still be almost entirely undigested? Do bananas shrink when you eat them?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Hi all, sorry to jump in here but even though I've not read this whole thread I have a few questions. I have heard that carbs cause weight gain, no doubt as we all know. But now I saw that low carb diets, like Atkins' diet, causes heart problems? How can both be right?

If you drop carbs to ultra low to lower insulin responses, etc. as many doctors say you should, won't this actually now up chances of heart disease? I have seen that heart disease rates increase on low carb diets & now am lost on this issue. Thanks for any help here.

I bloat after almost all carbs, from a potato/yam/oats/barley/rice (even beans, which have carb & proteins, I think) so other than veggies (I know cruciferous are best & they too cause me to either have gas, bloat, or have frequent bowel movements -- which I know clean out me but are overly much, I think for normal GI health) so I now have no clue as to what to eat or take out of my diet?

Fruit causes gas too, & has high sugar (even though slowed by the high fiber in most fruit) & see doctors saying to limit it due to fructose probs & worry that it'll cause either weight gain or insulin resistance, etc. Hmm, my diet will soon be organic kale & swiss chard & not much else. LOL

Thanks again everyone for any clarification here.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
If I am allowed to eat half a pound of food...and my options are:

1. a half pound of brown rice with some chopped brocolli peas and carrots in it..
2. a half pound of boneless skinless chicken breast
3. a bowl of leafy green salad with tomatoes and mushrooms and other veggies totalling 3 ounces total, plus 3 ounces (1/4 pound) of sliced boneless skinless chicken breast, with 1/4 ounce of oil-based salad dressing, plus 1.75 ounces (a serving spoonful) of brown rice on the side:

I will feel the following:

1. stupidly full, for an hour, and then hungry.
2. sick to my stomach, and then uncomfortable and unhealthy the rest of the day
3. full at first, and comfortable for the next several hours, until it's time for my next meal.

A bowl full of protein is no more healthy than a bowl full of starch. But a bowl full of dense nutrition, which includes both starch and protein in modest proportions, is healthy, AND filling, AND sustainable with regards to hunger.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A bowl full of protein is no more healthy than a bowl full of starch. But a bowl full of dense nutrition, which includes both starch and protein in modest proportions, is healthy, AND filling, AND sustainable with regards to hunger.
A bowl of brown rice and vegetables is hardly a "bowl full of starch". Such a meal would be high in fiber and have a good deal of protein and be packed with micro-nutrients. The salad you described, like most salads, would be a high-fat food fairly low in nutrients. 3oz of vegetables is nothing.....

Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I bloat after almost all carbs, from a potato/yam/oats/barley/rice (even beans, which have carb & proteins, I think) so other than veggies (I know cruciferous are best & they too cause me to either have gas, bloat, or have frequent bowel movements
Its not the carbohydrates its the fiber. If you're not use to eating high fiber foods they will cause bloating, that is especially true of things like beans, barley, oats, etc. Your body will adjust fairly fast though, you just need to consistently consume the foods over 1~2 months.

Of course, eggs, bacon, etc don't have fiber so no worries there......just make sure you have a good cardiologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss