Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Or, in other words:

A low-carb diet requires you to eat more...

Why would someone want to have to eat more?
1st: the ketosis issue isn't a problem, you just have to drink more water while you're on the diet. The diet is only temporary, most people meet their weight goal after 3-5 months on the diet, then they gradually add carbs to get back to a normal diet. Some say the diet tends to leach calcium from the body. I haven't found that to be true, but as an extra precaution, one can always take some calcium supplements. Perimenopausal and menopausal women should be taking 800-1200 mg. of calcium daily, anyway. And don't forget vit D supplements, to make sure your bones are absorbing the calcium.

You don't necessarily eat more on a low-carb diet (low carb = less carbs, get it?), you eat differently. The proportions of your diet given to carbs, protein, veggies, change. You may end up eating more, especially in the initial couple of weeks as your body adjusts to the change, but that would only be more protein, for a feeling of satiety, and all the green veggies you want. Eating more does not = gaining weight.

This diet really works, it's nice that some studies are finally beginning to come out supporting that. It works especially well when combined with a regular gym program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Maybe I'm the only foodie here...I'm surprised someone would even be surprised a person would want to eat as much as they could and and still not gain weight.
Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if the "eat as much as they could" included the high fat and sugar foods found in the typical American diet. But presenting the fact that people burn more calories as they get more calories from fat has a positive doesn't make much sense. Consuming more food, especially high fat food, doesn't result in higher degrees of satiation. If it did 2/3 of American adults wouldn't be over-weight.... What's even stranger is to use this as evidence that fat is a better source of energy than carbs...as if greater difficulty of metabolizing fat is a virtue.

So then, perhaps people should think about why they are always craving more food despite being overweight instead of looking for ways to consume more food without gaining weight?

Last edited by user_id; 06-29-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
1st: the ketosis issue isn't a problem, you just have to drink more water while you're on the diet. The diet is only temporary, most people meet their weight goal after 3-5 months on the diet, then they gradually add carbs to get back to a normal diet.
I didn't say anything about ketosis, I'm reflecting on the issue of satiation. In particular the fact that, as clearly demonstrated by American society, consuming more calories and a lot of fat (and sugar) doesn't result in high levels of satiation.

As for as temporary diets, well they are good for temporary weight-loss, temporary health benefits, etc. Long-term weight-loss, long term health benefits, etc all require long-term life-style changes. Do low-carb, high fat diets promote good long term health and weight? No..

Quote:
This diet really works, it's nice that some studies are finally beginning to come out supporting that. It works especially well when combined with a regular gym program.
Any diet that results in caloric restriction will result in weight-loss, low-carb diets (especially in their initial phases) all have a lot of caloric restriction built into them. But weight-loss, at least for the vast majority, is a side effect of poor diet. Eating a diet that promotes good health will automatically deal with any weight problem.

At this point everyone and his mother has tried a low-carb diet of some sort, and yet the obesity numbers keep growing in the United States.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I mentioned the satiation issue, but I can see I wasn't clear enough.
For the first 2 weeks on a low carb diet, you feel hungry all the time. Stick with the diet, protein and fat will give you some satiation, not much, but stick with it. After 2 weeks, your body gets used to the new regime and is easily satisfied with the meals on the regime. At this stage, an excess of carbs, even a small excess, makes you feel absolutely stuffed, you can't take it. So something changes in the metabolic process, I don't know what. But you will have no problem with satiety after you get past those 1st two weeks at the beginning.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
At this point everyone and his mother has tried a low-carb diet of some sort, and yet the obesity numbers keep growing in the United States.
I don't agree that everyone and their mother has tried the diet. As I said, I did this first in 2002. That was when I lived in Florida. Very few people actually try the diet. I hear a lot of "I have to have my carbs!" talk. Or a lot of tsk-tsking by people that never tried it but continue to struggle with low calorie/low fat diets. None of them ever seem to loose much weight. It's a shame, really. But out of the people that I know in Mass., Florida and Tenn., I can count on one hand the people that have even given a low-carb lifestyle - or even South Beach - a try.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Been doing low-carb for 13 days and have lost 13 pounds.

I did this before back in early 2002 and I lost 40 pounds in 3 months. I kept it off, too, doing a sort of modified South Beach, so to say. I just ate very good carbs like whole wheat pasta or if I had a splurge I would watch the carbs the next day. It lasted for years until I carbo loaded due to stress. And then I carbo loaded and carbo loaded like an addict. I had a lot of health concerns that followed. I'm not sure if that was because of it but the additional weight has not helped me.

My doc is all for this, by the way. He said the only thing about low-carb diets is people can get bored with it. But if you get to your desired weight you can have interesting, healthy food and be happy. And once I stop the low carb loading my desire for carbs rapidly dwindles. I found it easy to follow and I felt great for years and I was never, ever hungry. I've tried low calorie and/or low fat diets over the years, even as a very young woman, and they have never worked for me.

To each his own.
Many people lost a lot of weight by going low carb. Most gain it back becaus eevenutally they want to eat more carbs. If you don't want to or can't follow your "diet" for the rest of your life, then it really isn't very effective as a long term strategy.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I mentioned the satiation issue, but I can see I wasn't clear enough.
For the first 2 weeks on a low carb diet, you feel hungry all the time. Stick with the diet, protein and fat will give you some satiation, not much, but stick with it. After 2 weeks, your body gets used to the new regime and is easily satisfied with the meals on the regime. At this stage, an excess of carbs, even a small excess, makes you feel absolutely stuffed, you can't take it. So something changes in the metabolic process, I don't know what. But you will have no problem with satiety after you get past those 1st two weeks at the beginning.
Yes, I know the story..... But what is really going on? The initial phases greatly reduces your caloric intake (that is why you feel hungry) and this results in a good deal of weight loss. As the diet goes on the rate of weight-loss starts to slow because you're starting to eat more (and that is why you feel less hungry). The weight-loss peaks at around one year at around 10% of total weight starting weight and then starts to creep back up and after two years the total weight loss is around 7%. There aren't any good studies that look into it beyond 2 or so years...

After the initial phase low-carb diets are really just the typical American diet without as much sugar. That may be an improvement on some level, but its not a dietary lifestyle that promotes good health.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't agree that everyone and their mother has tried the diet. As I said, I did this first in 2002. That was when I lived in Florida. Very few people actually try the diet.
Low-carb diets have been the most popular dietary fad over the last decade you'd think that if it was actually a dietary lifestyle that promoted a healthy weight that you'd see some reduction in obesity, etc over the last 10 years. But you don't....it just keeps getting worse.

South beach is funny because its pretty close to the typical American diet...just add some protein. So take the typical American diet, take some soda or candy away and replace it with some fried chicken and you've got the South Beach diet! Yep that's the solution to the nations obesity problem.....more fatty meat.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Do low-carb, high fat diets promote good long term health and weight? No.
A) Low-carb food plans are not necessarily high-fat.

B) If low-carb food plans are followed correctly? Yes.

Quote:
Yes, I know the story..... But what is really going on? The initial phases greatly reduces your caloric intake (that is why you feel hungry) and this results in a good deal of weight loss. As the diet goes on the rate of weight-loss starts to slow because you're starting to eat more (and that is why you feel less hungry).
Wouldn't this apply to any weight-loss food plan? Duh.

Quote:
There aren't any good studies that look into it beyond 2 or so years...
Well, take a look at me, then. I've been on a low- or reduced-carb food plan since 2001, and until winter 2010 I maintained a 150-pound weight loss. My husband's illness over the past two years, and his death in October, impacted my health; I abandoned my food plan and gained 50 pounds. Now I'm back on the low-carb wagon, down 23 pounds, feeling no hunger pangs or cravings, and I don't miss the pizza or crackers that I ate because I was trying to encourage my husband to keep up his appetite. Had a personal tragedy not occurred, I'd likely never have gained that weight.

Quote:
South beach is funny because its pretty close to the typical American diet...just add some protein.
Funny, you forgot about subtracting the white pasta, the white rice, the white bread, the white potatoes, the refined grains, the corn ...

Quote:
So take the typical American diet, take some soda or candy away and replace it with some fried chicken and you've got the South Beach diet! Yep that's the solution to the nations obesity problem.....more fatty meat.
Oh, good grief. Don't be obtuse.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Many people lost a lot of weight by going low carb. Most gain it back becaus eevenutally they want to eat more carbs. If you don't want to or can't follow your "diet" for the rest of your life, then it really isn't very effective as a long term strategy.
Exactly. I did Atkins for over 6 months. I lost the weight I wanted to lose and I swore by this diet. But after about 4 or 5 months I really wanted to eat normally. Its hard being in a social setting and going out to dinner or over to friends for meals. I just got tired of it. I love to cook and I did a lot of stuff that was great, but I also missed cooking 'normal' meals. At work for my birthday my coworkers put together a meat and cheese plate because they knew I wouldn't eat the cake. I was over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss