Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
MUTGR if it works for you fine. I am not disagreeing that you will lose weight on a low carb diet. But you see, I lost my weight, 40 lbs, eating in moderation. I have been my goal weight for years. I eat what I want when I want. I eat whole fresh foods, no prepackaged crap. I do not eat a lot of sugar or simple carbs. I enjoy eating and cooking and I want no restrictions on those things. I believe in enjoying my life and food is a huge part of it. My doctor recently told me he wished his daughter (same age as me) was as healthy! I exercise daily, compete in triathlons and hang out with trainers and nutritionists. We aint all wrong in our thinking.
The thing is if this type of diet works for you super! Keep it up. It does not in any way make it the best way to eat. It makes it one of the ways one can be healthy and lose weight.
The true test of a diet of any kind is the longevity of it. If people get tired of eating a certain way they will fail. Low carb diets are notorious for people quitting them. And the yo-yoing of ingesting high fat foods is just plain unhealthy no matter how you look at it.
I am in total agreement with you. Even as a Type 2 diabetic, I eat this way (my blood sugar is improving greatly since being diagnosed). Like you said PORTION SIZE IS KEY! I eat most of my carbs in the morning (whole grain usually) and then work them off. What I think is bad (besides tons of processed and junk foods) is when people eat lots of sugary carbs for breakfast (cinnamon buns, do-nuts, etc.) and baskets of bread with their dinner! You see all these ads for take-out stuffed crust pizzas PLUS garlic sticks or whatever No wonder people are obese! Europeans in general definitely eat healthier and smaller portions. Our friends from France bake their own bread and eat a little for breakfast, but the rest of the day they don't eat any, just very small portions of healthy food. Plus they exercise a lot. Something most Europeans do a lot more of than your average American.

At any rate, I am in the camp who does not want to deny myself anything. I have trained myself not to like sweets, and do not feel deprived if I do not eat them. But I want to eat a little whole grain bread, pasta, or other carbs when I feel like it. I also exercise and work out EVERY SINGLE DAY. I feel good, and not deprived. I have a few lbs to lose and it's coming off steadily. I plan to continue what I'm doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:12 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,994 times
I don't think any one eating this way is saying its the best or only way to eat.
We're saying it's a valid choice, it works, with a high success rate. And there's lots of info out there to back it up.
And some areas even overlap with other ways of eating.
But to over generalize and flat out say it doesn't work for weight loss, or that it's too limiting, or too hard to stick to, or doesn't work long term is horse poo and reeks of ignorance.

My lunch today is a huge salad from whole foods and the only protein is some seeds and two hard boiled eggs. Dressing is EVOL.
I don't think anyone would deny that it's a healthy lunch. And even with all those veggies, it still fits into my low carb lifestyle.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Just now re-reading Gary Taubes' book: Good Calories/Bad Calories. It's very well researched.

From what I've read so far, it seems that eating high-fat--saturated is fine--but not trans-fats. To preserve health, prevent heart attacks and diabetes, the book supports eating little/no processed carbs. Whole grains okay in smaller amounts.

And sugar? Cut it out. It's sweet poison.

If you do those simple things, medical/scientific research seems to support a high level of wellness.

This way of eating seems close to Atkins and South Beach and more Paleo than not. I used to spurn Atkins but now I'm eating more meat/eggs/chicken and more good fats. More vegetables. My health and weight are fine. Carbs seem to fatten me up and give me "Wheat Belly"--which is the title of another book about avoiding carbs.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,994 times
Yup, Gary's book is what got me started and it obviously works.
For those who don't like to read, this is a great set of videos of one of his talks.

1 of 10 - Gary Taubes at the Walnut Creek Library on 4/2/11 - Rivendell Bicycle Works - YouTube

Old 08-03-2012, 03:02 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
I try and eat according to the Four Pillars of Food, the plan laid out by Dr. Catherine Shanahan in Deep Nutrition. She explores the "four pillars" of traditional foods from indigenous peoples around the world and the foods that ancient hunter-gatherer societies thrived on. It's beyond both paleo and primal diets and explores how important it is to feed our genes the foods that will allow them to function at their best. Since I've been eating this way, I've lost 20 lbs. and feel better than I have in years.

Amazon.com: Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food (9780615228389): Catherine Shanahan, Luke Shanahan: Books

Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
[*]Mente A, et al. A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Apr 13;169(7):659-69.[/list]
There were no clear effects of dietary fat changes on total mortality or cardiovascular mortality…
no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.
But wait, what about butter and other high fat dairy specifically? Well, actually people consuming it are if anything thinner and healthier than others:
The observational evidence does not support the hypothesis that dairy fat or high-fat dairy foods contribute to obesity or cardiometabolic risk…
This means that the scientific foundation of the low fat dietary advice has fallen. The reasons for it today are mainly economical (low fat high sugar products are very lucrative and finances a lot of lobbying), combined with old-fashioned prestige and inertia.
Actually.....no, it just means you're selectively quoting these research articles. For example, take the first one, you don't find any support for a diet high in saturated fat (i.e., western dietary pattern):

"In applying a predefined algorithm, we identified strong evidence of a causal relationship for protective factors, including intake of vegetables, nuts, and monounsaturated fatty acids and Mediterranean, prudent, and high-quality dietary patterns, and harmful factors, including intake of trans–fatty acids and foods with a high glycemic index or load and a western dietary pattern."

All the article claimed, in terms of saturated fat, is that it didn't find strong evidence that high amounts of saturated fat was linked to cardiovascular disease. It made no claim as to whether it was protective....none at all.

The second article:

"Most recently, however, an analysis conducted in a pooled cohort of studies showed a lower CHD risk when saturated fat was replaced with polyunsaturated fat and increased nonfatal myocardial infarction"

None of these articles support the idea that animal based saturated fats are good for you....just, at best, that the link between heart disease and saturated fat intake is nuanced, that is, it depends a lot on other dietary choices as well.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
My lunch today is a huge salad from whole foods and the only protein is some seeds and two hard boiled eggs. Dressing is EVOL.
I don't think anyone would deny that it's a healthy lunch. And even with all those veggies, it still fits into my low carb lifestyle.
I would Assuming you are using some fat-based dress (no idea what EVOL refers to).

The things that Americans deem health foods are, ironically, usually the opposite. A salad, though it may have more vitamins, is usually a higher fat food that a cheeseburger.

A salad with seeds, eggs and a fat-based dressing is going to be around 80~90% fat and, as a result, will often provide a poor level of satiation.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Actually.....no, it just means you're selectively quoting these research articles. .
I'm not selectively quoting anything. I linked to a blog of a physician in Sweden who recommends LCHF, low carb high fat diets. There is a growing number of practicing physicians around the world starting to recommend this way of eating for their patients and they are getting great results.

To tell you the truth, I don't really care about the accepted research. I care about results. These diets were accepted until the last 40 years or so.

And if the link between HF and cardiovascular problems can't be established after 40 years of hearing how the steak, eggs and bacon will kill you, but the sugary cereal and pasta is heart healthy, it should cause you to question the advice.

And even if you tolerate carbs well, I'd worry a bit about that glycemic load from starches. A growing number of physicians are calling Alzheimers disease type III diabetes.

To each his own I suppose.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not selectively quoting anything. I linked to a blog of a physician in Sweden who recommends LCHF, low carb high fat diets.
Of course you were......the articles weren't supportive of what you're trying to say.

As for as a physician recommending a low-carb diet....who cares? You can find vastly more physicians recommending rather different diets.....

Quote:
And if the link between HF and cardiovascular problems can't be established after 40 years of hearing how the steak, eggs and bacon will kill you, but the sugary cereal and pasta is heart healthy, it should cause you to question the advice.
There are numerous studies that establish that diets high in saturated fat are correlated with increased risk for heart disease and nobody ever claimed that "sugary cereal and paste" are heart healthy.

Quote:
And even if you tolerate carbs well, I'd worry a bit about that glycemic load from starches.
Why? People have been consuming diets high in starchy foods for thousand of years without problem. Furthermore, starchy foods vary greatly in their glycemic loads...

Of course when you say "starches" what you really have in mind is "sugary cereal and pasta", that is refined carbohydrates. Those aren't good for you......but there are numerous starchy foods that are packed with nutrients, fiber, etc that are great for you.

If you take two people:

#1 Eats a lot of refined carbohydrates, moderate fat.
#2 Eats few refined carbohydrates, higher fat from animal sources.

I would agree that #2, depending on overall genetics, is usually going to be healthier. But that doesn't mean low-carb diets are good, it just means that refined carbohydrates are bad.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I would Assuming you are using some fat-based dress (no idea what EVOL refers to).

The things that Americans deem health foods are, ironically, usually the opposite. A salad, though it may have more vitamins, is usually a higher fat food that a cheeseburger.

A salad with seeds, eggs and a fat-based dressing is going to be around 80~90% fat and, as a result, will often provide a poor level of satiation.

Pure nonsense. Setting aside the question of whether saturated fat is good or bad for you, of course you will have a high level of satiation eating such foods. That should not even be controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss